•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Range of the Wifi Adapters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

So as I go completely nuts trying to decide what I should replace my aging LXD75 with, I am looking at wifi/BT connectors for using my scope with an android device (I also control my camera through an android system) . I see Celestron also has one but no spec's on distance. Line of sight is about 30 or 40 feet with my camera. If you are using on of these connectors what is a reliable maximum range? SkyBT claims 60 yards, yet they publish no range figures for the SkyFi model. my goal is to control both the camera and scope from inside the house.

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Voyager 1

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

How do you plan on running the camera?

I would look at running a Ethernet cable to a miniPC.

Chris

#3 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

The camera is a m43 camera that runs remotely off an Android app (good for aboutt 40') - it also does a live build of the image up to a minute. So a wifi/BT adapter would allow me to control the whole thing inside.

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Voyager 1

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

How do you plan to guide?

#5 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:16 AM

Jeff,

Do not forget you CAN control your LXD75 with SkySafari and the SkyFi unit.  I not only control my LX850 with Sky Safari, but I also control my 22 year old LX200 with it!  That is pretty impressive for an old telescope if you ask me.

As far as range, I cannot speak for the Celestron unit, however I have my SkyFi unit tied into my home wifi network, so I can control my telescopes pretty much within a 200' radius. However I am only 50' from the telescope indoors.  This is using MacOs and iOS versions of SkySafari.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics