•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Unified Driver 5.01 No Longer on ASCOM Site

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:10 PM

I just noticed that the Celestron Unified ASCOM 5.01 Driver is no longer posted on the official ASCOM Site. This is the ASCOM driver that supports the SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro (Orion Sirius) and the SkyWatcher EQ6 (Orion Atlast) mounts. There is a new driver written by Chris Rowland...Celestron Unified (6.0.5604) but it is also stated that this new driver does not support SYNTA mounts...ie, the HEQ5-Pro and the ATLAS! I did download this new driver to see what was in the preamble or readme file and Chris Rowland says, " Most of the functions will work with Synta mounts but there seem to be some issues with the more advanced functions.  I have been unable to get enough information about why this is so have to formally state that these mounts are not supported." 

So don't discard your earlier ASCOM Celestron Unified Driver 5.01 for your SYNTA mount. Mabye someone connected to ASCOM, (no pun intended), can re-post this driver on their website again. There are so many SYNTA mounts in circulation and I'm sure someone will be in a frantic state when they can't find this driver in their home inventory of drivers.

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:17 PM

Just a side note - old celestron driver is still available from this link:

http://download.asco...rg/drivers/old/

I found this link with google. Can't find any official link on site. Just in case it gets deleted i uploaded it also on my google drive:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#3 jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:57 PM

When I was still running my CG-5 with my Windows laptop (before migrating completely to both Mac and iOS) I had updated the Celestron Unified driver, and it gave me nothing but trouble, completely messing up alignments by more than 30deg off, even with the laptop unplugged.  I finally had to restore the hand controller to factory settings, then re-flash the firmware on the hand controller to fix it.  I eventually put the newer Celestron driver on for ASCOM this last summer, and it worked fine the one or two times I tried it.  But I don't completely trust the 6.0.x driver and also say keep a copy of your older 5.0.30 driver.  You'll need it if you have the trouble I had.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

When I was still running my CG-5 with my Windows laptop (before migrating completely to both Mac and iOS) I had updated the Celestron Unified driver, and it gave me nothing but trouble, completely messing up alignments by more than 30deg off, even with the laptop unplugged.  I finally had to restore the hand controller to factory settings, then re-flash the firmware on the hand controller to fix it.  I eventually put the newer Celestron driver on for ASCOM this last summer, and it worked fine the one or two times I tried it.  But I don't completely trust the 6.0.x driver and also say keep a copy of your older 5.0.30 driver.  You'll need it if you have the trouble I had.

I've used both available Celestron scope drivers with Platform 6, and there has never been a problem. Certainly nothing that caused problems with alignments, etc.

Edited by rmollise, 02 December 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#5 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:16 PM

Rod, for SYNTA mounts, you can't use the new driver with the latest version of PHD2 guiding. You get a message..."unable to pulse guide with this driver". That is what PHD2 V. 2.6.1 returns. If you go back to the Celestron unified driver 5.0...then PHD 2.6.1 will pulse guide.

Edited by RandallK, 04 February 2016 - 09:16 PM.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:54 AM

Rod, for SYNTA mounts, you can't use the new driver with the latest version of PHD2 guiding. You get a message..."unable to pulse guide with this driver". That is what PHD2 V. 2.6.1 returns. If you go back to the Celestron unified driver 5.0...then PHD 2.6.1 will pulse guide.

​I only use ST-4 guiding, which I've always preferred. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics