•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Future of Astro-Physics

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

This comes from the AP Yahoo group.  I wasn't sure where is best but here it is for starters.  It will probably be posted elsewhere by others.

P.S.  And for the fellow that asked about a scope since 2007 in the Cloudy night's post above - yes, consider purchasing a scope from the many fine instruments available. I probably won't get around to making your scope ever, and that is not a bad thing. There are so many choices now that you should never wait if you really want a scope.

Edited by okieav8r, 18 December 2016 - 02:29 AM.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

:goodjob:

Jon

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

James Webb Space Telescope

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:59 PM

I don't think there's any reason for panic whatsoever. There will always be people around (barring a major civilization breakdown) that are willing and capable of servicing a quality product like A-P scopes and mounts. Just look at Zeiss, they've been out of amateur scope business for over two decades now and you can still get them serviced. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#4 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

"On top of that we are planning to introduce a couple of unique scopes next year for imaging and visual use. These scopes will represent the next level of performance for their size - that's all I can tell you right now."

I am anxious to find out what this is about.  Does anyone have any more information?  Someone close to Roland?

#5 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:07 PM

"So, I am passing down my knowledge as time passes, and you will eventually see AP scopes being offered with optics by other top world class opticians. And yes, we are also very much making plans to develop new leadership of this company in the business end of AP."

I think a lot have been wondering about this.  Very nice to hear!

#6 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

Roland's message is now in the Refractor Forum and also the Mounts Forum within this thread

http://www.cloudynig...ap-mount/page-2

Edited by Kent10, 14 December 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#7 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:42 PM

snip1 SNP>We have probably the best customer service people in the business, who are dedicated to helping all users of our equipment (even those who don't read the manual ;^). <SNIP

Roland (Rolando) Christen
Astro-Physics Inc.

======

:roflmao:

#8 vaskies

vaskies

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:02 PM

Well, if the guy got on the list in 2007 and won't get his, then I'll most definitely never get the call since I've only been on it about 2 years tops. As Roland said, there's plenty of options out there. I've never owned an AP and it appears I'll never own one now as I don't buy used.

Edited by vaskies, 14 December 2016 - 09:03 PM.

#9 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:49 AM

it happens

I once got on the list for a Traveler 100mm scope,

got a TV instead and forget,

a few years later got notification from A-P

that I could get the scope--too late then

it happens

Edited by edwincjones, 15 December 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#10 2LiveAndDieInLA

2LiveAndDieInLA

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:19 AM

He put in his name in 2007 and Roland says he won't get this scope?  I think there is more to the story than that.  Maybe it's not for a Starfire but for the RH instead.  10 years should be long enough to get a 130.

#11 2LiveAndDieInLA

2LiveAndDieInLA

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:20 AM

Why isn't Roland able to post on this forum?

#12 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

More from Roland...  I can't wait to see what it is. 

"I won't stop yet, I've got some exciting new stuff to show next year."

Rolando

Derek Wong in this thread http://www.cloudynig...e/#entry7591171 says this:

"Roland said things about scopes with Lockwood optics and AP mechanics, and he mentioned then dismissed a 16" f/10 Classic Cass with 28% obstruction.  Hopefully it is something like that."

Derek

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:05 PM

If you want to read what Roland has to say, there are other forums.  He used to be quite active on Astromart, I don't know about recently.   

As far as I know, he's not a member of Cloudy Nights.  Knowing Roland, Cloudy Nights would not be a good fit.  He's a straight shooter, tells it like he sees it, calls BS when he sees it, the vendor rules would just be too restrictive.  

My opinion.. 

Jon

#14 tag1260

tag1260

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

If you want to read what Roland has to say, there are other forums.  He used to be quite active on Astromart, I don't know about recently.   

As far as I know, he's not a member of Cloudy Nights.  Knowing Roland, Cloudy Nights would not be a good fit.  He's a straight shooter, tells it like he sees it, calls BS when he sees it, the vendor rules would just be too restrictive.  

My opinion.. 

Jon

Never met the guy but just from that opinion there I already like him!!!!    :lol:  On the other hand I can be full of BS so....................... :crazy:

#15 2LiveAndDieInLA

2LiveAndDieInLA

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:05 PM

My opinion.. 

Jon

I couldn't imagine why anyone would hassle Roland.   He is a legend.

#16 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:10 PM

As an Astronomy Equipment Vendor he would have to join the forum as a Vendor and then be bound by the Vendor Terms of Service, which are a lot more restrictive than the TOS that apply to ordinary members.  Those TOS have been drafted to legally protect the people who own and run Cloudy Nights and minimise the likelihood of any litigation by other vendors, or end users.

Some vendors find those Terms of Service a bit too restrictive on what they can and can't post and elect not to be members of Cloudy Nights.  I would suggest that Roland might be one of those vendors.

Cheers,

#17 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:19 PM

Yuri of TEC would post from time to time but, unfortunately, I believe he no longer posts because he found the CN rules too restrictive.  He is still a member, I see.

http://www.cloudynig...ser/73716-yuri/

#18 Edd Weninger

Edd Weninger

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:01 PM

Markus Ludes does post in the vendor forum, but seemingly cannot post comments in the other forums.  And, I seem to recall he was chastised at one time and banned for a while.

Others vendors seem to be missing more recently.  A lot of good stuff not available.

Such is life.

#19 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:00 AM

Valery Deryuzhin of Aries Optics posts here on occasion.  Valery has some impressive credentials, he designed the optics for Roland's A-P Mak,  he designed and produced the Chromacorr and Saffix.  Aries has an Ion mill to figure optics and can do mirrors up to 40 inches.  These are generally -argw R-Cs.  He also produces some large Fluorite doublets. 

He occasionally adds a tasty tidbit to a discussion that are worth remembering.   For example the other day he posted that there are mating elements available that allow an FPL-51 doublet to be as well corrected as a typical FPL-53 doublet.   With a few short sentences,  his post addressed some of the important assumptions in that thread,  anyone carefully following the thread should have stepped back and reconsidered the entire thread in light of Valery's comments. 

I am sure he had much mor to say that would have been helpful but he stayed back. 

Jon

#20 George N

George N

Cosmos

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:09 PM

"On top of that we are planning to introduce a couple of unique scopes next year for imaging and visual use. These scopes will represent the next level of performance for their size - that's all I can tell you right now."

I am anxious to find out what this is about.  Does anyone have any more information?  Someone close to Roland?

If he follows past practice he'll bring one to NEAF. That's 4 months from now........

#21 GJJim

GJJim

Skylab

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:27 AM

As an Astronomy Equipment Vendor he would have to join the forum as a Vendor and then be bound by the Vendor Terms of Service, which are a lot more restrictive than the TOS that apply to ordinary members.  Those TOS have been drafted to legally protect the people who own and run Cloudy Nights and minimise the likelihood of any litigation by other vendors, or end users.

Some vendors find those Terms of Service a bit too restrictive on what they can and can't post and elect not to be members of Cloudy Nights.  I would suggest that Roland might be one of those vendors.

Cheers,

For a designer of Christen's stature and experience, talking optics with the gaggle on CN would be akin to organizing a Christmas choir at the monkey house in the local zoo.  :grin:

#22 astrosky123

astrosky123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:58 AM

Cheers,

For a designer of Christen's stature and experience, talking optics with the gaggle on CN would be akin to organizing a Christmas choir at the monkey house in the local zoo.  :grin:

but we are the ones that are buying or want to buy his scope so wouldnt he want to please his customers?

#23 GJJim

GJJim

Skylab

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

Cheers,

but we are the ones that are buying or want to buy his scope so wouldnt he want to please his customers?

Unless you joined a list ten years ago, you will never buy one of his scopes directly from A-P.

#24 Edd Weninger

Edd Weninger

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:03 PM

Cheers,

Roland or Marj are on the Yahoo groups ap-gto and ap-ug almost every day.  They gladly converse and respond to all questions.  Howard and George also handle technical issues.  That is probably as much time as any reasonable working person would wan to spend online.

Cheers,

#25 skybsd

skybsd

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

I own a couple of AP scopes and mount in Europe and have been a direct-customer of AP for years.., 

In all this time, if I ever needed to ask a question / (thought I) had a problem / needed a part or advice, they've ALWAYS been a simple phone call or email away - The phone always gets answered when I call and its not unheard of to get an immediate reply to an email even after business hours. 

As an AP customer, I am VERY pleased..,  

If it helps though - think of CN as a "place for us" - and lots of equipment providers have their own (in the case of AP and a few others, long established) fora where they engage with their respective customers., 

Best., 

skybsd

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics