•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which Travel Scope for Hawaii?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#26 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

The spot I was referring to is a small parking lot located about 12 miles up Waikaloa Rd from the entry to the resort area with the Hilton Waikaloa resort. This is the dry side of the island and often clear. It's actually at the corner of Waikaloa Rd and Hawaii Belt Rd. It's very dark there and a great place to grab a couple hours of observing without the need to go to the top of the mountain. It is likely a black zone also. I was not referring to going up Saddle road but in the direction you would take (up mountain) to get to saddle rd.

Unfortunately, from Cpt Cook I really can't give you a clue of where to go. That part of the island is more heavily populated which can make it a challenge. I would try watching for a good spot while your out sight seeing. South point would be great, if the wind dies down, but you cannot count on that there. The good news though is you will be close to some great dive areas. Check out darkerview.com for some great reading and great photo's.

#27 Toxic Coolaid

Toxic Coolaid

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

From Ctn Cook I would think you may have to head south. But you do get into some very remote, almost shack like communities. Waikaloa Village is probably and 1-1.5 hrs from Cpt Cook. It is also about 1500-2000ft. One time I was there, we had a winter storm warning. It snowed 8 in on top of Mauna Loa and we were passing cars with both surf boards and snow boards on them. Pretty cool. I'd say some planning will be key seeing the sights both night and day.

#28 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

Some research will probably help. I agree that from Captain Cook, you'll either have to go south or a long way past Kona. If you don't go inland a good bit, wind may be an issue - and something to consider (that I hadn't on the scope). Whichever one of your scopes/mounts is most rock steady should probably get a tie breaking vote, if it comes to it.

You may not find blackest skies on the south, but it shouldn't be hard to find something good with a little research. I would think heading toward Volcanoes and then turning up the mountain would get you somewhere good. There are some trailheads up the mountain (I don't remember exact road names) from Volcanoes and even before you get there. Ultimately, I think you can drive a long way toward the Mauna Loa summit from the south (though not nearly all the way, but enough to get you up a few thousand feet).

We stayed in Ocean View last trip and there were lots of really good skies nearby. Again, not black, but very dark.

#29 mountain monk

mountain monk

Soyuz

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:20 AM

It might be noted that in Steven O'Meara's latest volume on deep sky observing, "The Secret Deep," he says that he is now observing from his backyard in Volcano, at an elevation of 3,5000 feet. He can "...see the zodiacal light and band, as well as the gegenschein..." Which suggests that you might be just fine on the south side of the island if you get some elevation.

If you head south, and if you know what you are doing with scuba gear, check out Kalae Cape--when the sea is calm. Lots of big octopus.

Dark skies.

Jack Turner

#30 Micheal

Micheal

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

You may also consider the idea of pre-shipping your set up to your hotel or have it sitting at the UPS hub so you can go pick it up after you arrive. I'd also call your home owners insurance agent and have your telescope added on or some other coverage made out before you take it to Hawaii.

I have a condo in Kona and often have my items shipped to their office a week in advance.

#31 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

I'd take the 6SE and a pair of Oberwerk 10x50 Ultra Binoculars. You should be able to fit in the binoculars pretty much anywhere and they'd be great for star sweeping. With 5.0mm exit pupils and 6.5 deg field of view, you be cruisin' the 'verse.

The 6SE in dark skies will let you go deep when you get settled down from using the binocs. :grin: And with all those stars you'll see, you might find the goto helpful.

Patrick

#32 KWB

KWB

James Webb Space Telescope

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:12 AM

So far, the recommendations seem to favor the 6se.

David:

If it were me, I would take the 90mm refractor. It is simpler to use, there is essentially nothing that can fail and it offers a widefield of view that is particularly well suited for discovering skies I have never seen before.

Jon Isaacs

Make that 2 votes for this very nice refractor. Heavy emphasis on widefield viewing is definately what I would be after.

#33 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

Heavy emphasis on widefield viewing is definately what I would be after.

Nothing better for wide field viewing than a pair of binoculars, IMHO. :smirk: Especially nice when mounted on a decent tripod. One eyed viewing at 3° versus 6° with two eyes...no comparison. ;) The 90mm refractor would be nice too though, no doubt.

Patrick

#34 KWB

KWB

James Webb Space Telescope

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

Nothing better for wide field viewing than a pair of binoculars, IMHO. :smirk: Especially nice when mounted on a decent tripod. One eyed viewing at 3° versus 6° with two eyes...no comparison. ;) The 90mm refractor would be nice too though, no doubt.

Patrick

One eyed viewing at 4° and still have the capability of splitting double stars and partial resolution of globular clusters,both unseen by myself. You bet this 90mm scope would be nice to take along as my one and only piece of astro gear.
:ubetcha:

#35 Kfrank

Kfrank

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

Patrick

Optically, binocs indeed represent a wonderful wide field, low magnification solution. Optically.

However, from the standpoint of ergonomics, binoculars leave a lot to be desired. Unless we're talking about binoculars designed specifically for astronomy (that is with right angle eyepieces) binocs on a tripod are, IMO, just about useless for astro viewing. You'll need a neck and back far more limber than most of us have to view comfortably at any angle much greater than about 30 degrees.

Hand held, binocs fare better but still you have to contend with the stiff neck problem and discomfort when observing at close to zenith. A parallelogram mount (bulky, clumsy and expensive) helps a bit but you're still stuck with craning your head back to view at zenith.

For me, the only way conventional binocs work at all well for extended viewing is to lay back on a chaise lounge and use them. Still somewhat uncomortable but better than any standing alternatives.

#36 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

I said a Decent Tripod, ie one you can get under that has a gear column. At any rate, if you go to Hawaii without a decent pair of binoculars, shame on you... ;)

Patrick

#37 Kfrank

Kfrank

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

If it works for you that's great. But for me, using conventional binocs at or near zenith is impossible with ANY tripod - be it superb, decent or indecent. You can crank a gear column all you want but you still can't get anywhere close to a comfortable viewing position with the binoculars pointed straight up.

I certainly agree that binoculars are a must-have for a Hawaiian vacation.

#38 hm insulators

hm insulators

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

Look in the user list (or elsewhere on these forums) for a fellow named erik (you'll see "telescope surgeon" next to his name). He lives on the Big Island and recently built his own observatory, the construction of which is somewhere in that forum.

Definitely make it a point to check out Omega Centauri. Through a telescope, it's beautiful even from where I live (Phoenix), where it's low on the southern horizon.

#39 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

If it works for you that's great. But for me, using conventional binocs at or near zenith is impossible with ANY tripod - be it superb, decent or indecent. You can crank a gear column all you want but you still can't get anywhere close to a comfortable viewing position with the binoculars pointed straight up.

Straight up? ...no, me either. :grin: I'm good up to about 70 deg max, but not for extended periods. But I wouldn't be looking straight up in Hawaii. I'd probably be focused on looking southward. Then when I got tired looking through the binocs, I'd pull out the C6 and go deep, and then go back and forth between them. That'd be kind of nice! Nice to think about on this overcast day here in Ohio. :smirk:

Patrick

#40 ensign

ensign

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:10 AM

The most comfortable observing I've ever done with binocs was using a monopod while sitting in a lawn chair. You adjust the length of the monopod dynamically depending on where you're looking.

Straight up may still be an issue, but I know I could look a fair ways up without discomfort.

Two more things going for the monopod - low cost and portability.

#41 benula

benula

Vostok 1

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

I would consider leaving the scopes at home if the only observing you are planning on doing will be your trip up the mountain. In addition to a few large SCT's, the onizuka visitors center also has ~6 dobs (8" - 12" I think). When I went there in April nearly all of them sat out unused (I think the other visitors were afraid to touch them).
By the way, you do not need a jeep to make it up to the visitors center. Apparently saddle rd is not as bad as it once was. I made it up there in a mustang convertible (I think i rented from alamo) and don't remember it being so bad (NOTHING compared to piilani hwy on maui).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics