•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

An out trip for astrophotography and QHY163M test

astrophotography ccd
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 yixiandave

yixiandave

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:24 AM

I've got this QHY163M for more than 2 months. But as the bad weather and the terrible frog in China, I did not have many chance to get out and test it.
Last time I used this camera to shot the horsehead nebular as the first light.

This time, we made a big team of astronomy enthusiasts. The same reason as above, everyone was excited for this trip.

We drove about 150km into a barren hill to escape from the city lights and faced a really cold night. I found ice in my tent in the morning...

I planed to take M42 from sunset to about 10:00 pm at which time the target pass the mid-sky, and then turn to M78 until the moon raised. The first target was almost perfect.
get.jpg

I set gain=0 and exposure time=180s to prevent overexposure. It worked perfectly. With nearly 2 hours exposure, I think it was fine.

But then I was lazy for the M78. I did not change the gain value and just set the exposure time to 300s. I paid for this. All signal was at the left of the stretch. As QHY163M had a 12bit ADC.Due to the lack of sampling precision, signal of the object had lots of noises after DDP. It took me a lot of time to denoice and make it look not so bad.
get.jpg

Btw, My telescope is SkyWatcher 150/750 reflector.

During the time I was taking M42, I setup another system to shot Orion with my mirror-less camera, lens and a tracker just for fun. I even did not take the bias and dark frames.
It did not take a long time, but it seems not bad after 24min cumulative exposure.
get.jpg

the camera was Olympus E-M10 and the lens was Samyang 135mm T2.2

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics