•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This Telescope is no Turkey!

refractor
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I recently acquired a Nikon 4" f/12 refractor, a very rare bird, but no turkey.  It will soon find a new home in California and at the request of it's new owner and to satisfy my curiosity I tested it the night before Thanksgiving. It is truly a high end coveted piece of astronomical hardware.  Available back in the 80's in limited numbers, I believe this one was originally purchased along with it's mount from RVR (Roger V. Re).  Roger was the enthusiastic dealer who sold me all of my Unitron telescopes and he was a very extraordinary salesman.

The original purchaser of this Nikon started buying stuff from Roger shorly thereafter and his “RVR” collection included two 4" #152 Unitrons, a 5" equatorial Unitron, Goto 125 ED Apo, and the Nikon 100 mm f/12.  Like all of his telescopes they were rarely used but were stored hard.  The mount was kept outside under a barbeque pit cover and it indeed shows the effects of continued exposure to the elements.  It will be a rebuild project for it’s new owner, maybe not too much work, but the counterweight shaft will need to be brushed down, stripped and re-chromed.  Fortunately the telescope tube was kept inside and is in very good condition.  I had the opportunity to test it for the benefit of it's new owner.

As mentioned it is a 100 mm f/12 apo.  I have not seen any documentation on the glass type, but based on the spacing tabs, it appears to be an air-spaced doublet.  (Someone correct me if I am wrong.)  It has a white tube, actually off-white, almost a creamy white color.  Tube diameter is 115 mm and the tube with dew shield in place to the end of the diagonal is 52.5 inches long.  It is a relatively heavy tube compared to the Sky-Watcher Pro ED 100 or a Celestron/Vixen 102 mm f/9.8.  The dew shield screws off and then is reversed and screwed back on for storage.  One interesting feature is the 7x50 finder which is illuminated via a built in box that takes two AA batteries.  The reticle illumination is a light green (which does not show up well on the Moon, but which otherwise works well).  The reticle has 4 etched lines coming in toward the center and terminating in a circle that surrounds the center.  The finder bracket has a peep hole half way between it’s base and the finder scope.
The focuser has etching on the drawtube and is, bar none, the smoothest single speed focuser I have ever used.  The focuser knobs are large (2" diameter) black plastic; not too attractive in and of themselves but functional.  The end of the focuser begs for a standard size adapter.  There is a screw in interface which is 2" plus, but this reduces the end of the focuser to more than 1.25" but less than 2" (approximately 42 mm).  There is a diagonal which is the 42 mm diameter on the telescope end that goes into the focuser and .965" at the eyepiece side.  I had to use a .965"/1.25" adapter to use my eyepieces.

So how does this telescope perform?  I had the opportunity to use this scope on the evening before Thanksgiving with my wife promising my services to show the grandkids of one of her friends some stuff thru the telescope.  The night, weather-wise was good with a very light breeze, relatively low humidity and the temperature in the mid-60's.  The Moon, however, was full, and as I live about 5 miles from downtown New Orleans, my backyard does not see dark country skies.  The Moon at the full phase does not offer the interesting features that can be seen when the terminator is in play and the Sun angle makes for interesting changing shadows.  Since I had 4 overly excitable young boys between the ages of 6 and 9 and two relatively well behaved young girls, both 11 years old, along with their grandmother and a few parents, I had to dispense some instructions, especially around such a high end telescope.  (One boy wanted to dribble and throw a basketball, so I quickly changed that thought.)  I also started with some "outreach" eyepieces - My set of Meade Series 5000 HD 60 eyepieces (4.5 mm up to 25 mm).  I had the Nikon set up on my Celestron AVX mount which handled it very well.  After an alignment our targets were the Moon, gamma Andromeda (Almach) and Uranus.  The interest level covered the spectrum as expected.

After the kiddies left I was able to better evaluate this scope and it performs very, very well.  For more critical testing I used a 5 eyepiece set of Baader "Genuine Ortho" Phantom coated eyepieces including the 18, 12.5, 9, 7 and 5 mm sizes.  In comparison to both the Sky-Watcher ED 100 f/10 triplet and Sky-Watcher Pro ED 100 doublet recently tested in the "Wow and Wow" thread, it performed very, very well.  I think it is even a bit better than the Sky-Watcher triplet in respect to absolute suppression of color.  In the Sky-Watcher I had the faintest of the faint suspicion of a hint of color around the lunar limb; in this scope there was none.  In addition the color renditon was absolutely neutral, reminding me of my previously owned TSA 102.  The scope was well collimated with perfect bulls eyes seen on both sides of focus.  This scope was the best I have seen in respect to out of focus pattern on both sides of focus - slightly better than the Sky-Watcher f/10 triplet and better than the larger and faster TAK FCT 150.  I cannot fault this telescope and I will be anxious to see what it can do on both the Moon at a more favorable phase and with Jupiter on a good night.  This scope handled all of the ortho eyepieces well and Uranus at 240x was a nice little disc.

This scope merits more testing, but with what I was able to see before the clouds moved in gives me no reason to fault it in any way.

See photos.

Barry Simon

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4503copy.jpg
  • IMG_4499small.jpg
  • IMG_4486small.jpg

Edited by BarrySimon615, 28 November 2015 - 07:57 PM.

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

James Webb Space Telescope

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

The Moon at the full phase does not offer the interesting features that can be seen when the terminator is in play and the Sun angle makes for interesting changing shadows.

No, but the full Moon offers some of the harshest tests imaginable for telescopes. A shame you didn't take advantage of them.

An interesting writeup nonetheless. The Nikon 100ED is a super rare instrument in the west.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#3 samovu

samovu

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:13 PM

Barry, thanks for the write up on this find. You've a treasure trove there indeed.

And Happy Thanksgiving to you and to all.

And the mount stored outside underneath a barbecue cover? Why didn't I think of that? Seriously, sounds like the fellow that passed had a little issue with hoarding. Ask me how I know ;)

Cheers,

John

#4 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

The Moon at the full phase does not offer the interesting features that can be seen when the terminator is in play and the Sun angle makes for interesting changing shadows.

No, but the full Moon offers some of the harshest tests imaginable for telescopes. A shame you didn't take advantage of them.

An interesting writeup nonetheless. The Nikon 100ED is a super rare instrument in the west.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#5 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

What specifically? I may be able to add to what I reported. I was being pressured to finish up my report as we had somewhere to go. I will post more photos later.

Barry Simon

#6 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:50 PM

The full moon is a good test for CA around it's perimeter. Also a good test for contrast observing the details in the "splash rays" that really show up well on a full moon.

Bill

#7 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:56 PM

Sorry, should have been more specific.

First, the crater rims of terraced craters, such as Tycho, Copernicus and others, are magnificent tests. If you can still see details in the terracing at full Moon, the scope has excellent sharpness and control of scattered light. It is also worth looking for many of the craters in the highlands at the time of full Moon, as they will be invisible in a less than good scope, but be quite visible in an excellent one. Craters such as Ptolemaeus, Arzachel and Alphonsus comes to mind, but there are many more.  The Mare also offers many subtle hues and very subtle contrast differences, which can reveal differences in contrast transfer between scopes mercilessly. Finally, there's the rays, which blend together into broad patches in lesser scopes, but are revealed in extremely intricate lace-like details in a fine one.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark 

#8 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:02 PM

Oh, and by the way, the full moon is just drop dead gorgeous to look at in a small high-end refractor. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#9 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:12 PM

Oh, and by the way, the full moon is just drop dead gorgeous to look at in a small high-end refractor.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#10 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:19 PM

Using a .965/1.25 adapter I could not rack in far enough to use a variable polarizing filter to drop the moonlight down. Having said that, the Nikon, did a commendable job on details near the limb. No glare, no flare and absolutely no sign of chromatic aberration.

Barry Simon

#11 Sasa

Sasa

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:38 AM

Barry,  you don't need to use polarizing filter. You are just throwing out photons, they bear precious information. I have no problem observing the Moon even with 3-4mm exit pupil in my 80mm refractors without filters. The low power view could be really amazing in a telescope with good contrast. Besides the mentioned thin bright crater rings and terraces, I like trying to discern small differences in shades and hues in the generally gray sea floors. These are very interesting structures.

Edited by Sasa, 27 November 2015 - 03:39 AM.

#12 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:07 AM

I agree with Sasa. In a scope as small as a 4", there's no need to use filters when observing the full Moon and it's just a waste of information, especially of color. Yes, the Moon has color, but it's subtle and you need to look for it.  

What you need to do is to avoid getting dark adaption. Since it's a bright night anyway, no harm done. When I observe the full Moon, I turn on the outdoor lights. This also makes it easier to see what I'm doing, read maps, etc. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#13 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:34 PM

Congratulations Barry,

I've heard wonderful things about this scope. Have never viewed through one myself, but your report adds to the mystique.

#14 Derek Wong

Derek Wong

Apollo

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

The Nikon is an example of a scope where the entire observing experience is excellent.  There is something about the nice color correction, sharp images, forgiving focusing, and quality that is very pleasant.  The images are at the top of the 4" refractor group along with several other scopes.

The ED glass in the air spaced doublet is presumably the same as the ED glass for SLR lenses that was developed in 1971, about a decade before the telescope came out:

http://www.nikon.com...r26_e/index.htm

Nikon made other types of glass as well, and whatever mating glass they used in the scope resulted in outstanding color correction.

The Nikon 65ED has the same experience, enhanced by the beautiful mount that comes with it.

Derek

#15 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

Hi, This is my first post as I just joined today but I saw this thread and thought I would like to contribute. I have one of the Nikon Telescopes (The ED65) which I purchased new in the early 90's. I joined to try find others with one of these scopes and found this thread. The ED100 is a terrific scope and a rarity with approx 40 made. The example pictured isnt on its original stand unfortunately, its a pillar type that you may be able to see in my avatar photo on the right. Nikon marketed a full range of eyepieces, drives and accessories for their Telescopes. They were pretty much undone by price at the time and werent great seller which accounts for the very low production numbers.

#16 Gabby76

Gabby76

Messenger

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:13 AM

A truly beautiful scope.

#17 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:46 AM

Hi, This is my first post as I just joined today but I saw this thread and thought I would like to contribute. I have one of the Nikon Telescopes (The ED65) which I purchased new in the early 90's. I joined to try find others with one of these scopes and found this thread. The ED100 is a terrific scope and a rarity with approx 40 made. The example pictured isnt on its original stand unfortunately, its a pillar type that you may be able to see in my avatar photo on the right. Nikon marketed a full range of eyepieces, drives and accessories for their Telescopes. They were pretty much undone by price at the time and werent great seller which accounts for the very low production numbers.

The pedestal with equatorial mount, case and eyepieces are all available.  The mount needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb and possibly overhauled.  See photos.

Barry Simon

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1367crop.jpg
  • IMG_1763.jpg
  • IMG_1765.jpg

#18 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

Markus at APM has one of these Nikon 100mm f/12 ED for sale, along with the mount..

http://www.apm-teles...-mm-ed-apo.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics