•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommend Mini Windows PC w/ hotspot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bill001

Bill001

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:03 AM

Hi,

I see a number of mini PCs on the market. Can anyone recommend a mini they are using? I’d like 4-usb ports. Are folks using a dongle to make a wifi hotspot?

thnx

b

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:11 AM

I recommend getting a powered hub rather than worrying about the number of ports on a small computer and putting the small computer at the base of your mount. You really need a router if you want wireless access from (say) your laptop to the computer at the mount if you're using Windows 10. I'm sure that there's some other way to do it but you can buy a tiny wireless router for about 30 dollars.

Rgrds-Ross

• George N, Pauls72, mrlovt and 1 other like this

#3 NoDarkSkies

NoDarkSkies

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado City Colorado

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:41 AM

I was thinking on this one. OptiPlex 7080 Micro

desktop-optiplex-7080-micro-pdp-mod4.jpg

• Bill001 likes this

#4 ryanha

ryanha

Apollo

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:47 AM

I got an Intel NUC which has a "lid" upgrade that has an extra 2 USB ports on it for a total of 6 so I don't use an external hub.

I just use the built in WiFi which connects to my home WiFi extender so I also don't have an external router.  Works great.  It also can be powered on 12V so if one day I unify my power it will be easy.

I bought from simplynuc.com but B&H Photo also has a selection.  You can get cheaper ones on Amazon but my guess is that they have unlicensed versions of Windows.

Is your scenario remote (e.g. no local WiFi?). If so then probably a small remote wifi router is easiest though you can set up your network as peer to peer (e.g. with your laptop as a hotspot)

--Ryan

• Bill001 likes this

#5 Omeganon

Omeganon

Vostok 1

• Loc: Joelton, TN

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:51 AM

I got this one — https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

I’m still waiting for my telescope but my testing on-site and using RealVNC to remotely control NINA, PHD2, etc, etc all worked out fine. 

• Bill001 likes this

#6 Bill001

Bill001

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:54 AM

I got this one — https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

I’m still waiting for my telescope but my testing on-site and using RealVNC to remotely control NINA, PHD2, etc, etc all worked out fine. 

That is nice

#7 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:14 PM

The one Nodarkskies selected is perfect. I buy the same computers (more or less) refurbished with i5 chips for less than 300 dollars. Dell and HP make the same form factor.

Not using a hub means lots of long usb cables. Lots of long USB cables mean lots of USB problems. Lots of long USB cables are a bad thing at 2AM when you need to adjust something. This can be somewhat mitigated by very careful cabling, but over the years, having just two cables - one USB and one power between my computer and my mount has been trouble free. 

Rgrds-Ross

• mrlovt likes this

#8 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:30 PM

I like my StarTech 7 port USB3 hub mounted at my telescope.

Just 3 cables to come off the mount, 1 - USB3, 2 - power cables. (Three small wires)

All "cable clutter" is fixed at the telescope, with 18" USB cables to my cameras, focuser, and a 5' cable from my mount to my hub.

Virtually Plug and Play.

No need for a computer on my mount, just my Baby Dell, 2 in one Laptop/Tablet tabled aside my mount.

Using Windows 10 Home Edition, this small package with display, WiFi's via Tight Vnc to my indoor computer.

I tried an Intel Stick computer for a while, but it never could WiFi reliably indoors, no matter what antennae's or boosters I tried. And I was wearing a trench through the house walking back and forth trying to use and align my equipment. (Do to no visual at the mount) All to have it drop out in the middle of imaging. gaah.gif

But my currant combination has been excellent.

I have a 128Gig micro SD card in the Dells slot that I store years of images and files on. I transfer it to work with the images saved on it, into my desk computer.

So maybe you are wondering what this looks like:

Telescope Imaging 1w

Star Tech 1

And maybe you are wondering what it works like:

Alberio Post Processed Lagoon Nebula 13000 stack filtered W

Eastern Veil Nebula 300s 10 3000s Repositioned W

Eastern Veil Nebula 300s 10 3000s Lower Part W

Edited by SonnyE, 28 November 2020 - 03:06 PM.

• mrlovt and Bill001 like this

#9 Pauls72

Pauls72

Gemini

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:49 PM

I found using software to make the PC a WiFi hot spot was unreliable. Too many times I needed a monitor and keyboard/mouse to connect everything.

My Mini-PC  connects to my WiFi router at home.

For in the field I have a cheap WiFi router that runs off 12V. I gave it the same name and password. So no configurati9on changes are required when I go out to a remote site.

• Bill001 likes this

#10 Xeroid

Xeroid

Soyuz

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:00 PM

What is it you wish do with a "mini-pc"?

Why do you need a "hot spot?"

Do you prefer USB3 or USB2?

- image capture?

- Scope control?

- Focus control?

- Guide/ OAG?

- AC or 12 voltt source?

- Remote view/control?

- All the above?

Hi,

I see a number of mini PCs on the market. Can anyone recommend a mini they are using? I’d like 4-usb ports. Are folks using a dongle to make a wifi hotspot?

thnx

b

#11 Joe G

Joe G

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:49 PM

I have this Minix.  It only has three USB 3.0 ports but my my ZWO camera has two USB 2.0 ports so everything works great. 

I'd make sure what you buy has Windows 10 Pro so you can use Windows Remote Desktop.  You can control the mini PC with a laptop or tablet/phone.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This cheap router works:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Bill001 likes this

#12 scopewizard

scopewizard

Apollo

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:55 PM

I use a Beelik X55, 8gb, 256gb, 4 x USB3, Win 10 pro, microSD 32gb card.

I set the minipc wifi to 5g and connect to a TP-AC750 in router mode (5g) while in the field. It works great up to 75'.

At home, it connects to my home wifi. Everything is mounted on my scope except for the AC750 router.

I use Win RDP to remote control either using my laptop or Samsung tablet.

Control using the minipc USBs are the guiding scope, main camera and cooler, motor focus and scope via mount usb.

If needed, I can use the hub on the camera (2 x USB2 in and USB3 out to the minipc usb3) 

I have NINA, APT, PHD2, Sharpcap Pro, Guide9, CPWI and Stellarium on the minipc, 190 gb free for imaging + 32 gb microsd card.

Mini-pc was $350, router $34 which I power with 20000 mha 5v power pack, $25.

I can get up to 50 hrs on the router before needing power pack recharge.

I set as needed the pack 10 to 30 feet from the scope to extend my range.

• Bill001 likes this

#13 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:18 PM

Well, first of all, before bothering with Win10 Pro (unless you can score a free upgrade) consider Google Remote Desktop instead.  That works over LAN or WAN which is a nice feature. Mostly over the WAN I use AnyDesk but GRD works great as well. 

My personal preference is to keep the computer off the OTA. First, I have 4 OTA's and only one computer per mount. The total difference is 1 USB cable

I had an intel M3 stick and the first time it failed to boot I had to tear down the system, bring it into the house, figure it out and reinstall it. Now I just pull the USB cable and I'm ready to look at it in a light warm environment. 

Many of the least powerful boxes will take forever to complete a Win10 update as well which can really be annoying. 

My cheap i5 computers at the base of my mounts cost very little (refurbished at around 200 dollars) and I run have anything I want, whenever I want. Response time is snappy. (Since mine are so cheap, I keep a backup ready to go, if one breaks down.)

I also don't like a computer sitting out directly in the cold/wet at night. Mine are tucked away under overhangs and will never get rained on (unless we have a hurricane).  These are designed for office use, not for use it low temperatures and high humidity. 

I've been doing this now in 4 different systems for going on 4 years and while it's just one data point, I really find it's much better than the "computer on the OTA" at least for my own use cases.

Rgrds-Ross

• Bill001 likes this

#14 scopewizard

scopewizard

Apollo

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 28 November 2020 - 06:32 PM

Well, first of all, before bothering with Win10 Pro (unless you can score a free upgrade) consider Google Remote Desktop instead.  That works over LAN or WAN which is a nice feature. Mostly over the WAN I use AnyDesk but GRD works great as well. 

My personal preference is to keep the computer off the OTA. First, I have 4 OTA's and only one computer per mount. The total difference is 1 USB cable

I had an intel M3 stick and the first time it failed to boot I had to tear down the system, bring it into the house, figure it out and reinstall it. Now I just pull the USB cable and I'm ready to look at it in a light warm environment. 

Many of the least powerful boxes will take forever to complete a Win10 update as well which can really be annoying. 

My cheap i5 computers at the base of my mounts cost very little (refurbished at around 200 dollars) and I run have anything I want, whenever I want. Response time is snappy. (Since mine are so cheap, I keep a backup ready to go, if one breaks down.)

I also don't like a computer sitting out directly in the cold/wet at night. Mine are tucked away under overhangs and will never get rained on (unless we have a hurricane).  These are designed for office use, not for use it low temperatures and high humidity. 

I've been doing this now in 4 different systems for going on 4 years and while it's just one data point, I really find it's much better than the "computer on the OTA" at least for my own use cases.

Rgrds-Ross

Everyone has a different situation and location to deal with. I often take my scope out of town where power is not available for larger PC.

I updated Win 10 home to Pro for less than $10. Many minipc come with Pro version.

Turn off update in the software, and do updates in the daytime when needed.

a minipc creates its own heat and dew is nil. I have use mine as low as -10c. if raining I am not imaging.

I can remove my minipc from my scopes, same setup on both WO132 and C8 edgehd, in less than 30 sec.

I have absolutely no slowdown while imaging or controlling the minipc with a 5g connection even better on my home wifi.

Only one power wire goes to my moving scope and feeds everything including dew heaters.

BTW, Win RDP is the most efficient way to control a remote Windows PC.

In the end, your system works for you where you operate from but if you had to go somewhere with no AC power, your setup would have to change to adapt to a battery.

• Bill001 likes this

#15 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:38 PM

I use almost exactly the same setup for star parties. I just plug everything into a battery which I already own. (I run my observatory systems off batteries as well.) So, it's trivial for me to have no AC power. I don't stay up all night, so the second computer (cheap i5 micro) is rarely even turned on.  The only adaptation that I have to do is to set up my tiny wireless router so that the computers can talk to each other as necessary. That let's me use RDP or whatever. You'd be surprised at how little power these computers take. 

FWIW, it's not just a question of rain getting on the computer. Having it sitting atop the OTA means that it's exposed to dew and fog as well. If you use a system as much as I do in an unattended mode, for any length of time, you'll be surprised at what can happen, particularly if you aren't planning to stay up all night with it. Between sessions at the observatory, in my back yard and at star parties (not so much anymore) I probably run 100 sessions a year. (NB - I do some outreach with my systems so some nights are tutorials.)

I've used the kind of computer you are recommending and I found it tedious to use. Every single task was noticeably slower to the point where I was wasting too much time setting things up each night. Then when I needed to debug a problem it was the same deal. On the proverbial perfect night, you are right that it works just fine. I also found that it took me more like 5 minutes to disassemble the system. YMMV.

When your solution has been running for 400 sessions without a failure, send me a PM and I'll eat one of my hats. All that you are accomplishing over having a hub is eliminating one USB cable. 

Rgrds-Ross

#16 Astronut07

Astronut07

Explorer 1

• Loc: Sydney. Australia

Posted 30 November 2020 - 05:03 AM

Hi

I run a Beelink mini pc which has 4 USB3 ports mounted on top of scope.
It is powered by a Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Advance which also has 4 USB3 hub, this arrangement has served me well

I have posted reply to similar post earlier here:

https://www.cloudyni...-pc/?p=10618088

Attached Thumbnails

• 32151001-0BF6-4ECE-879D-9749184106D3.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics