•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sending G-11 Back to Losmandy For Modification

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Allen

Dave Allen

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

I wonder if someone can help me. Here's my problem: I have an older G-11 from the Celestron era and it has a single latitude knob. Scott Losmandy will update it to the later double lock arrangement - but I have to ship the mount from Texas to California.

Do you have a G-11 shipping box with the foam to protect the mount on its journey? (I only need one shipping box - the one for the head.) I could borrow it, but that might not be a good idea (box could get damaged during shipping). Or I could buy it :help:

This is recycling at its best!

Please let me know if you have a box to sell. My email address is:

(removed for Dave's sake - please PM Dave for his email address)

CS, Dave

#2 urbanMark

urbanMark

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

How about asking Scott to sell you the required parts and send you a drawing for the required machining operations. You could then find a competent local machine shop to do the work - or even a friend with a large mill and do the mod yourself. This would save the shipping hassle and risk, and reduce your down time.

#3 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:47 AM

How about asking Scott to sell you the required parts and send you a drawing for the required machining operations. You could then find a competent local machine shop to do the work - or even a friend with a large mill and do the mod yourself. This would save the shipping hassle and risk, and reduce your down time.

I second that idea. And in todays economy your local machine shop will be thankful for the business.

#4 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Hubble

• Administrators

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:35 AM

I wonder if someone can help me. Here's my problem: I have an older G-11 from the Celestron era and it has a single latitude knob. Scott Losmandy will update it to the later double lock arrangement - but I have to ship the mount from Texas to California.

Do you have a G-11 shipping box with the foam to protect the mount on its journey? (I only need one shipping box - the one for the head.) I could borrow it, but that might not be a good idea (box could get damaged during shipping). Or I could buy it :help:

CS, Dave

Hi Dave - You could also try asking Scott to send you a box to ship the head in. If he doesn't have the right thing then nobodoy does...

BTW, you should really avoid posting your email address in forums - spammers mine forums for this info.

Charlie

#5 Dave Allen

Dave Allen

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll follow up and report back. :bow:

Also - Charlie - Thanks for cleaning up my message :foreheadslap:

Clear skies, Dave

#6 GolfSierra

GolfSierra

Messenger

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

Dave,

I did this same mod to my old Celestron brand G11 back around 2002. I packed the head in an Igloo cooler with bubble wrap and additional foam. It survived round trip just fine. Losmandy had the mount for near six months, I called to check the status, as it turned out it regular production had priority and nothing had been done. Two weeks later it was returned with the mod complete and the altitude blocks with the Losmandy logo. They just swapped out the parts to update to the later version. You may find it easier and less time to get the parts and do it your self.

Gary

#7 rsbfoto

rsbfoto

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

CS, Dave

Hi Dave,

If you have a machine shop near you could let it modify very easy by doing it like I did. Look at this images

image 1 and image 2

There is one plate like that on each side. You just have to drill a hole of the RA axis and tap it with a 1/4"-20 thread.

I also have a newer one with the original Losmandy elevation lock and honestly my adaptation does lock by far better then the Losmandy ...

#8 Dave Allen

Dave Allen

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

Six months turnaround - wow - hadn't figured on that!

Rainer's mod looks even more attractive now. Or maybe I'll just build a pier, set the mount permanently and keep the mount unchanged. ;)

Thanks again! Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics