•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wheeley Bar vs Scopebuggy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fluxrope

fluxrope

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:54 PM

Aloha,

I'm trying to make my CGX-L 14 EdgeHD portable.  I'm moving in and out from house to lanai (10'-15').  I have a door threshold and step to clear.  It rains a lot on Kauai so I need to be able to move relatively quickly.  I've been reading lots of discussion about JMI wheeley bar vs Scopebuggy, but I don't get a sense of which is more stable/solid other than some questions about the Scopebuggy QC.  If my equipment weighs in the 250lbs to 300lbs range is there a consensus of which dolly would be better suited to this config?  Any real life pros and cons?

Mahalo,

Rich

#2 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 June 2021 - 08:19 PM

Aloha,

I'm trying to make my CGX-L 14 EdgeHD portable.  I'm moving in and out from house to lanai (10'-15').  I have a door threshold and step to clear.  It rains a lot on Kauai so I need to be able to move relatively quickly.  I've been reading lots of discussion about JMI wheeley bar vs Scopebuggy, but I don't get a sense of which is more stable/solid other than some questions about the Scopebuggy QC.  If my equipment weighs in the 250lbs to 300lbs range is there a consensus of which dolly would be better suited to this config?  Any real life pros and cons?

Mahalo,

Rich

Aloha Rich,  Your stuff weighs 250lbs,  what is the spread of the legs of the tripod??  How wide is the door??   To be honest, at 250lbs + I would probably build it my self.   No matter the system you come up with it will be top heavy..  If you go with a three wheel system like Scopebuggy,  for stability reasons push it with the two wheels in front.   My neighbor built his for a 12" meade LX200.  A local machine shop welded channel iron in a T formation,  he rolls it in and out of the garage.  He is now making another one for his smaller set up.  This time he is using a hydraulic lift cart,  Jegs brand from Harbor Freight 500lb capacity.  The idea is simple, make another triangle stabilizer / eyepiece holder attach it to the tripod and roll the cart underneath,  secure and lift the tripod,  roll it in - roll it out.  

I think it is in the Equipment section here,   search for scopebuggy / wheelie bar.   These people came up with and made some nice stuff.  some used tube steel or aluminum others used 2 x 6 wood.   Some slick stuff.     Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics