•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Broken C8 Tripod circa 1985

Tripod
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mattman944

Mattman944

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2024 - 04:56 PM

I have a Celestron Tripod for a C8, circa 1985. One of the plastic pieces at the leg joint is broken. It is marginally usable if the legs are fully extended, but the repaired leg is slightly wobbly. I added a hose clamp to keep the lower leg extended. Unfortunately, although I am tall, the telescope is too high in this position.

Fragments from the broken plastic are stuck at the interface, the lower leg doesn't slide freely as it should.

I am pretty good mechanically, but even if I could find a replacement part, I can't figure out how this section is assembled. There is a trick that I haven't figured out.

A friend had a similar issue with his newer tripod. He had the lower legs welded into a fixed height. My driveway is not level, so this is not a good option for me. Besides, the plastic piece makes my fix more difficult.

Any ideas?

I am about ready to give up and buy a new tripod. My next post will be about wedge hole patterns.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tripod 1985.jpg
  • Tripod Leg Issue2.jpg

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Aurora

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 09 May 2024 - 05:19 PM

Why not just weld the broken tripod leg? That leaves the other two for leveling.

• Celerondon likes this

#3 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 09 May 2024 - 06:21 PM

They were known for that problem.

#4 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 09 May 2024 - 06:23 PM

I have a Celestron Tripod for a C8, circa 1985. One of the plastic pieces at the leg joint is broken. It is marginally usable if the legs are fully extended, but the repaired leg is slightly wobbly. I added a hose clamp to keep the lower leg extended. Unfortunately, although I am tall, the telescope is too high in this position.

Fragments from the broken plastic are stuck at the interface, the lower leg doesn't slide freely as it should.

I am pretty good mechanically, but even if I could find a replacement part, I can't figure out how this section is assembled. There is a trick that I haven't figured out.

A friend had a similar issue with his newer tripod. He had the lower legs welded into a fixed height. My driveway is not level, so this is not a good option for me. Besides, the plastic piece makes my fix more difficult.

Any ideas?

I am about ready to give up and buy a new tripod. My next post will be about wedge hole patterns.

Thanks.

Yes, this is where Celestron went completely wrong.  Horrible tripods.  I've seen shifted plastic liner, seized leg joints, broken clamps, cracked tops.  Some people I knew bought Meade tripods instead. 

If it were me, I'd get rid of the clamp.  Cut 4 slits in the main leg end with a hacksaw or dremel and put some kind of round clamp on the exterior that could cinch around it and tighten it on the the lower leg joint.  In addition, I'd add felt or some kind of wrap to the top of the lower leg joint to insert into the leg joint to take up any wobble that might occur in the upper part of the lower leg joint.

• Mattman944 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics