•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon Rebel XT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 sakass

sakass

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

I am bitten by more astrophotography bugs, and am looking to get a Canon 350D. I have a few "newbie" questions:

Is the Rebel XT the same as the 350D? Apparently a new body-only can be bought for a good price right now.

Would the "unmodded" XT give decent astro images, or is the "mod" rather essential?

Is there a live transfer mode whereby a raw image captured by the camera is transfered directly to a laptop via the USB 2 connection? Would this mean that a large capacity CF memory is not really necessary? (In fact, can this be done without a memory card in the camera?)

To use an ST80 as a telephoto lens for this camera body, is a "T-mount adapter" the only thing that is needed?

Thanks!

SAK

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:53 PM

Welcome SAK,
The XT is the 350. The XTi is the 400. (Pretty sure)
The modded camera is not essential. You can get great results with it. It just won't capture red targets as well. (Ha)
You can still shoot them, you just need longer exposures to get details. If you browse through the DSLR forum, you will see lots of pictures taken with un modified cameras.

#3 Tim in GA

Tim in GA

Apollo

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

Hello SAK,

The camera will not work without a CF card. If you use ImagesPlus, you can setup the program to immediately download every exposure directly to the computer. You will need a T-ring and the adapter to mount in the scope. The William Optics photo adapter is pretty good, and the T-ring can be gotten from several places like Orion, for example. Good luck!

#4 Caver

Caver

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:12 PM

My 350D will immediately download the picture through the USB cable using the Canon EOS software that came with the camera and DSLR Shutter software running the exposure series.

You WILL need a serial cable/connection to make any exposures longer than 30 seconds though.

I found a T-mount at a local camera store for less than $20...but I had to mail order the 2" eyepiece adapter I needed for the C-11.

#5 imjeffp

imjeffp

Aluminum Falcon

• ***--

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

The camera will not work without a CF card.

Not true. There's a menu setting to allow shooting without a card. I always shoot in the observatory without a card and with the camera downloading straight to my Mac. The USB 2 downloads images in about a second.

Your ST80 has t-threads on the end of the drawtube, so yes, all you need is the EOS t-ring for your camera.

Note though, that my ST80 at least suffers a lot of coma at the edges of the frame, plus the expected purple fringes. Here are some shots with a stock XT through an ST80.

You might want to look at this page too.

#6 Tim in GA

Tim in GA

Apollo

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:17 PM

I didn't know that about the card. Cool - I learn something every day.

#7 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:11 PM

You also don't need a laptop and serial/USB cable for exposures over 30 seconds if you get the pricey TC80N3 remote.

It may need a fairly easy mod to work with the 350D - I used a plug and jack to swap ends so mine can be used with any of the Canon DSLRs.

#8 arowana

arowana

Gemini

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:51 PM

If you use the lock on the RS60E3, won't the shutter stay open until you release it?

It wont be timed automatically, but its only 20 bucks.

QUOTE:
The camera can set timed exposures (shutter speeds) from 1/4000 sec. to 30 seconds. For exposures longer than 30 seconds, the user selects M (manual) mode and sets the shutter speed to "B" (Bulb). On this setting, the shutter remains open so long as the shutter button is pressed down. While one can do this with their finger on the shutter button, it is not practical. For such long exposures, you should use a remote shutter release. The wired RS60E3 has a shutter button that locks down for B exposure so you can set it, leave and come back to close the shutter later. With the wireless RC-1 or RC-5 remotes, the first press of the shutter button opens the shutter, then a 2nd press on the remote closes it.

Joey

#9 Duncan Kitchin

Duncan Kitchin

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:58 PM

the Rebel XT and 350D are the same thing, but branded for different markets. The Rebel XT designation is for the US.

What is the source you had in mind for buying one?

Regards
Duncan

#10 sakass

sakass

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the great information and friendly advice from all you "gurus" of astroimaging!

Searching on the web yesterday turned up some "suspiciously low" prices; I was seeing the body only for $279 or $289 with free shipping; but that has disapperaed today and the places are offering it at $349 shipped; very strange. If you search on Google you will find several of these. Sounds very shady?

Here is one place offering it for $299 plus shipping, again hard to believe there is no catch or scam:

http://www.bananaboa.../canondrxt.html

SAK

#11 Tim in GA

Tim in GA

Apollo

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:57 AM

Run away from anyone selling this camera for less than around $400-450. I recently picked up a second Rebel XT from Buydig.com last month. At the time they had the best price, and they can be trusted.

#12 Shadowalker

Shadowalker

Apocaloptimist

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:00 AM

Searching on the web yesterday turned up some "suspiciously low" prices; I was seeing the body only for $279 or $289 with free shipping; but that has disapperaed today and the places are offering it at $349 shipped; very strange. If you search on Google you will find several of these. Sounds very shady?

Here is one place offering it for $299 plus shipping, again hard to believe there is no catch or scam:

http://www.bananaboa.../canondrxt.html

SAK

Sak, that appears to be typical. If you place an order they'll write to you and ask you to call. When you do you'll be pressured to buy all sorts of accessories at highly inflated pricews. When you say "no" they point out that it comes with no manual, no battery, no disks, no nothing, and you have to pay for all those things. If you stick to your guns and insist they fill the order, they will be come abusive and threatening, saying things like "you'll be blackballed from ever ordering anything on the internet again."

Run away.

#13 D_talley

D_talley

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:01 AM

I would say scam. Their support number 718 is in Bronx New York. I noticed they did not have a physical address listed on their web site.

Save your money and go to an established company. Amazon is selling the XT for $479.

#14 NeoDinian

NeoDinian

Experienced Postmaster

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:09 PM

http://www.sheddings...ers-ccifam.html

Part of the "CCI" family of retailers... (currently Operates under 4 different names).

Address: not on website
Phones: 800-342-4191, 718-627-2291 [previously used by tcscamera.com]
Actual Address: 342 Kings Highway, Brooklyn NY 11223 (listed on ShopCartUSA.com)

Domain: registrant: anonymous, 5/24/06

REAL Companies do not register web domains under "anonymous".

Shady company... Typical bait and switch... No warranty, etc...

#15 Duncan Kitchin

Duncan Kitchin

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:05 PM

...again hard to believe there is no catch or scam

And that, in fact, is exactly the tip off.

There is a very well known scam outfit that regularly changes its name as people catch on. Once you know how it works (as already outlined above by Tom) they're very easy to spot. Here are the clues:

1. Absurdly low price on the camera
2. Absurdly high price on accesories (check prices on CF cards, for example)
3. You've never heard of them before
4. Typing their name plus the word "scam" into google shows up more hits that the number of stars in the universe

B&H photo will have a price on any camera that is either the lowest "real" price or within a few percent of it. You may find a little cheaper, but anything more than a little is red flag #1.

good luck...

Regards
Duncan

(edit) Check this link and reference point #2 above...

http://www.bananaboa.../memory128.html

#16 Shadowalker

Shadowalker

Apocaloptimist

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

To moderator: This might make a worthwhile "sticky thread." I think this one explains the dangers of these so-called discounters without bendor bashing.

It's a big problem. I've experienced it myself. It's hard to belive that vendors with such a slick web interface could be such scam artists. But they are.

#17 Duncan Kitchin

Duncan Kitchin

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:17 PM

Tom,
that sounds like a very good idea. One thing, though: the website operators need to be very careful to avoid irritating the vendors in question too much. Even though all of the descriptions are accurate, getting their lawyers sending C&D letters and threatening to sue gets very expensive very quickly.

One possibility: agree between us on some description of best advice to follow and cautions to consider when selecting camera vendors (not mentioning any names) and then have the mods post it as a sticky thread which is then locked.

What do you think?

Regards
Duncan

#18 Shadowalker

Shadowalker

Apocaloptimist

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:34 PM

One possibility: agree between us on some description of best advice to follow and cautions to consider when selecting camera vendors (not mentioning any names) and then have the mods post it as a sticky thread which is then locked.

What do you think?

I think that's a better idea. Get one of us to write up the hazard in generic terms (impossibly low prices, rediculoursly high prices "accessories") and what the results might be, all without mentioning a specific vendor. Keeps CN on the up and up and alerts newbies and veterans alike. If someone wants to deal with them anyway, well, they can't say they haven't been warned.

As far as the original question: Yes, The XT and 350D are the same. And you can expect fantastic results with an unmodified Rebel XT. Here's a link to a photo I took with an unmodified 300D, which is not as good a camera as the 350D.

#19 Duncan Kitchin

Duncan Kitchin

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:05 PM

Tom,
ok. How about I write up a suggestion and PM it to you for comment?

Anybody else want to participate?

Regards
Duncan

#20 NeoDinian

NeoDinian

Experienced Postmaster

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

I don't see any problem with just calling it what it is... The companies in question would NEVER consider sueing, as that would just open them up to more problems. These companies come and go. As one "Name" starts getting troubles, and attorney generals get involved, the company goes Belly-up, and re-opens under a different name... Thats the beauty of free market and how the bankruptcy laws work... It's been going on for a LONG time... The company listed in this thread was originally TCS Camera (The camera source), and when they went belly up, Bannana was started...

I had a close call (Thankfully fixed in time) with another company with the SAME ADDRESS as Banana... But this company (along with many others) are still around... But not for long based on the complaints and pending law-suits I've seen for them...

#21 Shadowalker

Shadowalker

Apocaloptimist

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:33 PM

Tom,
ok. How about I write up a suggestion and PM it to you for comment?

Anybody else want to participate?

Regards
Duncan

Fire away, Duncan. I have a hunch that what we come up with will serve us all quite well.

Tom

#22 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

I don't see any problem with just calling it what it is... The companies in question would NEVER consider sueing, as that would just open them up to more problems.

Jeff, do you by any chance work for Meade? :roflmao:

#23 Duncan Kitchin

Duncan Kitchin

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

Jeff,
not sure I agree; certainly, we could conclude that siccing lawyers on the website is unlikely, but it's a risk issue. As I said, just because they don't have a case doesn't mean they can't make it expensive.

Here's a suggestion: let's leave it to the moderators. Tom and I (and anyone else who is interested) can draft a set of suggestions along the lines suggested earlier, and you (or me, or whoever) can write up a supplemental advisory along the lines you mention here. Then we can submit both as proposals to the moderators for consideration.

Does that work?

Regards
Duncan

#24 NeoDinian

NeoDinian

Experienced Postmaster

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:35 PM

Ok... Without mentioning names..

All these companies work the same. GREAT Deal on the camera to draw you in... All of them with either call you or have you call them to "Confirm" your order... At that time they will try to "Upgrade" your order because (they will tell you), the lens is junk, the battery only lasts 2 hours, you need filters, case, tripod, etc... By the time your done, you've spent 3 times what you could buy the camera legit someplace else, with a bunch of overpriced, "NO-NAME" upgrades...

If you choose NOT to upgrade, you're told that your order in on hold, as the camera is not in stock, and they will call you when it becomes available. At that time, they will try again to upgrade you.

If you try to cancel your order, they will tell you that the order has ALREADY SHIPPED, and they can not cancel it. Although even at that time, they still can't give you a tracking number for the shipment.

Been there.... Went through all the hassle... Called them with my attourney confrenced in and basicly threatened to have my order canceled and CC refunded.. They even "Found" the tracking number and I called UPS and had the order returned to them before it even left New Jersey...

Just make sure you give the reseller ratings site in the article... Let people know how to help themselves.

#25 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Hubble

• Administrators

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

Hi guys - I'm going to consult with my fellow moderators and admins (Sheesh that sounds like a line from The Wizard of OZ!) and I'll let you know what the consensus is on this.

Charlie

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics