•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Possible issue with skywatcher Equinox 120ED Refractor!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Supernova74

Supernova74

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 09 May 2024 - 03:06 AM

Hi guys 

I’m thinking of purchasing a skywatcher Equinox 120ED optical tube assembly from one of my dealer freinds in the Uk and names will not be mentioned here for obvious reasons.Anyway there is an opportunity that i can purchase this scope at a very sensible price point but there could be a “BUT”.Due to work load and constantly being busy 24-7 I might of discovered a small issue occurring.I have provided two pictures below and to my eyes anyway and certain it’s not the camera angle or exscuse the pun! even a optical illusion of some description as something looks adrift,which looks like a aluminium seal is not sitting properly around the outside of the objective lens assembly and was woundering if this is the case can it simply be fixed,repaired or just placed back without tampering with the actual objective lens assembly.

I don’t think this is something serious but having more than one brain on this would definitely help.

Attached Thumbnails

• B7409C7E-B366-46E9-A75F-CECD0C57F13B.jpeg
  • AA578F5C-A099-4671-A588-5F27D18A0525.jpeg

#2 chris charen

chris charen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orewa, Auckland. New Zealand

Posted 09 May 2024 - 03:34 AM

I have had every ED Synta scope over some 15 years inc, the 80,100 and 120ED.

I would be concerned if that happened to the lens in any of my scopes.

Maybe that is why you are getting it at a 'sensible' price.

I may have affect collimation and / or the cell / lens integrity.

Prior to buying I would attempt to get a professional opinion.

Alternatively there are other used ones on the market that do not have that defect and you may pay more but you will have peace of mind.

Chris

#3 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 09 May 2024 - 07:24 AM

I would be concerned that someone had their golden screwdriver in the works there.  Are you able to comprehensively test the scope?  You said it is a "dealer friend".  What does he/she say? 

It occurs to me that this could be an issue on resale.  But if the price was reasonable enough and the optical performance excellent.....

• 25585 likes this

#4 Dave Novoselsky

Dave Novoselsky

Apollo

• Loc: SE Wisconsin/Chicago

Posted 09 May 2024 - 07:42 AM

I would be concerned that someone had their golden screwdriver in the works there.  Are you able to comprehensively test the scope?  You said it is a "dealer friend".  What does he/she say? 

It occurs to me that this could be an issue on resale.  But if the price was reasonable enough and the optical performance excellent.....

“It occurs to me that this could be an issue on resale.  But if the price was reasonable enough and the optical performance excellent.....”. Then by definition it’s not a ‘problem’ but a minor cosmetic matter. A telescope that provides excellent optical performance is what it is designed to provide.  In other words, just relax.

#5 kksmith

kksmith

Apollo

• Loc: Montana

Posted 09 May 2024 - 08:22 AM

Is this something you can see via viewing through the open draw tube? As in visible in the optical path?

#6 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 09 May 2024 - 08:40 AM

Are those your photos or were they sent to you by the dealer friend?  If the latter, can you go and physically inspect it?

#7 Supernova74

Supernova74

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 09 May 2024 - 11:29 AM

Well the latest update is that the objective lens seems to be ok and quite possibly a trick of the light or camera angle.I asked for the dew sheild to be extended and that concern,issue seemed to of disappeard.however once it arrives tomorrow will have a full examination of the objective and test it optically.if there is truly some kind of unseen issues occurring I can simply return it and get my money back.

Attached Thumbnails

• 02D4DFD1-2399-4085-8380-79563B4834F4.jpeg

• Lookitup likes this

#8 Supernova74

Supernova74

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 09 May 2024 - 11:44 AM

I have examined the original picture again very closely and this peculiar! anomaly is the only word i can come up with at the moment,to my eyes anyway is some kind of internal reflection 

of the objective lens against the inner assembly.the objective lens seems to be acting like a magnifying glass making the rim appear bent or distorted.

#9 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 09 May 2024 - 10:35 PM

“It occurs to me that this could be an issue on resale.  But if the price was reasonable enough and the optical performance excellent.....”. Then by definition it’s not a ‘problem’ but a minor cosmetic matter. A telescope that provides excellent optical performance is what it is designed to provide.  In other words, just relax.

Sorry friend.  Just not true.  If the OP wishes to resell this scope then it could very well be a problem for the buyer.  OBVIOUSLY it is an issue worth considering. The OP is considering it on an open forum.  And he did this before he ever looked through the scope.  

Even if this issue is purely cosmetic, that alone is important to some people.  Seriously.  A considerable number of buyers would pass on an eyepiece because its missing its original box.  You and I may believe this is just silly but then it is not our opinion that matters.  It is the buyer's opinion that matters.  

"Just relax" was a fairly rude thing to say.  I assume you did not mean the obvious insult. 

It appears that this was a non-issue all along but the OP absolutely did the right thing to question what he was buying. 

Edited by dnrmilspec, 09 May 2024 - 10:39 PM.

#10 Supernova74

Supernova74

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2024 - 03:11 AM

Yes i do intend to move the telescope on but only when a full investigation,examination etc has been undertaken.As I mentioned from my previous post personally it’s just a guessing game at the moment however after looking very closely it looks like a trick of the camera angle also the objective lens is magnifying certain lines so is appearing distorted and looks out of place.we live in a day and age that making do is just not good enough and I strive for perfection in everything i do and being a shade OCD in optics and telescopes in general is not necessarily a bad thing at all.I agree to a certain point that items like eyepieces can be like collectible dinky toys without the boxs some individuals don’t want to know as for obvious reasons holds part of the value and the same goes for more prestigious telescopes like Takahashi you have a paint chip on the OTA or small mark,blemish,scratch on the objective lens you already lost a four figure sum.

I actually go above and beyond when i move on preowned equipment and in this case will even go out of my way to physically polish the tube assembly to showroom condition again if not better!.

Edited by Supernova74, 10 May 2024 - 03:13 AM.

#11 Supernova74

Supernova74

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2024 - 11:28 AM

Received the skywatcher Equinox 120ED this morning all checks out and only a couple of very small pin pricks on the coatings but that’s about it and the normal pitting on the chrome.

Attached Thumbnails

• F3A847C0-3F2E-4CA9-9317-FB9696EA6E97.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics