•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Russian binoculars 4x20 (БПЦ 4x20), instructions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent33

Vincent33

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hi here it is the copy of the instructions for this small binoculars.

Saluti.

Attached Files

#2 planetmalc

planetmalc

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:09 AM

For the benefit of those who don't know, the Russian 4 x 20 is a reverse Porro design that's similar to the Leitz 4 x 20 'Bitur'.

#3 Vincent33

Vincent33

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

similar to the Leitz 4 x 20 'Bitur'.

No, it's the copy of the Carl Zeiss Turolem,

http://www.fernglas-...urolem_4x20.htm .

I've made a copy from a low resolution jpg, but the pdf I've posted is a word-by-word duplicate, even if it's not aestetically equal. This instruction manual can't be found anywhere than here.

Bye.

#4 Clive Aintree

Clive Aintree

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:13 PM

Yes indeed, a copy of the Zeiss Turolem, one of which I have in my mostly Zeiss binocular collection. Here's an oddity - the screw which retains the focussing helical thread and the eyepices which are attached to it (exposed by removing the central cover at the front between the objectives) has a a left hand thread. Wonder whether the Russians copied that too?

#5 Vincent33

Vincent33

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

Yes indeed, a copy of the Zeiss Turolem, one of which I have in my mostly Zeiss binocular collection. Here's an oddity - the screw which retains the focussing helical thread and the eyepices which are attached to it (exposed by removing the central cover at the front between the objectives) has a a left hand thread. Wonder whether the Russians copied that too?

Sorry I am not able to make this check. I dare to make anything like this ...

They are marvellous tiny little binoculars, nothing in the market today like these. Bye and sorry again ....................

#6 Vincent33

Vincent33

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

The Russian 4 x 20 is a reverse Porro design that's similar to the Leitz 4 x 20 'Bitur'.

It is not a reverse Porro. It's a classic Porro design, but the hub (or could it better defined the "pivot"?) isn't placed at the usual place, between the oculars, but in a "half way". I don't think I've expressed myself correctly, sorry.  :-)

#7 planetmalc

planetmalc

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

The Russian 4 x 20 is a reverse Porro design that's similar to the Leitz 4 x 20 'Bitur'.

It is not a reverse Porro. It's a classic Porro design, but the hub (or could it better defined the "pivot"?) isn't placed at the usual place, between the oculars, but in a "half way". I don't think I've expressed myself correctly, sorry.  :-)

So what's your definition of 'Reverse Porro'?

#8 Vincent33

Vincent33

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:55 AM

For me a "reverse Porro" is a binoculars that has a pivot between the objectives to arrange the interpupillary distance, like on http://www.optics4bi.../basics1.aspx .

See figures 3# and 4#.

I *think* the Zeiss Turolem and the Russian 4x20 are common Porros, just with the "pivot" put halfway the objectives and the oculars. But maybe I'm wrong. You made me in trouble!  :-)

#9 planetmalc

planetmalc

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:34 AM

For me a "reverse Porro" is a binoculars that has a pivot between the objectives to arrange the interpupillary distance, like on http://www.optics4bi.../basics1.aspx .

See figures 3# and 4#.

I *think* the Zeiss Turolem and the Russian 4x20 are common Porros, just with the "pivot" put halfway the objectives and the oculars. But maybe I'm wrong. You made me in trouble!  :-)

I use the term 'Reverse Porro' if the centres of the objectives are closer together than the user's IPD when being used.     My Leitz Bitur 4 x 20 is certainly like that, and I've seen photos of the Russian 4 x 20 currently on the 'net that suggest that it is similar.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics