•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen LVW 5mm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hummel

Hummel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

Hallo all,
I should first say that I am quite new to all this. I recently purchased a reflector, 135mm, f 720mm, f/5,3 and I am considering the LVW 5mm as my high-power eyepiece. I have the LVW 8mm and like it a lot. I also have a 6mm Vixen Plössl and it disappoints. Very dark and almost no eye relief, I find it difficult to use. Would something like the LVW 5mm be a worthwhile improvement? Thank you for your "views".
- Michael

#2 jtpowers

jtpowers

more clever in the first place

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

I have several LVW's myself. And if you like the 8, you're going to like the 5. I say do it. Without reservation.

Cheers

#3 Covey32

Covey32

Apollo

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

The exit pupil and magnification is what determines "dark", not necessarily the quality or brand of the eyepiece.
Your 6mm plossl is giving you a bit over 1mm of exit pupil and from what you say that is disappointing, so a 5mm eyepiece is going to be even darker. The 8mm is giving you about 90x magnification, so it sounds like maybe you should try an inexpensive 7mm to see if you like the brightness level. A 5mm will be dimmer than the 6mm you don't like.

#4 Hummel

Hummel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

Well, these answers are somewhat contradictory. Good point about exit pupil, Hank. And something to consider. As I mentioned I have not a lot of experience and appreciate such reminders. Thank you.
And now, since it is very late here I will go to bed and check back tomorrow.
- Michael

#5 Talstarone

Talstarone

Lunar Man

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:00 PM

The 5mm Vixen LVW will be a marked improvement over the 6mm Vixen Plossl(I also have the Vixen 6mm Plossl and will agree it has little eye relief,so it does take some practice time to get your eye in the perfect spot that will allow you to take in the full field of view).

The 20mm of Eye Relief and the Large Eye Lens and the extra wide field of view will make using high powers both comfortable and rewarding.

As John said, If you love the 8mm you will also love the 5mm.

Also if you want to go with the Vixen 3.5mm LVW eyepiece, Vixen North America has them on a close out price that is hard to believe. Only $150.00 for a Vixen 3.5mm LVW.

Also they have their standard Vixen LV eyepieces for as low as $70.00. In fact I picked up the Vixen 5mm LV(45 degree field of view)large eye lens,20mm eye relief,tack sharp views across the entire field of view.

Here is a link to the Great deal on the 3.5mm LVW:
Vixen 3.5 LVW

Also here is a link to the Awesome Prices on the LV eyepieces:

Vixen LV Eyepieces

#6 John Jarosz

John Jarosz

Astro Gearhead

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

I also like the LVW's. I do not have the 5, but I do have the others. The 3.5 IS a lot dimmer. Good views, but the physics dictate that the image gets dim.

John

#7 Hummel

Hummel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:00 AM

Thank you for your thoughts. When I bought the scope it came with the Vixen Plössls in 6mm, 20mm, and 32mm. I don't have anything to compare with but I very much like the views with the 20 and 32. I want sometimes more magnification but the 6 was a big jump from the 20 and not impressive. I thought first about a Barlow. That would give me also 10mm and 16mm (and 3 but that would be useless, I think). 16 is not that different than 20 so for the cost of the Barlow I would really only get 10mm. At least that was my thinking. The dealer had a LVW 8mm and that seemed about right. I checked some threads and Vixen LV/LVW get really good reviews so went back to buy the 8mm. Wow, it is HUGE! And HEAVY!
But the next opportunity to view and I ended up using just the LVW. It was very easy to use and the images of the DSOs I looked at (M57, M56, M27) were really nice. I wondered if I could see the Ring (M57) bigger and tried the 6mm Plössl again and, well...
So, that is why I was thinking about the LVW 5mm. I have read some more about exit pupil and such (there is a thread on the Beginner's forum about eyepieces and black out that also helped explain a lot) and I guess any eyepiece will be dark at high magnifications. And mine is a small telescope really. 5mm would give 144x and exit pupil 1mm and if it is as easy to use as the 8 maybe I will try it. M27 is nice at 90x (with 8mm) but the Ring is still pretty small.

Talstarone, thank you for the links but I live in Germany and the Vixen America does not ship to here.

#8 Hummel

Hummel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:56 PM

Well, I did buy the LVW 5mm. Tonight I had the first opportunity to use it and I am very impressed. Even with the full moon, M57 was very pronounced and much easier to view than with the 6mm Plössl. And the image does seem lighter. Maybe a function of the larger FOV?
And I also saw M13 (for the first time!) What a beautiful sight. I just watched for maybe half an hour.
Before I went in I took a few minutes to view the moon and compare. Here too the LVW 5mm is much, much better than the 6mm Plössl for comfort and it does seem to give a brighter image.
So, I am happy. Life is good.

#9 Talstarone

Talstarone

Lunar Man

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

Congratulations Hummel. I offer ny Congratulations on purchasing one of the best performing eyepieces ever made.

The Vixen LVW eyepieces have such tack sharp,contrast filled views that they are able to see small details that may be hidden in lower quality eyepieces,

I can only imagine how much difference there is inbetween a 6mm Plossl and your new Vixen LVW 5mm. I am sure the large eye lens and 20mm eye relief of the Vixen make high powered viewing a joy compared to before.

And may I say Congratulations again on aquiring one incredible eyepiece.

#10 Hummel

Hummel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:26 PM

Thank you Todd. The difference really is most impressive.
- Michael

#11 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:04 PM

Congrats on the new eyepiece Hummel. I am waiting on a 4mm B/TMB. FOund one this week for $80. Right now, as seen in my sig, a 10mm Plossl is my highest mag. Can't wait to look at the "Ring" with the new eyepiece, as well as a better view of Jupiter and Mars. The 4mm puts my 80ED at 150x mag, which is at the limit of a 3" scope.

#12 jtpowers

jtpowers

more clever in the first place

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:39 PM

Terrific, Hummel. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Now, sell all your plossls and pick up the 22mm LVW- You'll be all set, then!
:whistle:

#13 Hummel

Hummel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:01 AM

Thank you all.
John, that is not a bad idea! But I think my wallet will have something to say about that (or nothing to say to be more precise :( ). I have already purchased two of the LVW eyepieces (8 and 5) and that will have to do for a while. And really the view with the 20 (and also the 32) Plössl is quite good, I think.
Royston, wishing you lots of good viewing with your new 4mm. I googled and saw that this is a very highly regarded EP. Have fun at the "Ring" and do let us know your impressions!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics