•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CN: Behind the Scenes - William Optics

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:46 AM

CN: Behind the Scenes - William Optics

Here at CN, we realize that many of our readers are equipment junkies, but sometimes it's nice to get a glimpse into the people and the company behind the equipment. With this in mind, we've decided to launch a new series of articles spot lighting and interviewing some of the better known manufacturers for the amateur astronomy community. Think of this as a chance to get to know the people who make your favorite toys.

#2 half meter

half meter

Hubble

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:50 AM

I like David's enthusiasm for astronomy, and I think it came though in your write-up, Tom. Thanks!

I wondered what I.P. stood for in the sentence: This creates I.P. problems for companies like us, and push us to invest more in innovation and protection of our products. :thinking:

#3 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:54 AM

Thanks Gary.

BTW - IP = Intellectual Property

#4 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:59 AM

Nice, Tom. Very nice.

#5 Jarad

Jarad

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:08 PM

Nice interview - when do we see the review on the new eyepieces? :jump:

Jarad

#6 LittleDob

LittleDob

Apollo

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:09 PM

Got me thinking about the future when David says that in one year he envisions a "larger and cheaper" product line!! Given the value (quality/cost) of WO products, this kind of thinking can only bode well for amateur community.

Jason

#7 hoof

hoof

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:11 PM

What I particularly liked was Mr. Yang's comment about TeleVue. He said basically that he admires TeleVue for their marketing. I like that comment because, yes, TeleVue's products are good, but where they excel is in their marketing. IMO, that's the #1 reason they're seen so highly. And I'm not just talking about glossy ads in magazines, good marketing is much more that that.

#8 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:42 PM

Got me thinking about the future when David says that in one year he envisions a "larger and cheaper" product line!! Given the value (quality/cost) of WO products, this kind of thinking can only bode well for amateur community.

Jason

It would be interesting if William Optics can expand more into the 100mm+ ED doublet market. If they could make a 120mm to 130mm ED APO doublet, with William Optics mechanical quality, at a better price point than the competition, it would be a nice step up for their smaller scope customers... and even wishful thinkers like me! :jump:

Clive.

#9 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:55 PM

Nice interview - when do we see the review on the new eyepieces? :jump:

Jarad

I have yet to see them (outside of the two prototypes at NEAF), but soon I hope. :)

#10 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:57 PM

Good job!

#11 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:13 PM

Thanks guys.

We hope to make this a semi-regular thing. We've got one of the major premium dobs manufacturers lined up for the next article, and have got some decent ideas of where to go next.

If you have suggestions about who you'd like to see, let us know and we'll take em into consideration.

#12 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:15 PM

Great Job Tom!
I loved the interview...!

#13 LittleDob

LittleDob

Apollo

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:44 PM

Tom,

WO showed a Zeinithstar 80mm/f7 apo at NEAF. Did William hint as to when this will be available in the US?

Jason

#14 Bluemeanie

Bluemeanie

Viking 1

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

Great job as usual Tom! :waytogo:

#15 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

James Webb Space Telescope

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:00 PM

We hope to make this a semi-regular thing. We've got one of the major premium dobs manufacturers lined up for the next article, and have got some decent ideas of where to go next.

If you have suggestions about who you'd like to see, let us know and we'll take em into consideration.

Excellent first effort Tom. For the next company, how about getting a little more detail on the product development pipeline? You know, something compelling that might cause me to start setting some funds aside.

#16 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:24 PM

There are a lot of reasons why a company might not want to divulge too much detail about product development and pending prototype projects. It can serve to get people's expectations up, only to come back to haunt the company if the prototypes don't match actual production, or if there are supply side issues that make interesting concept products vaporize into unobtainium. One has only to look at the self-inflicted wounds that Burgess suffered by pre-announcing products well prior to actually having them in hand, to understand why many suppliers might wish to talk only about existing product lines and those they absolutely know they can provide. Sure, it'd be nice to have some insight into where the different companies think they're headed in terms of product, but ultimately, sometimes that can lead to mutual dissatisfaction. Just some thoughts.

I, too, perked up when I saw the bit about "bigger and cheaper". That's totally inline with what I've heard from a few other designer/importers. But, the trouble is, that I first heard that a few years ago. And while it's certainly the trend for much of this stuff, it's harder to translate trends into details about actual products as they may or may not actually appear on the market. We live in a golden age of amatuer astronomy, and companies like WO are making it more golden and more accessible. I think the next couple years are going to be particularly exciting for those who've always wanted APO like views on a budget. But, I also understand why some companies may not wish to tell us much about what they may or may not have in the works.

Mike

#17 redvis

redvis

Apollo

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:54 PM

This is a great idea! I loved reading it and hope to see more "Behind the Scenes" features!

Cameran

#18 Ron B[ee]

Ron B[ee]

Tyro

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:19 AM

The GumShoe Tom T. did it again :bow:! This is one of the finest & unique series I've read on the internet. Much insight into what makes a company tick behind the scene.

And thanks to William for such great info on himself and his company. It is one of my fondest wish to see WO bring many more quality, affordable product to the marketplace. I especially appreciate how WO takes their time to bring new product to marketplace without rushing it, making sure it meets their standard (something not always seen in some other place).

Well done Tom :waytogo: and many there be many more reports to follow!

Ron B[ee]

#19 Dave Chadsey

Dave Chadsey

Viking 1

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:49 AM

Thanks Tom,
Very interesting and informative.

#20 kfred

kfred

Vanguard

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:38 PM

As always Tom, you write very nice articles.

Fred

#21 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

James Webb Space Telescope

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:05 PM

But, I also understand why some companies may not wish to tell us much about what they may or may not have in the works.

Well, it's pretty much a matter of risk, confidence, and how far the "thing" is down the development pipeline. And of course, not wanting to dry up current sales.

#22 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:12 PM

Bravo Zulu Tom, as always:waytogo:

#23 jack45

jack45

Gemini

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:10 AM

This is great! I get to read these very good articles as I retire from the military. It doesn't get better then this, CN breaking new ground again!

Clear Skies!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics