•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Apple M1 chip and Pixinsight not playing nice!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Kitchener, Ontario

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:14 PM

It was time to get a new Laptop- Apple just announced new New M1 chip in the laptop line up. From all the reviews its a super fast chip and low power requirements even beating out higher end Macs in performance. I decided to get one!

its running on a different language and processor  same as the phones  ARM chip I believe but has an emulator that is supposed to run all Intel based software.

I downloaded Pixinsight and sorted out how to get that installed on a new machine - Had it previously on two Mac computers and running well they are older machines.

Pixinsight installed no issue, when I try and run the program the usual Pixinsight screen loads up for a brief second then the program crashes.

Has anyone else had success with Pixinsight and the New M1 chips (laptops) from Apple?

#2 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:27 PM

I would visit their forum which is responsive and especially for OS related questions.

Edited by MikiSJ, 29 January 2021 - 07:27 PM.

• Tim and Starsareus like this

#3 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:36 PM

You have to delete the Starnet module. Then PI will work normally under Rosetta 2, for the native version you will have to wait at least 1 year.

• Tim likes this

#4 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Kitchener, Ontario

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:54 PM

You have to delete the Starnet module. Then PI will work normally under Rosetta 2, for the native version you will have to wait at least 1 year.

Are you using a MAC?

you are correct! I deleted that file and it loaded and updated. Thank you very much greatly appreciate the tip!

I can't believe how quickly I got a response and issue resolved.

I will miss not having that module. Perhaps the persons who coded that piece can do a Starnet patch for us M1 users - soon all new Apple computers will move to M version chips. 

#5 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:27 PM

Yes, I have a Mac, but not an M1. Although one is on the way wink.gif .

PI is a very complex program and it's going to take a while to go native for Mac Mx's. You can read more on the PI forums.

https://pixinsight.c...ocessors.15538/

• Tim likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics