•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

If there are premium mirrors, are there premium secondaries?

Dob
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bearcub

Bearcub

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2024 - 08:36 PM

Any premium secondaries for dob exists? Not the mirror itself, whole mechanism and spider vanes design and all that stuff.. There should be something that is better than the cheapest dobs have, right?

Edited by Bearcub, 09 May 2024 - 03:38 AM.

• Skywatchr likes this

#2 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 08 May 2024 - 08:46 PM

There are several makers of quality secondaries like Ostahowski and Anteres  

• Skywatchr, Jethro7 and Tangerman like this

#3 Jethro7

Jethro7

Aurora

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 08 May 2024 - 09:02 PM

Any premium secondaries for dob exists? Not the mirror itself but the way it is designed? There should be something that is better than the cheapest dobs have, right?

Hello Bearcub,

When I bought a replacement primary mirror from Terry Ostenhowski, he supplied a matched secondary mirror in the package deal.  I imagine that most any of the premium mirror manufacturers would also sell secondary mirrors. I would contact them.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

https://www.ostahowskioptics.com/

https://zambutomirrors.com/

https://loptics.com/

Edited by Jethro7, 08 May 2024 - 09:09 PM.

#4 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 08 May 2024 - 10:39 PM

Yes. Antares and Protostar manufacture premium secondaries.

• ausastronomer, dmgriff and Asbytec like this

#5 MeridianStarGazer

MeridianStarGazer

Hubble

• Loc: USA

Posted 08 May 2024 - 11:33 PM

Zambuto recommended Antares, saying the 1/30 wave secondary would be a good match for his mirrors. I think they come from Osthowski, or maybe that is the big ones.

#6 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Shoalhaven Heads NSW (Australia)

Posted 09 May 2024 - 02:30 AM

Yes. Antares and Protostar manufacture premium secondaries.

I would agree that those two are at the top of the tree.

I have an Antares 3.1" secondary in an Astrosystems Seconday Holder on my 18" Obsession.

On both my SDM scopes I have a Protostar Quartz Secondary in a Protostar Heated Secondary Holder.  On the 14"/F4.5 SDM I have a 2.6" Protostar Quartz Secondary and on the 10"/F5.3 SDM I have a 1.83" Protostar Quartz Secondary.

To be honest I think the Protostar Quartz Secondaries and Heated Secondary Holders are the absolute pinnacle of Secondary mirrors and holder setup, for small to medium sized scopes.  Unfortunately, getting delivery of them with any reliability and timeliness is a whole different ball game.

Protostars belated delivery record over the past 10 years would have me steer away from them and recommend an Astrosystems Holder with an Antares Secondary.  1/30th wave if you can afford it, otherwise 1/20th wave. Under the stars you'd need instruments to pick the difference between them.

I know Peter Read at SDM loved the quality of the Protostar Secondaries and Holders, but he hasn't ordered from them in over 10 years, due to extremely delayed deliveries, or non-delivery and subsequent cancelled orders.

Cheers

Edited by ausastronomer, 09 May 2024 - 02:32 AM.

#7 KI5CAW

KI5CAW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: East Mountains, New Mexico

Posted 09 May 2024 - 09:11 AM

Many years ago I bought a Protostar fused quartz secondary for my 8" f/8 Newt with a Royce primary, and I'm glad I did. It is wonderfully smooth.

Go for it!

• Skywatchr likes this

#8 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 09 May 2024 - 02:04 PM

Any premium secondaries for dob exists? Not the mirror itself, whole mechanism and spider vanes design and all that stuff.. There should be something that is better than the cheapest dobs have, right?

I have a 1/20th wave Antares secondary in my 18" Dob with Astrosystems holder and spider.   Astrosystems should be able to set you up with everything but maybe the secondary mirror depending on the size you need.  Yes, a good secondary can make all the difference in the world even with "the cheapest" dobs out there.  All that is left to improve upon optically, is a premium Primary mirror. But just the secondary might be enough to satisfy your itch. grin.gif  The most noticeable improvement, will be with higher powers where you can push the seeing limits.

A poor secondary will make your Primary look bad, and vice versa. But a secondary is less expensive to see if it makes a decent enough improvement.

Premium stuff comes with a Premium price for a reason.  It takes more work and time to produce them. waytogo.gif

#9 Bearcub

Bearcub

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2024 - 03:57 PM

I have a 1/20th wave Antares secondary in my 18" Dob with Astrosystems holder and spider.   Astrosystems should be able to set you up with everything but maybe the secondary mirror depending on the size you need.  Yes, a good secondary can make all the difference in the world even with "the cheapest" dobs out there.  All that is left to improve upon optically, is a premium Primary mirror. But just the secondary might be enough to satisfy your itch. grin.gif  The most noticeable improvement, will be with higher powers where you can push the seeing limits.

A poor secondary will make your Primary look bad, and vice versa. But a secondary is less expensive to see if it makes a decent enough improvement.

Premium stuff comes with a Premium price for a reason.  It takes more work and time to produce them. waytogo.gif

I have no way to determine the max magnification i can achieve in bortle 8-9 sky. All i have is 250x dob.. i would need to get barlow but i dont think 10inch dob can squeeze more magnification for me. Im in europe and i dont think i can go for usa products just for the hassle of import taxes..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics