•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What Celestron says about the SkyScout

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Osborn

Joe Osborn

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:32 AM

Here is a link to celestron about it's SkyScout.

SkyScout

You will note that it mostly can ID stars about 6,000 of them, not that there are 6000 of them that are given names that you can remember, and it states over 100 Clusters and Galaxies. I have to assume it means M1, M2, M3, Etc. Pretty limited.

Please before you spend your money thinking you can use it in place of a good Finder Scope and Sky Charts or Digital Setting Circles, read the specs.

#2 LTZ

LTZ

Messenger

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

I like mine. And, my kids really enjoy using it along with our recently acquired refractor.

For anyone even considering one . . . if you're a noob, have kids and/or like gadgets (especially ones that work as advertised), then buy a Skyscout. And, if you decide you don't like it, then return it.

It seems like every hobby has its group of die hard analog folks. Stick with film, stick with vinyl, stick with sky charts . . .

Different speeds, different needs. To each their own. One man's junk is another man's treasure. And, so on . . .

#3 Olivier Biot

Olivier Biot

Amused

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:41 PM

Please before you spend your money thinking you can use it in place of a good Finder Scope and Sky Charts or Digital Setting Circles, read the specs.

Reading the specs tells indeed what it does (and probably helps in clearing misunderstandings on e.g. what it does not).

However, for many it's fun to discover applications for which a gadget was not intended. I guess nobody at Celestron initially thought of really using the SkyScout as a replacement finderscope.

In this perspective I love to quote one of Einstein's most wonderful taglines: "imagination is more important than knowledge". It's the imagination of many SkyScout users that will probably be a source of improvement ideas for this gadget!

Cheers!

Olivier

#4 LTZ

LTZ

Messenger

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:43 PM

I'm also looking forward to the release of the Astronomy For Kids Skytour SD card this summer. Kids will love that.

#5 Joe Osborn

Joe Osborn

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:51 AM

Don't hold your breath! This "Gadget", your words, not mine, is an off shoot from the Skyalign program in thier GOTO. That is all it is, it simply does not have the base to replace a Finder Scope and Sky Chart, or Digital Setting Circles. Nor does it have the Accuracy needed, and probably never will.

As far as the other comment about Analog Blah, Blah, Blah, you can see that I do use a GOTO Scope as well as a DOB, so I am not opposed to inovation, Goto, or Push to, but if you are going to have a DOB and you want to view what there is to view, then you are going to have to go to Digital Setting Circles, or use a good Finder Scope with a good Sky Chart to do it, unless you want to just pan the sky and come accross something. One can do that in Virgo.

I have simply refered you to the Celestron web site that referances what this thing can ID. I have seen way to many posts about buying it for push to applications, even statements that it can ID over 6,000 objects. Well that it can, but I doubt that there are many of us who want to look at 6,000 stars. Who needs anything to find 6,000 stars anyway?

If you want to spend the $400 for this thing, be my guest. I am realy just trying to set the record straight. I do not know why anyone would want to make promises that the product was not made for, suggestions that that you might wish it could do is on the way, when you have no way of knowing if it is. I also wonder why you would try and sell this product to other people by suggesting that it can be used in a fashion that it was not intended, listed or otherwise advertised by the manufacturer, when it clearly is not up to the task.

When and if Celestron ever comes out with a SkyScout, that one can mount of the telescope, and allow you to push that scope, or slew it for that matter in the case of mount with drive motors, to the complete NGC, IC, ABLE, Messier Etc, Catalogs, then talk about it.

#6 firestar

firestar

Born to be Mild

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:22 AM

Don't hold your breath! This "Gadget", your words, not mine, is an off shoot from the Skyalign program in thier GOTO. That is all it is, it simply does not have the base to replace a Finder Scope and Sky Chart, or Digital Setting Circles. Nor does it have the Accuracy needed, and probably never will.

As far as the other comment about Analog Blah, Blah, Blah, you can see that I do use a GOTO Scope as well as a DOB, so I am not opposed to inovation, Goto, or Push to, but if you are going to have a DOB and you want to view what there is to view, then you are going to have to go to Digital Setting Circles, or use a good Finder Scope with a good Sky Chart to do it, unless you want to just pan the sky and come accross something. One can do that in Virgo.

I have simply refered you to the Celestron web site that referances what this thing can ID. I have seen way to many posts about buying it for push to applications, even statements that it can ID over 6,000 objects. Well that it can, but I doubt that there are many of us who want to look at 6,000 stars. Who needs anything to find 6,000 stars anyway?

If you want to spend the $400 for this thing, be my guest. I am realy just trying to set the record straight. I do not know why anyone would want to make promises that the product was not made for, suggestions that that you might wish it could do is on the way, when you have no way of knowing if it is. I also wonder why you would try and sell this product to other people by suggesting that it can be used in a fashion that it was not intended, listed or otherwise advertised by the manufacturer, when it clearly is not up to the task.

When and if Celestron ever comes out with a SkyScout, that one can mount of the telescope, and allow you to push that scope, or slew it for that matter in the case of mount with drive motors, to the complete NGC, IC, ABLE, Messier Etc, Catalogs, then talk about it.

:ranting: :banned: :coolnod: :goodjob: :bow:

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:18 AM

>>>When and if Celestron ever comes out with a SkyScout, that one can mount of the telescope, and allow you to push that scope, or slew it for that matter in the case of mount with drive motors, to the complete NGC, IC, ABLE, Messier Etc, Catalogs, then talk about it.
====

Joe:

I share your concern about the SkyScout, certainly 100 objects is a minimal database. 6000 stars are nice but not particularly useful for most observers. I think the real advantage is the ability to help with learning the constellations and the ease of use.

As far as an advanced Sky-Scount goes, without knowing the technical details, it is my assumption that the Sky-Scout uses GPS data plus accurate angle and magnetic compass data to determine where they Sky-Scout is pointing. It then needs to compute what object or star is closest to that point. This is a rather complex set of measurements and without calibration and alignment procedures, it would probably be difficult to do accurately enough to point a scope accurately enough to handle your requirements.

With the Alignment required and a steady mount, one is essentially looking at a GOTO or PUSHTO, with the possible addition of a green laser. Both Autostar and Nexstar have the "Identify" function.

While I wouldn't consider buying a Sky Scout, I think there is a place for it as a learning tool, particularly for people starting out with a GOTO scope. I am reminded of a group I setup alongside of one night with a new LX-90. They seemed happy so I left them to their own devices but as I was packing to leave, the new scope's owner came over and asked me to show him the alignment stars. Well I did and thought all was well but the next night I was back, they were back and they still had not gotten it to work. Well, we did get it up and running but a SkyScout would have been nice for them. OF course one could buy a GPS unit for your scope but the SkyScout does offer a portability and ease of use so someone can just spend an odd moment under the stars looking.

It would seem that it is not a great tool as a finder but it probably provides both alt-az and ra-dec coordinates so with a chart or computer, it could be used as a rough finder though manual setting circles would probably do a better job.

Jon

#8 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:50 AM

Accuracy on the skyscout is around three to five degrees.

And, from what I understand, it's not based on any of celestrons prior technology. There were sketches and rumors of this thing floating around the net a year or two before celestron ever even announced it.

I think some people are missing the point here -

It's not designed to point telescopes. It's designed to introduce folks to naked eye astronomy. Obviously, some people will want one, some won't. Personally, I think it's a hoot. There are a lot of little details in the database that I wasn't aware of, and I've been doing this for a while. But then again, some folks certainly won't be interested. That's fine.

As per how it works - it does exactly what celestron says it does, and consumers would be well advised - as with any product - to make sure they know what they are buying.

In some ways, these posts remind me a LOT of the goto vs sky hop wars of a couple years back. Anything that brings people into the hobby or enhances the enjoyment of it, is IMO, a good product. The technology is here to stay, and it will only get better as time passes.

I guess my question is - Shouldn't we be embracing things that bring newbies into astronomy? Some posts (apparently from users who haven't spent much if any time with it) have seemed extremely negative of the skyscout, and I'm not exactly sure why. I'm guessing it's the old traditionalist arguement raising it's head again. I look at it like this - It's a hobby, there really is no right or wrong way to do it - it's just whatever makes folks happy.

I know folks who collect optics - they have some very expensive gear that NEVER sees starlight. It's how they want to spend their money, and they enjoy it. That's all that really matters.

It's a hobby - do what you find fun.

T

#9 Joe Osborn

Joe Osborn

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

The intent of this thread was to point out that dispite wishfull thinking, exaggerated posts, that the SkyScout was not intended, or usefull for Push to applications.

As far as bringing in newbies are concerned, the cost of this hobby is probably keeping more away then the SkyScout can bring in.

Comments like, you are stuck in the past, are completely unwarrented. Many of us make do. "Bang for the Buck" is used widely throught this forum. That is why there are so many DOB users out there. That is why there is this pentup desire for this SkyScout to be what it isn't. They bought the DOB on the good advise of the posters on this forum, but forgot to tell them how to use it. So now we tell them to buy the SkyScout, but forget to tell them it will not help them use the DOB they purchased, and in the end they will have to learn to read a sky chart, or purchase a DSC anyway. They might just as well do that instead and save the money.

#10 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

Joe,

Please don't put words in my mouth. I'm not saying anyone's stuck in the past. I'm saying I'm guessing there's a traditionalist element here similar to goto vs star hop. For the record, IMO, nobody was wrong there either. It's just different ways of looking at the same thing. For the record, I never understood why some people were so vehement about that either - but it's a personal choice, and I don't deny their right to choose.

If all you're doing is telling folks it isn't a push to computer, then fine - everybody's agreeing with you. The skyscout isn't a push to device.

But - It's not designed to be. In fact, from what I've seen Celestron's never even made the claim it is - quite the opposite actually. While I've seen comments from folks who are inquiring about it in various threads, I don't think I've ever seen any one actually respoind by saying - "Yes, it's a push to device. Go get one and mount it on your dob." Quite the contrary in fact. So I'm not positive where this is coming from.

The entire point of the scout is to help them learn the sky from a naked eye standpoint.

Can they tape the scout to a dob down the road? No, of course not. (At least this version.) I don't see anyone claming they can. No one is saying - "Here, mr interested newbie, take this, it's all you'll ever need - now go off into the corner and don't bother me anymore."

But what's important here - What do they get from the skyscout? Nurturing in their desire to learn about the night sky. If there's a person available, yes, that would be better, but the sheer fact of the matter is - many folks will simply not have that luxury.

Then, once they've used the scout to get a knowledge of the night sky and what's up there, can the beginner, if they maintain an interest, can they take that ->knowledge of the sky<- and apply it to using a telescope as a head start on DSC's, charts and the rest? Sure. That's golden!

So, while I kinda your point, I don't agree. I don't think many people are going to buy it thinking they will buy a telescope and tape it to it down the road. Mebbe I'm wrong.

If this gets folks interested in astronomy - and by all reports it certainly is having that effect - then I'm all for it. It's nurturing the interest in and desire for astronomy that's the important thing here - not if you'll be able to use it for something it was never designed for down the road.

T

#11 azsrr

azsrr

Messenger

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:57 AM

The intent of this thread was to point out that dispite wishfull thinking, exaggerated posts, that the SkyScout was not intended, or usefull for Push to applications.

From what I have seen, every time this subject has come up on CN, usually a question asked by someone who hasn't bought a SkyScout yet, those of us who do own a SkyScout have responded that it is not suitable for use as a go-to or push-to device on a telescope. I have written several of those posts myself, including one in which I tested my SkyScout on my XT12i to see if it would generate "metal" errors.

There are multiple threads on CN, all of which say "do not try to use this as a finder on your telescope." Here is one. Here is another one. Here is another one.

In each of these threads, those of us who actually own the device have said "don't use it instead of a Telrad." I have missed the "exagerated" posts in which CN'ers are advocating the use of the SkyScout as a go-to or push-to, and if you can link them to me I will be sure to post in those threads that I think that advice is in error.

So, thanks for posting the reminder, and I am glad that you agree with all of us who actually own the device, based on your research.

As to your other comments, well, all I will say is, fortunately for you, I spent my money on my SkyScout, not your money. You think I wasted my money -- well, I disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion. Either way, my strong advice to you, friend, is to not buy one. Spend your money on a Nagler instead. It's all good, the sky is free, and each of us is entitled to practice (or to not practice) this hobby as we see fit. I really like my SkyScout, limitations and all, and I think this debate is actually pretty humorous.

Clear skies to us all.

#12 Joe Osborn

Joe Osborn

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

Tom,

Wasn't refering to your post, but to LTZ's post, as far as stuck in the past.

Tom, there are many threads about doing just that, using this thing as a push to device. Simply, I was pointing out that it will not work, and shouldn't be promoted as such.

I have posted on other threads that I did not see the value of the product for me, but that is what the thread asked, so I thought they meant that they wanted my opinion, but now I realize they probably were only interested in my support. If someone wants it fine.

I have no interest in waging a war about sky charts, GOTO, Push to, etc.,( I agree it is a pointless argument ), just what this product is intended for. Whatever the product, if you can afford it, and it gets you to look up and enjoy the night sky, great I am for it. I just like to see things be kept in perspective. If however you can not afford it, there are cheaper, in my mind more effective, albeit, not as flashy, or modern ways, to enjoy the night sky, and it should be promoted also, if we really want to promte this hobby.

#13 LTZ

LTZ

Messenger

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:10 AM

It doesn't surprise me that it doesn't have appeal to experienced astronomers, but has found huge popularity among noobs such as myself. Perhaps one day, I won't see the need for it and it'll go up for sale like any other gadget that I've purchased and stopped using.

Also, I did not intend for my analog comments to be construed as an insult to those who appreciate analog equipment. I participate on various Leica camera forums and audio forums and encounter these sort of arguments all the time. I still shoot film and long for vinyl.

#14 LTZ

LTZ

Messenger

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

Joe - I never said you were stuck in the past. I merely indicated the existence of die hard analog folks in every hobby, such as photography and audio equipment. I also never discounted myself as being part of that group of die hard analog folks.

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:19 PM

As a professional astronomer, I can attest that this gadget strangely does have appeal. I learned the sky as a child, and after years of ATM and AA decided to go pro. Like my years as a professional pilot (where I learned that my days as a private pilot were naive ones!), it became obvious that alot of what the amateur does will not fit in the professional toolkit...

But I was loaned a SkySount for the weekend for fun from the staff librarian... I went out and half-heartedly began to play with it... well the screen is not optimal, the GPS is slow (compared to state of the art), the LEDs are not adjustable, it needs internal speakers, and mostly it should have user-definded objects...

BUT it's amazing - pretty accurate. Maybe this one is a good one.... but I got sub-degre accuracy through 40 some objects. It is fun! I already attached my green laser I use for EPO to it - even better.

While some real improvements could be had consulting with a gps giant and using a high-sensitivity WAAS-capable GPS receiver by SiRF ...

BTW you could still mount the thing as a finder - with a 50mm on a 16" f/5 I could also get the targets in the FOV with it temporaritly placed in guidescope rings...

But it's a really neat gadget. I am a pro - and buying my own...

Paul

#16 bkushner

bkushner

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:43 AM

The Skyscout is the single reason I'm here and into astronomy today.

Brian

#17 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:29 PM

Brian,

THAT is a great testimonial. Thanks for mentioning it.

#18 JHollJr

JHollJr

Vanguard

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

Well I bought the SkyScout and keep it with me when I'm out with my scopes and binocs. I like it. Do I need it? Probably not, because I've been in the hobby about 50 years and know the sky really well. I don't know all the names of the stars, though and that's one of the things it has been useful for. Look them up in a book? I don't have to. Just point the SkyScout and get the info.

#19 Raven

Raven

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:14 AM

really interesting reading, I saw these advertised in a magazine & wondered if it was worth getting one. Think I'll put the money towards a good pair of binoculars instead.

#20 jonnyastro

jonnyastro

Gemini

• ****-

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

really interesting reading, I saw these advertised in a magazine & wondered if it was worth getting one. Think I'll put the money towards a good pair of binoculars instead.

Good call in my opinion!

#21 bkushner

bkushner

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

Wouldn't be great to if Celestron integrated the Skyscout into some magnification when viewing through the viewfinder?

#22 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:47 PM

Have you figured out how to do that yet? It might be a neat "add on" for an "aftermarket" product...

#23 tog

tog

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:48 AM

In another thread I have already stated that I like the SkyScout. If it helps those new to the hobby and if it can get kids away from the tv and out under the stars, then the SkyScout has more than served its purpose in my opinion.
tog

#24 Stephen Mendes

Stephen Mendes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:56 PM

I cant understand why all these people want to use Sky Scout to point telescopes... there are ALREADY computerised mounts to do this... and if the hand controller is not good enough for you... simply hook up a cable to your laptop and use Starry Night Pro or The Sky to both locate and identify objects.

Sky Scout is amazingly accurate and simple to use... its fun.. and even though I know the sky very, very well after years of practice as a child (when we had nothing but sky charts and/or a celestial globe)... I still ENJOY playing with it and listening to the narrations.

The children of today are really spoilt... they have no excuse... they can learn the sky painlessly and in half the time.

granted it is a little expensive.. and you may want to put your money elsewhere... but when you think of how amazing the technology is price is relative... the price will probably decrease with time, or else some competition may drive it down.

#25 Olivier Biot

Olivier Biot

Amused

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:06 PM

I think many SkyScout owners try some potential new uses for it, such as using it as a talking finder.

I don't think people are buying the SkyScout with the only intention to use it as a finder. There are other products that serve this purpose.

I am glad to see so many happy SkyScout owners. IMHO Celestron found a hole in the astronomy accessory market.

Cheers,

Olivier

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics