•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX90 8" ACF Collimation screws discrepancy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 tokamak85

tokamak85

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

I recently purchased a Meade LX90 8" ACF and decided to give the collimation a "dry run" before going out to do it under the stars.

I noticed the manual says the outside screws adjust collimation, but when I went to adjust them they didn't seem to do anything but loosen.
The inside screws seemed to "feel" like they were moving the mirror (I didn't move it very far at all in fear of damaging something). Is there a discrepancy in the manual?

Here is exactly what my scope looks like:

Posted Image
(BTW this is not my image, I got this image from a post by "Essex Stargazer" from the "stargazerslounge" forums as it provided the best image I could link to)

#2 chris881981

chris881981

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

I just had to go through this tonight actually. It appeared to me that the older LX90 versions did not have the two sets of screws. Someone else on here can verify that. It is infact a discrepancy in the manual. The center sets of screws it what is used to collimate. I fought with this for a couple hours now, finally got it collimated. I was using a Laser. Much to my surprise it is utterly junk for my SCT. The way they say to do it in the manual had me collimated in just a matter of 2-3 minutes. I believe the outer screws seem to hold it all together the secondary unit that is. Again, someone else here can verify 100%. So far just tonight that is my experience.

#3 tokamak85

tokamak85

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:49 AM

Yep I just went and gave this a very cautious test and those are indeed the correct screws. Thank you for helping me verify which ones to adjust! :grin:

You don't like the laser collimator then? Also I notice from your sig you have a Canon T3, how do you like that for imaging? Is it modded?

..haha sorry for the flood of questions

#4 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Gemini

• -----

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

You should have checked the scope out under the stars before messing with it. The vast majority of them need no adjusting when you get them.

#5 tokamak85

tokamak85

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Adjustment needed or not I want to learn and practice collimating the scope. ;)

#6 AntMan1

AntMan1

Viking 1

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Wow OK.Same thing here! Thank god I found this thread because a brand new lx90 came with a manual that says the same thing! outer three screws! So like an idiot i am out there two nights ago making small turns and NOTHING is happening so i said let me just turn every screw back in and forget about it. I seen this thread and then called Meade and it is the three inner screws they said they need to update there manual.Cloudy nights and it's members to rescue once again!

#7 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

Wow OK.Same thing here! Thank god I found this thread because a brand new lx90 came with a manual that says the same thing! outer three screws! So like an idiot i am out there two nights ago making small turns and NOTHING is happening so i said let me just turn every screw back in and forget about it. I seen this thread and then called Meade and it is the three inner screws they said they need to update there manual.Cloudy nights and it's members to rescue once again!

Meade, Meade, Meade, Meade, Meade...sigh. :bawling:

#8 Meade Instr.

Meade Instr.

Vendor Meade Instruments

• Vendors

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

The manual has been updated. You can find it on our website as "LX90 ACF":

http://www.meade.com...nuals/lx-series

We apologize for the error.

#9 crsrs

crsrs

Vostok 1

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Meade, nice to know you're there with the help we need.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics