•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

To print or not to print ... 3d that is ...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
564 replies to this topic

#251 halx

halx

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

Perhaps, Blender is not good for designing such an adapter? I think, zip ties are too flimsy to hold the optical axis well and also may stretch with time and exposure.

#252 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:48 PM

Blender did its Job. Feel free to enhance it if you're in doubt. The first Inkarnation was quite flimsy but this one is very sturdy. The weak part is the slt Mount here. When the ties Stretch i will find a solution.

Carsten

#253 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:29 AM

Just to make it complete.

Carsten

Attached Thumbnails

• CMount2.jpg

#254 halx

halx

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

Now it looks really great and useful solution-wise. I see you've updated the thingiverse as well already. Thanks! Is that an ABS filament? And what's the nozzle size and the layer height?

UPD: Oh, I see that on the Thingi.

Edited by halx, 30 June 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#255 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:18 PM

PLA. 0.5mm Nozzle, 0.24mm Layer. The printer has seen better days, but still produces usefull parts :-)

Carsten

#256 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:44 PM

> Perhaps, Blender is not good for designing such an adapter?

Blender is AWESOME.  I really need to run through some tutorials on it and start using it. I have a friend who does a lot of 3D printing, in steel, sterling silver, plastic, everything. He exclusively uses Blender. I can promise you, with the things I have seen him do, Blender is all any of us would ever need. 

#257 roman-dvorak

roman-dvorak

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

Hi, great software for technical things (as adapter) is openSCAD. From the beginning, it can be a bit difficult. But it is parametrical CAD. And it is free! 

#258 ChrisMoses

ChrisMoses

Apollo

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

I'm thinking about moving my usb hub, power hub, dew heater controller, and DSUSB to the top of my scope.  I'm not sure my dovetail bar is long enough for all of that. So, I would like to print what is basically an extension to it.

Does anybody have an STL, or other 3d file, for a losmandy dovetail bar.

Ideally, it will slip onto the dovetail bar and then either extend it or go around the side of the tube, when I am done with it.

I think this is something many people could use. Especially if I can get it into SCAD so they can make one for tubes of whatever diameter they need.

#259 Chriske

Chriske

Kijkerbouw Urania

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:44 AM

Ideal would be a 'step' file, so everyone can edit and use it... ;)

#260 JWW

JWW

Apollo

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

> Perhaps, Blender is not good for designing such an adapter?

Blender is AWESOME.  I really need to run through some tutorials on it and start using it. I have a friend who does a lot of 3D printing, in steel, sterling silver, plastic, everything. He exclusively uses Blender. I can promise you, with the things I have seen him do, Blender is all any of us would ever need. 

I've been using AutoCAD since the late 80's and Rhino 3D since it was first released. I'll have to agree about Blender, simply an amazing program, tons of support and add on(s) but the learning curve is super steep (at least for me it is). I've been messing around modeling and 3D printing high-res Mars/Lunar terrain maps. 

-JWW:

Attached Thumbnails

• 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • Mars1280PrintOrtho.jpg
  • 4.jpg

#261 roman-dvorak

roman-dvorak

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

Yes, Blender is greate software for 3D graphics. But for modeling (mechanical) things as dovetail bar holder is the best openSCAD. The biggest advantage openSCAD are parametric models. Everyone can then edit it as he wants.

#262 JWW

JWW

Apollo

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:51 PM

I have used OpenSCAD a few times to generate some molds to 3D print. I'm not knocking it whatsoever. I haven't used it enough to be efficient with it but thought it was a pretty interesting program. I'm also not an expert with Blender but there are a few tutors available showing you how to do accurate precision modeling and how to setup Blender to do so. 

-JWW:

Attached Thumbnails

• KiloMold.jpg

#263 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:49 PM

There are a few projects that are common for DIYers that I think 3D printers could impact. Especially now that the materials available have expanded quite significantly (e.g. nylon, carbon fiber & kevlar possible with some). I would think that we could have some open source projects, like DIY truss scopes and other parts, so if someone were to want to DIY they could print out a set and have instructions ready to go.

#264 ChrisMoses

ChrisMoses

Apollo

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:55 PM

Here is the best thing to print I've seen recently:

Custom mount boxes

I'm printing it out right now.  The large plate is big enough that I have to use a MakerBot Replicator instead of a MakerBot 2. That is a little harder to get access to at my local library, but, hey, for $1 an hour I can't complain!

#265 Chriske

Chriske

Kijkerbouw Urania

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:49 AM

There are a few projects that are common for DIYers that I think 3D printers could impact. Especially now that the materials available have expanded quite significantly (e.g. nylon, carbon fiber & kevlar possible with some). I would think that we could have some open source projects, like DIY truss scopes and other parts, so if someone were to want to DIY they could print out a set and have instructions ready to go.

What about this one..?

#266 KevinS

KevinS

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:13 PM

Components for a 127mm binocular project

Two focus adapter flanges and two right angle connectors for Rhomboid mirrors (periscope)

IMG_3939.JPG

#267 Chriske

Chriske

Kijkerbouw Urania

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

PLA I presume...?

#268 KevinS

KevinS

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

Nope. going with ABS on this part. It's really hard for me to print PLA correctly and I think it would be too brittle on cold nights. I realize that ABS will have more flexure but the flange is designed with a triangle cross section and honeycomb interior.

Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 7.36.39 PM.png

Hopefully the trianglular truss cross section will provide adequate stiffness. If it fails, I will route flanges out of MDF which has served me in the past.

#269 gfamily

gfamily

Apollo

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:04 PM

One of the guys at our Astro Soc has 3D printed an adapter for his solar imaging camera that has a 5 degree off-axis tilt.This eliminates Newton's rings in his set-up.

I'm not a solar imager, but it seems to work for him

#270 Chriske

Chriske

Kijkerbouw Urania

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:16 AM

Nope. going with ABS on this part. It's really hard for me to print PLA correctly and I think it would be too brittle on cold nights. I realize that ABS will have more flexure but the flange is designed with a triangle cross section and honeycomb interior.

Hopefully the trianglular truss cross section will provide adequate stiffness. If it fails, I will route flanges out of MDF which has served me in the past.

Strange, never had any problems using PLA.

Using ABS we always have warping issues.

#271 rkayakr

rkayakr

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:07 PM

I posted some Skywatcher MN190 3D printed accessories in the "Cats and Casses" forum. OpenSCAD parametric sources and MN190 instance .stl files on Thingiverse are linked.

http://www.cloudynig...ries/?p=7373346

#272 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

I have slowly managed to identify and fix all the things that bugged me about the last revision of my AP mount controller.

I've been calling it revision 6, though perhaps 4 would be more fair. This revision has a complete split between the damp side electronics and the dry side electronics. I also went with a more classic sliding battery door. It now has a GPS unit with a built in antenna, in case I dont want to carry an external GPS antenna. You can still use the external antenna jack for an amplified signal and fast lock.

I've been holding off on having the case printed, I keep trying to spot any stupid mistakes. Let me assure you, there are plenty of places to make stupid mistakes. And at $62 for a set of four prints from Shapeways ( case front,  case back, display lid, and battery cover) I want to nail it the first time.

Mike in Alaska

Attached Thumbnails

• open.JPG
  • Capture.JPG

Edited by Mike Clemens, 14 January 2017 - 08:59 PM.

#273 calypsob

calypsob

Cosmos

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:17 PM

Waiting on new print nozzles right now but a few weeks ago I created a Dew shield, cover, and small dual DV rail for my Soligor 200mm F3.5 which I use as a guide scope.  After recently acquiring autocad 2017 and design spark I have been having alot of fun developing and printing astronomy parts.  The dual vixen rail is amazingly strong, printed with an 80% infill using a triangle pattern this part is solid as a rock.  I printed using carbon fiber PLA made by protopasta.  I cannot crush it in my adm saddle or even deform it so Im going ot give it a chance to perform under the stars.  The Dewshield and cap are also carbon PLA.  This stuff prints very sturdy parts and polishes to a gloss if you decide to sand it and buff.  

IMG_5679.JPG

image4.JPG

image3.JPG

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

#274 calypsob

calypsob

Cosmos

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

Components for a 127mm binocular project

Two focus adapter flanges and two right angle connectors for Rhomboid mirrors (periscope)

attachicon.gifIMG_3939.JPG

This is a really cool idea.  I am wondering if a 2" diagonal prism could be adapted to a canon lens now.  

Edited by calypsob, 15 January 2017 - 08:25 PM.

#275 calypsob

calypsob

Cosmos

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:35 PM

I have slowly managed to identify and fix all the things that bugged me about the last revision of my AP mount controller.

I've been calling it revision 6, though perhaps 4 would be more fair. This revision has a complete split between the damp side electronics and the dry side electronics. I also went with a more classic sliding battery door. It now has a GPS unit with a built in antenna, in case I dont want to carry an external GPS antenna. You can still use the external antenna jack for an amplified signal and fast lock.

I've been holding off on having the case printed, I keep trying to spot any stupid mistakes. Let me assure you, there are plenty of places to make stupid mistakes. And at $62 for a set of four prints from Shapeways ( case front,  case back, display lid, and battery cover) I want to nail it the first time.

Mike in Alaska

I bet this would work well with asa filament. What kind have you been using?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics