•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM xwa 13MM or Morpheus 12.5MM for binoculars?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SkyGo

SkyGo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:13 AM

Just got APM 45 degree 82mm APO binocular, and am considering buy a pair of eyepieces. 

Should I get APM xwa 13MM or Morpheus 12.5MM? Any suggestions are appreciated.

#2 SkyGo

SkyGo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:14 AM

I don't wear glasses. Thanks.

#3 havasman

havasman

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:18 AM

IPD is going to be more important than the small difference between those fine eyepieces. Whichever one fits the structure of your face should be excellent.

#4 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Aurora

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:33 AM

Just got APM 45 degree 82mm APO binocular, and am considering buy a pair of eyepieces. 

Should I get APM xwa 13MM or Morpheus 12.5MM? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I haven't tried eyepieces you are interested in but I have tried many pairs :)

100 degree AFOV eyepiece didn't work for me.  If I were to choose between those two, I would go with longer eye relief and slimmer barrel one, Morpheus 12.5.

How about APM HiFW 12.5mm pair?  It is very good for binoviewing.  Yes, I have tried them.  It was good.

Tammy

#5 Rexadria

Rexadria

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zagreb, Croatia

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:41 AM

I don't have 13mm XWA, but can give you some useful info, regardin XWA's in general.

I've got/very often use a pair of 9mm XWA EP's with my 100mm 45°ED APO's, and I love them.
But, a word of caution:
You have to have the right IPD, and use them without rubber eye-cups.
Since this is a 100 EP, you will have to pres your eyes a little bit closer to the EP, in order to get the entire FOV (and "entire FOV" is the sole reason you are getting the 100° EP, isn't it?). With the eye-cups "on", this will result in establishing "to much" contact with EP'S, which will consequently cause shaking of the image. Not to much, but enough to distract your observation.

Les bothersome with low magnification, more with higher (9mm +...)
By removing the eye-cups, you'l be able to see clearly (at least, I am) the entire 100°, without shaking.
Once the shaking is "out of the picture", the shire "Immersion"/"Wow" effect of 100° FOV is breath taking.
I love my 9mm Morpheus, and use them often (when I want to observe with eye-cups "on", in order to block stray-light, which is possible with Morph's), but 76° yust can't beat the 100°, if you know how to observe without moving your eyeballs to much (focus on central portion of the image, and observe the edge of the field with your peripheral vision)...and, of course - maintain right distance from EP, without need for a ER eye-cups.
I would like to try a 13mm XWA's, but since I have a pair of Docters, which are satisfying all of may needs in that range, I did not feel an urge to do that.

Of course...all of this is possible, if you don't wear glasses.

Edited by Rexadria, 25 October 2020 - 08:37 AM.

#6 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:37 AM

IME the ability to reach Focus has been a huge factor in determining which eyepieces I use.

Not sure about that Binoscope or EP's but something to consider.

#7 Moravianus

Moravianus

Apollo

• Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:06 AM

I feel like Rexadria when using my APM 9mm XWA in the 120 bino. He is right that best, you can try them out and see whether you can "work" with them.

#8 SkyGo

SkyGo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:02 AM

Thanks a lot to all of you!

I ordered 13mm from Lunt, but xwa 13mm is out of stock. Emailed to them, several times, and seldom got response on time...

#9 Moravianus

Moravianus

Apollo

• Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:40 PM

Starman1 has them in stock or you can cancel and wait for some Black Friday deals.

#10 SkyGo

SkyGo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:54 PM

Thanks. I just cancelled the order in Lunt. It seems they prefer to phone calls, not emails. Then no cancelling records. Not sure when I will get the refund. First time to do business with them - and the last time.

Starman1 has them in stock or you can cancel and wait for some Black Friday deals.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics