•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Has anyone used the LPI with their LX200?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:59 AM

I'm waiting for my Autostar Suite software and Lunar Planetary Imager from Meade (there was a mixup about which model of LX200GPS I was buying) and was just curious if anyone has tried this out with their scope. If so, what kind of results are you getting?

#2 Southpaw

Southpaw

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:54 PM

I don't have one but I have seen some pretty good images for a cmos chip. It looks as though it could have some pretty good potential. Post some images when you get some, I was kind of thinking about buying one myself. Good luck.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:49 PM

I just bought an LX90 that came with the LPI. I have only used it once to image Saturn. Its very easy to use, my first images were pretty good, but I was suffering a bit from a brand new scope, new LPI, high dew level which affected the image, and collimation wasnt spot on.
All in all, it seems a good setup, especially for the price ( FREE ) Tha magnification is similar to a 6mm ep in my LX90. I really wanted it for lunar imaging, I will post some pics as soon as the clouds clear, so you can judge for yourselves!!

allan

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2004 - 02:26 PM

Great! I'm glad to hear it's easy to use, since I have no experience with astrophotography at all. I'd love to see your lunar pics when they're available. And I'll be sure to post some of mine as soon as I have some. Just don't expect too much! :)

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2004 - 12:13 PM

Well, as promised here are a few pics taken with my LX90 and LPI. Still not fully conversant with the features and I am on a steep learning curve with the likes of Registax etc. I found that sometimes when LPI stacks and optimises the image, it turns out REALLY wierd. Very grainy and false looking, so most of mine were saved as single shots. I tried the shot of Saturn using Registax and 5 images.

Heres a link to my online photos. See what you think. You may fiddle with them if need be!

http://gallery47683....et/c125313.html

allan

#6 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 February 2004 - 09:09 AM

10" LX200GPS LPI Image at f/10

Posted Image

#7 Don W

Don W

658th Member

Posted 28 February 2004 - 11:11 AM

Did you use a color filter wheel or seperate shots through color filters and then combine them?

#8 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 February 2004 - 05:39 PM

Don,

No filters, The image is a composite of 143 images stacked and combined by the LPI software, If I remember I had the quality set to 80%. The LPI softwae does a good job with the stack and combine feature. I also saved each image and ran them through registax and result was similar.

#9 Don W

Don W

658th Member

Posted 28 February 2004 - 06:29 PM

Umm......it sure looks like it's in color. Is the LPI a color imager?

#10 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 February 2004 - 09:04 PM

oops....I should have mentioned that. :rainbow: Yes the LPI is a color imager :)

Yes for 149.00 its a very nice package.

#11 Don W

Don W

658th Member

Posted 28 February 2004 - 09:26 PM

Wow, I'm impressed. Nice image.

#12 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 29 February 2004 - 03:46 AM

I haven't used the LPI (but I don't have a Meade, but tonight one of our Club members tacked his LPI onto a Celestron CGE 14, and the images were astounding...)

I'm gonna get one real soon! :jump: :jump: :jump:

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:22 PM

Hey Allan,

Those are pretty good shots! The moon shots are amazing. I can't wait to try mine out (as soon as it gets here, that is). Thanks for posting the link to your pictures.

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:24 PM

Craig,

What a great pic of Saturn. Sounds like the more images you take and stack, the better the result, huh? Interesting that the LPI and Registax provide similar results. Thanks for posting your picture.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics