•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Telescope Recall Notification - LX800

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Meade Instr.

Meade Instr.

Vendor Meade Instruments

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

Affected Models – All LX800 with StarLock

Dear Valued LX800 Customers,

As a result of initial customer feedback of the LX800, which prompted further, extensive, testing, we
have identified a number of areas that should be changed in order to achieve the specified
performance criteria we have set for the product. Although initially we believed this could be
accomplished with only firmware updates to the LX800 mount and StarLock, we now believe
mechanical changes should also be implemented in addition to the firmware updates.

If you own a Meade LX800, please contact customer service at 800-626-3233 to set-up a return
authorization. Meade will issue call tags to collect your product, we will implement all of the
prescribed changes and return the product to you at no charge.

These changes are deemed critical to the performance of the product and rather than have customers
struggle through this with less than optimal results, we believe a proactive approach is the best
course of action. The rework itself is expected to take only a few weeks.

The changes will include several mechanical adjustments, new StarLock and LX800 firmware, a
new one piece saddle plate, and for customers of ACF optical tubes, a piggy-back bracket to allow
for an additional mounting location for StarLock on top of the optical tube.

We humbly apologize for the difficulty these issues have caused, but feel that this course of action is
the right thing to do. The LX800 is a fantastic system and we believe our customers will agree once
they get a chance to use the system.

-----------------------------------------

Here is a rough list of the items you should return.

However, you should check with to see exactly what you need to return when you call our Customer Support line at (800) 626-3233

What to Return:

1. Mount Box: Mount head and saddle, StarLock with cable, control box, AutoStar II hand box.

2. ACF OTA Box: Includes OTA with shipping bolt installed, dovetail rail.

Call tags will be issued for the Mount Box and OTA box.

Again, please make sure to call our Customer Support line at (800) 626-3233 for more details.

-----------------------------------------

Sincerely,

Meade Instruments

#2 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Sent You A PM MEAD.

#3 Lee Jay

Lee Jay

Apollo

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

:bow: < < < Applause > > > :bow:

#4 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

well mead is on the ball...answered my pm in 5 minutes.
i hope things work out also.

#5 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

Does this effect the LX600 as well? Estimated ship date on LX600?

#6 MPT

MPT

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

Great to see Meade standing behind its product. Probably not the easiest decision, but the right one.

#7 Meade Instr.

Meade Instr.

Vendor Meade Instruments

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

We're compiling a list of items that should be included in the shipment back. When I have the final list i'll update the original post.

#8 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

I am glad you put the problems out there in the open. I hope that Meade has the fixes in hand, and this does not just become a fumbling football.

#9 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

Great to see Meade standing behind its product. Probably not the easiest decision, but the right one.

I've always had gret service from Meade whether it was my old Starfinder EQ, the LX200 or the PST rust that Meade fixed free even though it was from the original manufacturer.

#10 Rob E

Rob E

Village......clown

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Definitely a customer oriented approach.. Kudos for owning up to the issue(s) and actually enhancing the customer experience instead of trying to sweep it away and jeopardizing credibility.. It's hard to find any fault with someone who's making it right and willing to go the extra mile to do so..

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

#11 Uptmor

Uptmor

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

This is a long shot, but is anyone out there wanting/willing to sell their LX800 OTA that came with the kit? If so, let me know as I'm already set as far as a mount goes.
Thank you!

#12 Meade Instr.

Meade Instr.

Vendor Meade Instruments

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

I have edited the original post with a rough list of items that should be returned. However, you should make sure to call our Customer support line at (800) 626-3233 and double check with them on what you should return.

#13 imjeffp

imjeffp

Aluminum Falcon

• ***--

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Problems aside, it's nice to finally see an official Meade presence on Cloudy Nights!

#14 GlennS

GlennS

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

Any word on what is being done to the mount, besides the saddle change?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics