•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for first scope

beginner equipment
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 WisdomLikeSilence

WisdomLikeSilence

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:03 AM

Hi cloudy nights! I've been wanting to get into astronomy for about a week now. I just graduated with a degree in physics and I finally have some time on my hands. I've done enough research to know that I'm not quite ready to get into imaging. I'd rrally love to have a go to scope I could pop in my truck or set up in a backyard. I'd love to get a dob but they are just too large and I'd rather not have to fool with collimation. I'm pretty set on a refractor of some kind. Any recommendations on a decent refractor under 500 with a goto mount and tripod? I really like what I've read about william optics and was thinking of trying to find something like a zenithstar 71mm and the cheapest ioptron mount. It's a bit out of my price range (I think they are going now for around 700 as a bundle on optcorp). I greatly appreciate any suggestions. Also I don't mind buying used if you guys recommend it.

#2 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

http://www.bhphotovi...mputerized.html

I tested the optics on one and it had a very good figure.

straight lines are good, curved are bad.... :grin:

also the hand controller may come set to Russian so here's the fix

http://www.cloudynig...9995/?p=6347472

post-106859-0-32223700-1418491463_thumb.

Edited by Pinbout, 15 December 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#3 samovu

samovu

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:00 AM

WisdomLikeSilence, welcome to CN and congratulations on your degree. No recommendations for you but best wishes on your journey into this hobby!

Cheers,

John

#4 Dodge2013

Dodge2013

Ranger 4

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:31 AM

For a beginner, I would go the direction, you said you didn't think you want to. You have a truck, so transporting a Dob would pose no problems. Collimating is a pretty simple task. You will get more aperature for your dollars. The dob is a lot more forgiving , if you don't have really dark skies. Just a thought. Orion makes an Intelliscope line, which is a push to, but has no tracking. By push to I means there is computer assistance, letting you know where objects are. Then you just push to the coordinates on the view screen. 6" Intelliscope is very portable and in your price range. Just thought you might want to take a look.

Good luck on whichever direction you decide. There is a wonderful sky out there just waiting to wow you.

#5 ylem

ylem

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

Welcome to cn, I wouldn't rule out an sct on a goto, or mak. They would give you a bit more aperture when I started back into this hobby with goto it had a 90 mm refractor and my only complaint was a lot of the stuff in the goto library was really not that appealing in a 90mm. Sct and maks really hold colimation well, in 6 years have never touched my mak, and maybe once on my scts. Just something to think about.  Really what ever you choose you will enjoy, have fun, don't stress over your choice that much.

#6 Reptilicus

Reptilicus

Viking 1

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:11 AM

William Optics makes wonderful refractor telescopes. Although the Z71 is a small aperature instrument, it is a great place to start. Build quality and function, especially the dual speed focuser, is exemplary. For its size, it is built like a tank. Optical quality (the Z71 is a doublet) is excellent with some chromatic aberration to be seen for sure, but it does not take away from the views you would expect to see with a telescope of this size or optical configuration. I have used mine for solar work and double star observing and find it to be easy to use, mount, and move which translates into using it often. The Z71 does not come with a case (one is available through William Optics or affiliated dealers, and you will have to save your original styrofoam packing) if that matters, but it is an additional expense to bear in mind. It is a marvelous little telescope and as I stated before, a great place to start observing the heavens. 

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics