•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some lunar sketching questions...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:47 PM

Hi all,

I've decided to try my hand at lunar sketching again.  The last few lunar observing sessions I've done have been exceptionally relaxing:  no straining at the eyepiece, no pressure to find number of objects to call it a "successful night," and no "gotta move on to the next object so I can get a certificate" feeling.  

I abandoned sketching in the past as I was frustrated that I just couldn't get my efforts to look anything like what was in the eyepiece.  In retrospect, choosing Copernicus or Gassendi probably were not the best starting targets.  I think I'll try a simple bowl-shaped crater next.  There are a great many lunar sketching tutorials on the web, but the one that really clicked with me this weekend and had me happy with the results of my practice sketches is Carol's found out http://www.rasc.ca/c...-tutorials-moon.  This is a technique that is constrained, simple, and nicely repeatable.  Seems a great starting place.

But more to my questions.... I love the look of the white-on-black sketches done with Conte crayons and white pastels.  I'm lucky to be married to a professional artist, so I raided my wife's pastel pencil stash and played around with this a bit.  It seems that compared to graphite, it is not as easy to get the pastel pencil to a fine line.  It seems that to keep everything scaled right one must use larger paper and draw things larger.  Indeed, in the sketching Springer books I have it seems all of the pastel work is done on a minimum of 9"x12" paper whereas graphic works is perfectly happy at 5"x5" or so.  Am I on the right track here?

Also, what is the difference between charcoal and graphite?  Why might one use over the other?  

I'm going to stick with graphite for now as it is what I am most familiar with and the skills will also more easily transfer to sketching Mars this coming apparition.

#2 blackadder1620

blackadder1620

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

I know the chemical difference but, for art it might come down to texture or how it shades paper (puts down a layer on carbon)

#3 frank5817

frank5817

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:10 PM

Hello Michael,

We are all very familiar with holding graphite pencils in our hand during our school years. Graphite sketching is the way I started sketching the Moon. Do note that graphite in the softer darker shades is a bit shiny and reflects light. Charcoal is darker and not shiny and also easier to erase. When you sketch the Moon in graphite and or charcoal on white paper you are sketching shadow.The illuminated Moon is the untouched paper or background. Using white pastel chalk (crayon) on black paper you are sketching the illuminated parts of the Moon and leaving the shadows alone. In my way of looking at the process the "natural" way to sketch the Moon is on Black paper.

Frank :)

Attached Thumbnails

• graphite Langrenus789 - Copy.png

Edited by frank5817, 22 November 2015 - 10:11 PM.

#4 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:06 PM

Thank you so much for those examples, Frank!

"Sketching shadow..."  I'm going to try to keep that in mind in my next attempt.  I'm not "drawing a crater" or "drawing maria"... I'm laying down tones of shadow, leaving the highly illuminates areas alone. I think that might improve my attempts.

#5 Carol L

Carol L

Cosmos

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:59 PM

Michael, I think it's wonderful that you've decided to give lunar sketching another try! :grin: But this time, don't let it frustrate or intimidate you, ok? Learn the easy technique in my tutorial (thanks for the mention, BTW!) and you'll do just fine. Relax, keep practicing, and pretty soon you'll surprise yourself with the results.  ;)

I tried white-on-black for a while but prefer graphite. Just as you said, the pastels require a large paper. And just as you said, they don't allow fine details like graphite does. I've tried black charcoal too, and found that it had the same faults as pastels - it needs large paper and it doesn't allow details like a pencil - it was extremely messy, too.

#6 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:41 AM

Dear Michael, 

I doesn't count much what a type of crayon you use. The most important thing is to practice with the method you selected. This doesn't have to make at the eyepiece. You may sketch lunar details form photograph, and may be, get the same silence as when sketching them at the scope. It may even be a cure against unhappy sentiments.

#7 mike73

mike73

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:58 AM

Great to see you having another go at lunar sketching Michael! :)

I'd like to echo what Carol and Uwe have mentioned and just spend a little time practicing with whatever media you choose.

If at any point you'd like to try white on black you can actually buy Conte pastel pencils to use for the initial crater outlines and finer detail.

Looking forward to seeing more of you sketches in the future.

#8 Warmvet

Warmvet

Vanguard

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:06 AM

A lot of great comments above. I also use a larger black paper for lunar sketching and like to start off with soft pastel as it is easier and more forgiving to erase than Conte' crayon. Once I know where everything is going down I will add the Conte'. I also utilize a white charcoal pencil but sharpen the point on some sandpaper to get a finer tip.

Try different media and see what you enjoy most. Best wishes in your enjoyment of sketching!

Cindy

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics