•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet 2012 K5 Linear last night

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 nytecam

nytecam

Hubble

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

Exceedingly poor UK weather of late but clear last night for my first brief shot of this comet above a bright gibbous moon - the coma is very large :grin:

Attached Thumbnails

• 5595590-k5linx121229x30smg.jpg

#2 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

Nice grab Maurice. The only up coming clear night slot 'oop north' is Monday night - I'll give it a go then. My first images of this comet were back in October so its come on a lot since then

#3 Cames

Cames

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

Thanks for posting, Maurice.

I noticed that the coma is asymmetrical around the nucleus and predominates to its right side of the photo (not referring to the obvious elongation of the tail). What do you think causes that effect?

Also, I couldn't help notice the bluish component in the tail (possibly at an angle to the main tail). Is that due to the ionization effect seen in some of the other comets like Hale-Bopp?

It seems that the comet's progress across the constellations appears to be accelerating and even is noticeable at high power now.

I really enjoy your timely photos.
------
C

#4 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

What do you think causes that effect?

Configuration of comet wrt to sun and earth. Line of sight effect when looking at a comet tail obliquely

#5 nytecam

nytecam

Hubble

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for posting, Maurice.I noticed that the coma is asymmetrical around the nucleus and predominates to its right side of the photo (not referring to the obvious elongation of the tail). What do you think causes that effect? Also, I couldn't help notice the bluish component in the tail (possibly at an angle to the main tail). Is that due to the ionization effect seen in some of the other comets like Hale-Bopp? It seems that the comet's progress across the constellations appears to be accelerating and even is noticeable at high power now. I really enjoy your timely photos.------C

Thanks Tony & Cames - here's a concecutive 3x30s stack showing rapid motion SW eg lower right :grin:

Attached Thumbnails

• 5596515-k5linx121229x90mgx.jpg

#6 Centaur

Centaur

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for sharing your fine photos, Maurice. I've updated my graphics and data based on Solex orbital elements for Comet C/2012 K5 (LINEAR): www.CurtRenz.com/comets

#7 nytecam

nytecam

Hubble

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Thanks Curt - quick image from tonight on New Years Day below - the coma has changed dramatically in just two days since my last pic :grin:

Attached Thumbnails

• 5600014-k5linx130101x30smg.jpg

#8 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Thats because our viewing angle of the comet is changing very very rapidly now

#9 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Gemini

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Tonk is correct. I believe that late on December 30th the Earth passed through the comet's orbital plane. At the same time the Sun, Earth and the comet were almost in a straight line and thus the comet's tail was directed almost straight away from the Earth. The result is that the comet's coma, or head, was seen projected onto the long axis of the tail. The exact placement of the comet's central condensation within the larger surrouding glow, along with the orientation and look of the reappearing tail will be changing quite rapidly over the next week, or two, as our viewing angle steadily shifts.

BrooksObs

#10 Cames

Cames

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

A most fascinating apparition if you ask me.

Regarding the ionization effect seen on comets: Is it the result of the solar wind interacting with cometary effluvia; and the light emission a product of excitation phenomena similar to our aurorae?
------
C

#11 nytecam

nytecam

Hubble

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

A most fascinating apparition if you ask me.Regarding the ionization effect seen on comets: Is it the result of the solar wind interacting with cometary effluvia; and the light emission a product of excitation phenomena similar to our aurorae?------C

Dire conditions continue and first clearish night this week with comet recorded tonight through thin cloud. Comet now in Taurus :p

Attached Thumbnails

• 5607771-k5linx130105x1mg.jpg

#12 eps0mu0

eps0mu0

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

A most fascinating apparition if you ask me.

Regarding the ionization effect seen on comets: Is it the result of the solar wind interacting with cometary effluvia; and the light emission a product of excitation phenomena similar to our aurorae?
------
C

According to Wikipedia,and some other online information, ionization of the tail occurs through UV photons, not through collisions with solar wind particles.

#13 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Nice pics! I have to get out there and see it myself!

Cheers,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics