•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

U2K problems

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 dogstar

dogstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:49 PM

About 5 years ago, I traded my refractor for an U2k. I could never get it colluminated correctly and stopped gazing. I am now in a position where I have the time (empty nester...) and trying to get the U2k working correctly.
I installed some of Bob's knobs and according to a basic star test, It is fairly well colluminated. I still cannot get clear focus on anything. Even after plenty of cool down time, the moon was just a fuzz bright blob with a 35mm ultima eyepiece. On top of this the up and down slewing motor died last week...
What should I do with this scope? Any advice would be much appreciated!

#2 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:48 PM

If you're near an astronomy club, no doubt some of the members could help, as could a nearby dealer.

However, note that due to its brightness, the Moon can overwhelm your night vision and appear out-of-focus - stars, however, should focus pretty well.

#3 dogstar

dogstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

Thanks - Stars do focus fairly well. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get a new scope :smirk:

#4 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:09 PM

That solution is always endorsed here on Cloudy Nights! :grin:

#5 Carol L

Carol L

Cosmos

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:51 AM

Hi dogstar, I was a member of the Ultima 2000 Yahoo group when I still had my U2K.. you might want to sign up and give it a look-see. :)

As far as the Moon looking like a blob, I haven't the faintest idea why it would do that if the stars focus fairly well. Is there something like a neighbor's chimney which might be disturbing your local seeing conditions? Violent air turbulence will definitely make the Moon look like jiggly-mush. If the stars you looked at were in a different area of the sky though, that would account for the fact that they look decent compared to the Mooon.
Just guessing. :shrug:

#6 Mike Foster

Mike Foster

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:10 AM

Hi Dogstar,
I have a U2K now and like it a lot. The optics in mine are the strong point. Maybe the moon was the last thing you looked at and the corrector was dewed over?

As far as the high speed altitude motor goes have you taken the plastic cover off the fork arm and checked the wiring connector? Mine had developed a tracking motor issue with it's connector under that cover.

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics