•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upgraded an AP1200DA to QMD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Skylab

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:32 AM

I ordered the QMD hand controller to replace a circa 1993 hand controller, which was just starting to have issues with a switch. OH MY GOSH! It took a really good mount and turned it into an extraordinary tracking platform! For example, I was observing Saturn at 375 power and was called away for over 1/2 hour...upon return Saturn was still dead center...and this is before any PEM training. Simply incredible.

I did send the other controller back for repair, and will keep it as a backup. I'm surely not expecting them to fix this 15+ year old controller under warranty, but it's good to know that service is available for their old mounts.

#2 Keith Howlett

Keith Howlett

Apollo

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

Great result! I'm amazed that you can still get the QMD hand controller. :cool:

(It's also good to know that my 400 QMD is probably still in with a shot at spares and service if it needs it.)

Cheers,

Keith

#3 Serenity Now

Serenity Now

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:51 AM

This is interesting news. I recently purchased an AP1200 DA and never considered updating the hand controller to the QMD Model. It's eassuring AP still supports its first generation products.

#4 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Skylab

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:12 PM

Kieth, Bluestar

If I had known that the hand controller made this much difference, perhaps I would have upgraded earlier. It was indeed worth the price, IMO. Bing 100% visual not sre if I'll ever utilize the full capabilities of the PEM and Dec Backlash control built into this mount.

As for AP products and customer support? Absolutely top drawer.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics