•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

All Sky Plate Solver in Astro Photography Tool settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesilver

bluesilver

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tasmania, Australia

Posted 29 May 2021 - 03:28 AM

Hi, Just a bit of a technical question i guess you could say.
I am referring to the program called Astro Photography Tool ( APT )
And inside that program i am referring to PointCraft.
Then inside that i am referring to PlateSolve 2

So in PointCraft settings, you have the option to use Platesolve 2

I have set up the settings in All Sky Plate Solver for my scope and downloaded the recommended maps using the wizard and my camera specs.

All is good and works a treat.

Now if i want to add a second telescope to me programs how do i actually go about that?

Do i just set up the wizard in All Sky Plate Solver for the second scope and let it automatically down load the maps it needs, just like i did for my original scope?

Then next time i use APT i just select the Focal length of the telescope that i want to use?

Am probably making this all sound very complicated and confusing everyone in what i am asking?

My scope is a Skywatcher Evostar 150ED, focal length of 1200mm
The second scope i am looking at is the Skywatcher Esprit 80ED,
focal length 400mm

So just basically looking at how i can have both scopes setup in APT and just select which one i am using.
As how i see it and could be wrong, but PointCraft uses Plate solve 2 to solve the images you want to image and to do that Plate Solve 2 uses All Sky Plate Solver.
Which then means that All Sky Plate solver need the maps for the Focal length of your scope plus the dimensions of your camera.

Dose this all make sense or am i just confusing everyone in what i am trying to ask help for?
Sorry if i have.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Edited by bluesilver, 29 May 2021 - 03:28 AM.

#2 robbieg147

robbieg147

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 29 May 2021 - 05:40 AM

At the bottom of the "Tools" tab in APT you enter the effective focal length you are using, and plate solving should work fine as long as you have downloaded the files for the focal lengths you plan to use.

#3 MikeECha

MikeECha

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 29 May 2021 - 09:13 AM

Hi, Just a bit of a technical question i guess you could say.
I am referring to the program called Astro Photography Tool ( APT )
And inside that program i am referring to PointCraft.
Then inside that i am referring to PlateSolve 2

So in PointCraft settings, you have the option to use Platesolve 2

I have set up the settings in All Sky Plate Solver for my scope and downloaded the recommended maps using the wizard and my camera specs.

All is good and works a treat.

Now if i want to add a second telescope to me programs how do i actually go about that?

Do i just set up the wizard in All Sky Plate Solver for the second scope and let it automatically down load the maps it needs, just like i did for my original scope?

Then next time i use APT i just select the Focal length of the telescope that i want to use?

Am probably making this all sound very complicated and confusing everyone in what i am asking?

My scope is a Skywatcher Evostar 150ED, focal length of 1200mm
The second scope i am looking at is the Skywatcher Esprit 80ED,
focal length 400mm

So just basically looking at how i can have both scopes setup in APT and just select which one i am using.
As how i see it and could be wrong, but PointCraft uses Plate solve 2 to solve the images you want to image and to do that Plate Solve 2 uses All Sky Plate Solver.
Which then means that All Sky Plate solver need the maps for the Focal length of your scope plus the dimensions of your camera.

Dose this all make sense or am i just confusing everyone in what i am trying to ask help for?
Sorry if i have.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.

You can create profiles. By default APT opens the General profile. You can see which profile is active at the top of the Setup tab. You can change your settings and then save it as new profile. The next time you open APT it will ask you which profile you want to use.

As for the plate solver. I would recomend you look into ASTAP. Very fast solver for both blind and near solver.

#4 bluesilver

bluesilver

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tasmania, Australia

Posted 29 May 2021 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the replies,  appreciated.

So basically i have to download the maps / settings in All Sky Plate solver for both focal lengths?

Than change the profile for which scope i am using in APT.

I can't say that i have looked into ASTAP,  I have heard people mention it every now and then on here,  for the sounds of it,  it could be worth a look at.

#5 MikeECha

MikeECha

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 29 May 2021 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the replies,  appreciated.

So basically i have to download the maps / settings in All Sky Plate solver for both focal lengths?

Than change the profile for which scope i am using in APT.

I can't say that i have looked into ASTAP,  I have heard people mention it every now and then on here,  for the sounds of it,  it could be worth a look at.

ASTAP is the way to go. Fast solving, current support/development. Download one database and that is it.

Yes APT takes care of the communication with the solver.  Of course  you have to set up Point Craft. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics