•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DM-6 users?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 TomN

TomN

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

Anybody using a DM-6? I've been using mine with the AP130 on the G11 tripod and just really enjoying the stability and accuracy of this mount! The DSCs have incredible resolution, two star alignment puts the target right in the eyepiece every time. Really a quality setup. I am thinking about using the DM-6 with my de-forked C8. Anybody done this? Would like to hear from other users willing to share their experiences.

Tom

#2 JMW

JMW

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

My CPC mount broke down again so on Saturday I de-forked my C925 cat from the forks. I put it on my
DM-4 mount and it worked pretty well but I am sure that the DM-6 would be a better match. It is a few
pounds over the rated DM-4 capacity but cats are much shorter than refractors so the mass stays closer
to the rotational axis.

I need to add a handle for leverage to help with small moments. A C925 is pretty back heavy.
I have to push on the front of the scope until I figure out a handle.

#3 SteveC

SteveC

Hubble

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:12 AM

I've used my Intes-Micro Mak with the DM-6 without any problems. With its steel dew shield, my Mak is a beast compared to your C8. Your DM-6 will have capacity to spare with your C8 mounted.

#4 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:25 AM

I've got a C9.25 on my DM-6 and it's a very good fit. At one time I tried a C11 on it, and while it handled it reasonably well, it was just too darn bulky and difficult to safely wrestle onto and off of the mount. I always had the feeling it was likely to slip out of my hands. The C9.25 is just enough smaller that it's not all that difficult, although you still need to be very careful with it.
Performance wise, the DM-6 handles it with no issues, and there is virtually no vibration at the eyepiece while focusing. It can be a bit difficult to move because it sits so far forward in the saddle, but I just grab the handle on the back of the scope in that case and use it.

John

#5 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Aurora

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hi Tom,

I use Vixen VMC260L on DM-6/G11 HD/FHD tripod. I observe around 60x-200x, mostly 100x-150x. Sky Commander is quite accurate.

Posted Image

Tammy

#6 TomN

TomN

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:28 PM

Thanks Tammy! Very nice setup by the way. That however, is a very large scope!! I'm going to get busy and get that C8 out on the DM-6.

#7 john 127

john 127

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:13 AM

Hi Tom,

I use my Mewlon 250s on a DM-6 with G-11 tripod. It works fine. you'll have no problems with your C-8

John

#8 Wayne W.

Wayne W.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

Hi Tom.
I de-forked my orange tube C8 and used ADM hardware to mount it on my DM-6. I also use my TMB92SS on the mount as well. Smooth operation with both scopes. I spoke with Tom Peters at NEAF and expressed an interest in adding an Argo Navis DTC to the DM-6. He said it can be done and he would modify the encoders to work with the mount. I think the Argo is better than the Sky Commander. Clear Skies.

Wayne

#9 TomN

TomN

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:32 AM

Hi Tom.
I de-forked my orange tube C8 and used ADM hardware to mount it on my DM-6. I also use my TMB92SS on the mount as well. Smooth operation with both scopes. I spoke with Tom Peters at NEAF and expressed an interest in adding an Argo Navis DTC to the DM-6. He said it can be done and he would modify the encoders to work with the mount. I think the Argo is better than the Sky Commander. Clear Skies.

Wayne

Hi Wayne, I bought the Losmandy hardware for my C8. I never thought about using smaller scopes on the mount, I guess there is absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work perfectly. Although I have thought about buying a DM-4 for my smaller aperture scopes, mostly for ease of setup.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Sky Commander vs. Argo Navis... Thanks!

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics