•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pimping your Skywatcher 120ED Pro

• Please log in to reply
454 replies to this topic

#1 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hi all,

After a long time researching and awaiting promotional pricing, I just ordered one for myself.   I'm really excited about it!   Like a true astro-nut, I am already wondering what I can do to make it better / accessorize it.

What have you done as an owner of one?    Flocking, rings, handles, finders, finder mounts,  focusers, nylon screws, twist locks, whatever.   Show the 120ED Pro community your changes, upgrades, and everything else! What diagonal works best, and which EPs, in your humble opinion, of course!   And what didn't work, too.

Lets have some fun.  Thanks.

Bob 

Edited by spongebob@55, 16 November 2014 - 05:57 PM.

• CRAIG 320 likes this

#2 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Cosmos

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hi all,

After a long time researching and awaiting promotional pricing, I just ordered one for myself.   I'm really excited about it!   Like a true astro-nut, I am already wondering what I can do to make it better / accessorize it.

What have you done as an owner of one?    Flocking, rings, handles, finders, finder mounts,  focusers, nylon screws, twist locks, whatever.   Show the 120ED Pro community your changes, upgrades, and everything else! What diagonal works best, and which EPs, in your humble opinion, of course!   And what didn't work, too.

I bought the Baader 2" Clicklock for the focuser. I also purchased a prism diagonal (Takahashi). What the scope comes with, basically works, and it is very kind to eyepieces. The range needed is 3.5mm to 40mm.

For the mount I use a CG5 with a 16" pier extension. This allows me to view sitting down no matter where the scope is pointing.

• Doug Culbertson likes this

#3 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:14 PM

Dang, Peter beat me to it. I also added a Baader  clicklock to the focuser, and I have a Baader T2 prism diagonal on the way. I also use mine on a CG-5GT mount with a 16" pier extention, but I also have an alt/az mount for quick looks. I use my Leica ASPH zoom about 95% of the time, but any good eyepieces should perform fine in this telescope.

FWIW, I am extremely happy with this telescope, and I can't think of any other improvements that need to be made. Congrats, I think that you will love it!

• chaoscosmos likes this

#4 gfeulner

gfeulner

Apollo

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:55 PM

I've had my 120ED since Sept and like it very much. I haven't done any upgrades so far. The focuser is very smooth but when I start imaging Jupiter with it I may add a Moonlight only because I already have one and only need the adapter. We'll see. Gerry

#5 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:20 PM

How's the inside of the dew shield?   Could it use some flocking?

#6 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:30 PM

is it true that the finder is back too far and can be obtrusive?   Has anyone done anything with that?

Bob

#7 hungerford

hungerford

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:26 AM

I changed the focuser for a 2" Moonlight one and added a focal reducer / corrector. On reflection I should have gone to the larger moonlight focuser.

Vince

• astrohound24 likes this

#8 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Cosmos

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:46 AM

How's the inside of the dew shield?   Could it use some flocking?

It's fine, but rather black. You might try something in pink. :)

• george tatsis and hengchun like this

#9 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Cosmos

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:55 AM

is it true that the finder is back too far and can be obtrusive?   Has anyone done anything with that?

Bob

The finder is a bit far back in its default position. It's in a default three point adjuster (two point and a spring pin, actually) that pivots on a rubber O ring that rests in its own indentation. I forced the finder forward, and the O ring out of its indentation and back into the finder bracket. The extra inch gained was fine.

I am reluctant to change the finder, as it basically works; it aligns easily and maintains its alignment from session to session. On a CG5, you use it for the initial alignment sequence and nothing else. If you want to sweep up stuff, you can also sight along the  sides of the rings, and get three degrees out of the main scope.

#10 neptun2

neptun2

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:29 AM

I also bought baader clicklock and added TS 2" flattener. I also added TS 2" dielectric diagonal. About the finder position - i do not have problems with it.

• daleagan likes this

#11 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:24 AM

Bob

I forced the finder forward, and the O ring out of its indentation and back into the finder bracket. The extra inch gained was fine.

Good to know.   I have a big head!   :lol:

I'll also have to see if a RACI finder could work.   

#12 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

My personal 120ED is cut down 2" to accommodate a custom Calcium-K solar filter but also allows easy use with binoviewers. I have also added a 3" rotatable Feather Touch focuser. I've had the 3" focuser for a while on different scopes so I just picked up the adapter for this scope. Other then these upgrades I haven't done anything else.

As far as diagonals I use what I've had in the eyepiece kit which is either a TeleVue EverBright or just the usual 2" Sky-Watcher diagonal. I have also used a Tak. 2" diagonal which works very well. I have heard from friends that the best is that Baader 2" Zeiss Prism, from my understanding it really makes the scope shine. 

Edited by skyward_eyes, 17 November 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#13 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

I also bought baader clicklock and added TS 2" flattener. I also added TS 2" dielectric diagonal. About the finder position - i do not have problems with it.

I think I'm definitely going to get one of those clicklocks too.  I have them on most of my other scopes and you just can't beat the ease of operation and secure grip.

What comes OE?  Just a couple of set screws w/o a brass ring?

#14 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

Bob

FWIW, I don't use the stock finder at all, because I have a hard time with a RA finder on its own. I use a Telrad base with Orion/Synta dovetail foot that I got at ScopeStuff. You can see how it fits on the scope in the image below.  If I ever get around to using my alt/az mount, I may use the RA finder, but I would need to add a Rigel or red dot finder up near the front of the scope. As it is, I only use the Telrad to get my alignment stars for the CG-5GT mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• SW 120ED.jpg

• Chris G and spongebob@55 like this

#15 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

Bob

FWIW, I don't use the stock finder at all, because I have a hard time with a RA finder on its own. I use a Telrad base with Orion/Synta dovetail foot that I got at ScopeStuff. You can see how it fits on the scope in the image below.  If I ever get around to using my alt/az mount, I may use the RA finder, but I would need to add a Rigel or red dot finder up near the front of the scope. As it is, I only use the Telrad to get my alignment stars for the CG-5GT mount.

What a great idea.   Didn't know about this adapter.  I wonder if they make them, or this could be modified to place a regular finder on it?    
Thanks for posting that picture, I'm sure a lot of people will find that helpful!

Bob

#16 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

Anybody put a handle on the rings?   Or perhaps the 5'' ExSci cradle with handle  will work?  

http://explorescient...riant=622263389

I have one on my 102mm Achro and its so easy to 'handle'.  

The ID is 5.2" or 131mm.   Can someone measure the OD of the tube please?

Bob

#17 gfeulner

gfeulner

Apollo

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

Anybody put a handle on the rings?   Or perhaps the 5'' ExSci cradle with handle  will work?  

http://explorescient...riant=622263389

I have one on my 102mm Achro and its so easy to 'handle'.  

The ID is 5.2" or 131mm.   Can someone measure the OD of the tube please?

Bob

I used a piece of wood. It doubles as a handle and base to mount my Telrad. Gerry

#18 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:33 PM

I've replaced the visual back with a Baader Click Lock.  I already had a Baader Zeiss T2 diagonal.  The ES cradle with handle looks like a nice addition ... if it will fit. I already have one for my C102GT. Yeah, definitely overkill for that scope.  The cradle cost about the same as the scope! But I needed rings and dovetail so I bought the ES cradle.

But I have no problem carrying the SW120ED by the supplied dovetail and rings.  I use the dovetail as a handle.  I just flip it over when I attach it to the mount.  Big deal.  It's not like the OTA is super heavy or difficult to turn over.

So far I've used the 8x50 RACI that came with the 120ED.  The RACI works fine by itself if I'm only looking at bright, easy to find objects like the Moon, bright planets and bright Messiers.  If I were looking for more obscure objects, I'd want a 1x finder as well as the RACI.  Maybe I'll attach a mount for my QuikFinder.  IMO a Telrad is too big for this scope.  I'll attach the QuikFinder with double-sided tape somewhere above the rings, maybe right behind the dew shield.  I can't stand straight-through finders down near the focuser.  

The major upgrade for the 120ED would be the mount.  I don't want to put it on a GEM.  I have an AT Voyager mount with an extended column.  I recently added a nice panhandle to it.  I want to replace the aluminum legs.  I already have a good, sturdy Oberwerk tripod.  I'd like to put the AT Voyager head on the Oberwerk tripod.  I've ordered a Berlebach adapter to connect the 3/8" bolt on the tripod to the M10 fitting on the Voyager head.  After these upgrades, I'll have a sturdy alt-az mount with a panhandle, slo-mo controls, good height and wooden legs.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 17 November 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#19 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Cosmos

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

I forced the finder forward, and the O ring out of its indentation and back into the finder bracket. The extra inch gained was fine.

Good to know.   I have a big head! :lol:

You also look like you might have trouble bending it, as you have no neck. I have often wondered how you keep your pants up. ;)

#20 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:36 PM

The major upgrade for the 120ED would be the mount.  I don't want to put it on a GEM.  I have an AT Voyager mount with an extended column.  I recently added a nice panhandle to it.  I want to replace the aluminum legs.  I already have a good, sturdy Oberwerk tripod.  I'd like to put the AT Voyager head on the Oberwerk tripod.  I've ordered a Berlebach adapter to connect the 3/8" bolt on the tripod to the M10 fitting on the Voyager head.  After these upgrades, I'll have a sturdy alt-az mount with a panhandle, slo-mo controls, good height and wooden legs.

Mike

Shoot us a picture when you get it all together.   Sound like a great sturdy job specific mount for the 120 ED.

Bob

PS.  the pants are tight around the thighs.....

#21 aa6ww

aa6ww

Gemini

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

I've added a William optics rotatable crayford focuser to mine, the white one, and a metal handle on top with a dove tail to mount my telrad above my carrying handle. I've also added an additional "black" tube ring to the back of the scope and on one side, added a 50mm RA Stellarvue finderscope, and on the other side a Laser Pointer.

The whole system is very solid and works well on my GP-DX, but sometimes I put it on my Losmandy G11.

These are very very good scopes and for the money, very light weight with excellent optics. 120mm seems to be the absolute sweet spot for cost vs aperture vs weight, not having to rely on a larger heavier mount to use with it to enjoy it.

Above this size aperture, it just seems like a larger reflector or SCT makes more sense, then a larger refractor. At least here in California where reflectors and large SCT's rule in planetary performance over refractors.

...Ralph

• Sarkikos likes this

#22 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:36 PM

I also found the stock visual back very poor at holding loads.  

I don't think the Baader 2" was available when I got mine, so I got the less expensive ($40.00) "Focuser Adapter for Synta Refractors" from ScopeStuff.  It uses a compression ring, and works very well. 

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_fas2.htm

Mine also has Equinox/ William Optics style tube rings, which are very nice. 

#23 coutleef

coutleef

Aurora

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:16 AM

hi everybody

i took the decision of changing my 4 ed scope with the sw 120mm.

just wondering if the scope comes with a dust cap on the objective

also i have a 1.25 herschell prism i should use wit a 4 inch scope. any idea how i could stop down my scope from 5 to 4 inch without using cardboard

thanks. looks like a nice refractor

#24 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

Yes, it does come with a dust cap for the objective end of the telescope. That cap has a smaller hole with a cover over it as well, so you could use that opening, though it's probably smaller than you would like to use with your Herschel wedge.

I thought that the Herschel wedge was fine for a 5" scope? Seems that I recall hearing around here somewhere that 6" was too large but that smaller than that was fine? I am not a solar observer, so I really shouldn't touch that one!

Edited by Doug Culbertson, 21 November 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#25 coutleef

coutleef

Aurora

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:08 PM

thanks.

the wedge is good up to 4" while the 2' wedge is good up to 6"

i will have to stop it down to 4" or else i have to buy the 2" wedge

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics