•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Beginner using Sol finder on PST

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 sshres

sshres

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

Hi I am new to solar observing and I just got my PST the other day so I used it the first time today and the sun was overhead and Im just wondering, do people at first have a lot of trouble with the sol finder I honestly could not get it centered on the sun- I tried everywhich way possible where the general vicinity of the sun was and it was just not easy at all - do I need one of those sol tubes instead? I never figured this thing to be so hard considering the sun is huge but it was. The other thing was the porta mount for the PST - since I had the PST pointed almost straight up it was constantly colliding with the legs for the mount and Im wondering if I need to buy a tripod adapter and just place it on my regular tripod- I guess that was just a result of the sun being so high. Anyways if anyone could help me out that would be great because that was an excruciating experience I went through. :confused:

#2 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:51 PM

do people at first have a lot of trouble with the sol finder

I didn't ...

#3 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

Try again with the Sun lower in the sky.

Solar viewing is usually better in the early to mid-morning anyway, before the Sun has heated up the atmosphere and (usually) degraded the seeing. Also, as you discovered, pointing your scope straight up adds some ergonomic problems....

The Sol Searcher is pretty easy to get used to. You'll get the hang of it....

(For initial set-up, if you just point your scope so that its shadow on the ground is minimized, you'll be pointing at the Sun....or very close. A little "fishing" will get you there. Indeed, some folks see no need for a "Sun finder" at all, and just aim their scope by the shadow method every time. I find the Sol Searcher to be a real time-saver, though.....but, like any tool, you have to get used to it....)

A trio of big bright prominences just popped out on the south limb of the Sun....now, there's an incentive to get your Sun finder working!! :jump:

Jim

#4 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

Using the finder when the sun is straight overhead is more challenging. Also, some mounts do not work all that great near the zenith. Try with a lower sun angle and also with a lower power eyepiece, like a 25mm. The finder on my PST is slightly off too, meaning that when the sun is centered on the scope, it shows it a little bit high on the finder.

cm

#5 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Make sure nothing is blocking the opening for the finder. It peeks out through a small opening located under the tube. To rough-in the alignment I look at the shadow the telescope tube casts onto the body section of the PST. You can also look at the shadow the PST casts onto the ground to see how close it is pointing towards the sun.

#6 sshres

sshres

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

You know what guys I just tried it with the sun lower in the horizon and it was a lot easier - I guess that tripod doesnt like to have that steep an angle to work with. I will try again tomorrow but I dont think it will be a problem. I guess its safe to say though that a mount adapter to a tripod is probably a good investment? Thanks for the input guys

#7 LBartolomei

LBartolomei

Mariner 2

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:49 AM

Try sighting the sun by watching the PST's shadow on the ground. When it's shadow is smallest, you'll have the scope more or less pointed at the sun. Then, it's just a matter of sighting the sun on the finder with small, incremental movements.

#8 LBartolomei

LBartolomei

Mariner 2

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

Sorry about the repetition. I hadn't read John's post explaining the same procedure.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics