•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tracking satellites with mount

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 droe

droe

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:14 PM

Is there software out there that can allow your mount to track satellites. 

For example, Stellarium has shows satellite and can slew your mount; can it slew your mount to track satellites? Is there other software that can do it with a low-end or mid-level mount? I have seen it done in upper end mounts.

#2 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:34 PM

search cn. topic comes up often.

Cn member ngchunter has written some code yt channel:astronomy live.

There are limitations with any as a low low earth orbit ones less than 500km (iss,starlink,etc)approaches zenith and pass faster overhead than a mount can move if has such pass that night YMMV. But anything near horizon up can be passing slow enough for motors to keep speed with.

The one ngchunter has i think gives you ability to center sat in frame since depending on FL and accuracy of orbit data and synch time, it's easy to be off the mark.

• droe likes this

#3 ollie31770

ollie31770

Mariner 2

• Loc: NM & TX

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:20 PM

There is this software: https://www.heavenscape.com/index.html

I have not tried it but might be what you are looking for.

• droe and 555aaa like this

#4 daw316

daw316

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:39 PM

+1 for SkyTrack at heavenscape link above.  Does leap frog tracking with ASCOM mounts.  Works great with my iOptron CEM25.  Can watch satellites almost continuously for about an hour or so in the evening.  Great fun!

• droe likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics