Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | >> (show all)
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: andysea]
      #6274063 - 12/26/13 05:24 PM

Andy,

It is 14"X14"x7 3/8 high

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cuivienor
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/07/10

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6274228 - 12/26/13 07:12 PM

I am having LED issues as well, but it doesn't seem to be the LED - it seems to be the cable itself (twisting one end of the cable would make the LED light up). Although I'm not completely sure because now the LED refuses to light up at all.

Anyone knows whether this cable is something that can be bought easily, to have replacements?

Thanks!

Yannick

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #6274543 - 12/26/13 10:16 PM

Thank you so much Mike!!

Andy

p3boy

Reged: 01/18/12

Loc: N. VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Octans]
      #6274911 - 12/27/13 07:43 AM

Quote:

Anyone order one from Amazon and not get a tripod? I've heard that the mount and tripod sometimes come in different packages, but the weight they gave matches the weight of the mount + case (without tripod) alone: http://www.amazon.com/iOptron-7100-HC-ZEQ25-Polar-Scope/dp/B00EUDR2NG

Did not order from Amazon but the model 7100HC on the iOptron web site shows a 1.5 in tripod as an included accessory. The Amazon price is within
$.08 of the iOptron price And yes, two packages.
Paul

TacoBrahe
journeyman

Reged: 02/02/13

Loc: Texas
      #6276029 - 12/27/13 07:51 PM

Is your canon mod'ed?
Awesome pic's

nine44
sage

Reged: 01/19/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: TacoBrahe]
      #6276782 - 12/28/13 08:54 AM

So is the ZEQ25's software polar align routine useless? After polar aligning with my PS, I used the polar align software routine to try to improve things a bit more and it completely messed up my PA. I recall seeing elsewhere in this thread, Paul mentioned the same thing. Can I improve my PA with this mount without drift aligning? Am I limited to the accuracy of my PS? I'm missing ASPA.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: nine44]
      #6276825 - 12/28/13 09:23 AM

You can certainly improve on the Polar Alignment by drift Aligning. I've much better PA using the Polar Scope than the Polar Alignment procedure. After using the Polar Scope I just do a 1 Star alignment.

TacoBrahe
journeyman

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: leveye]
      #6276961 - 12/28/13 10:52 AM

Awesome

TacoBrahe
journeyman

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6278991 - 12/29/13 11:49 AM

Paul, any chance on getting a copy of your notes about eliminating the chatter? I'm still really on the fense between the AVX and the ZEQ25GT (and I've read all 49 pages of this thread). I enjoy the DIY hands on tweeking that enables one to really KNOW their mount. The Zeq25 is a solid design with "QC" issues. It's a CEM, I get that and I have no qualms about degreasing and tweeking before first light (makes me feel like an engineer). IMHO Celestron's support is nowhere as good as what I've heard about iOptrons quick responses. My best friend has a AVX and people, it IS HEAVY. Some people may equate that to "sturdy". My back says heavy is heavy. If I can envest a little of my time on a new, ground breaking awesome design and get the results like Paul and some of the others get, I'm cool with that. I absolutely LOVE tinkering as long as someone knowledgable like Paul has already proven the CEM works, and works WELL. His results are undeniable. I plan on putting a AT6RC on it with my T4i, some LP filters and a Orion StarShoot AutoGuider, but then again I'm into electric r/c planes where 'lighter' is better. The AVX is heavy, and from what I hear, has quite a few quirks too. I'm thinking the effort by iOptron with their customer service pushes me to their side. In this economy we really want to 'get our moneys worth', but seriously people, this IS a radical new design concept. Sorry to be long winded, but just a few of my thoughts.
- Tom

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: TacoBrahe]
      #6282387 - 12/30/13 10:50 PM

Tom I was in the same boat as you 9 months ago and decided to go with the ZEQ25 primarily for weight reasons. Like many other users on this forums my mount had minor issues too; but was amazed at the speed of support from Ioptron. Mine came with a busted on/off switch and they sent me a new main board card immediately. The second issue which I think is very common with this mount is the meshing of the gears out of the box (too much play); however the mount is very easy to take apart and back together, I have done it countless times trying to make my mount perform like Paul's. Getting closer. From discussions on this forum, I would guess the AVX on average performs better out of the box, but the ZEQ25 I believe can exceed it with some minor tinkering. While the AVX is just an improvement on a well known design, the ZEQ25 is a brand new design and is bound to have a few more growing pains.
Of the most common issues:
The chatter: mine very rarely does it ( don't know what triggers it, but doesn't seem to be an issue with performance so I haven't messed with it- read about taping the encoder cap as a possible solution)
The play in gears requires a couple of steps: 1 stiffer springs (possible new mounts come with them) and 2 proper alignment of the gears). Paul made a very nice video regarding the procedure. maybe a 15 minute job.
Finally it is a light sub 1000$ dollar mount and for the price I think it as good as it gets. At some point during the thread a poster was comparing it to is TAK mount but that's akin to comparing an Honda civic and a Bentley without adjusting for cost.

ManojK

Reged: 08/07/09

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: gramaglia]
      #6297225 - 01/06/14 11:43 PM

This is a long thread! Paul, thanks for starting it, I have seen some of your videos as well and your enthusiasm is contagious.

I have been imaging for some time now (astrobin.com/users/manojkoushik/) and like to think that my skills have progressed (both processing and capturing) but maybe I have hit my "incompetence plateau".

Also, every single subframe I have obtained is from a red zone (suburbs of San Francisco), mostly because I am lazy and hate tearing down my setup and dragging it to a dark site. I built a roll off roof on top my house so I didn't have to tear down the setup.

The zeq25 has my brain spinning about the possibilities of traveling with it to remote locations as airline carry on. Right now I am imaging with a ES 127ED but have a AT65EDQ coming to me soon. The combination of zeq25 and AT65EDQ should easily fit into a carry on (maybe even a powermate 2x or 4x for some higher FLs)

I will either be imaging with a QHY8/QSI683 or a modded Canon 60d (leaning towards the latter so I don't need a laptop). If I go the modded cannon route I might end up guiding with something like linguider on a raspberry pi. Guiding will be an Orion 50mm guider with a helical focuser and a lodestar.

Has anyone else got a similar setup? and/or has done air travel with this mount? (only the head would go into carry on, the tripod and counterweight/powerweight) would go into checkin. If so can you offer me your impressions?

thanks!

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: ManojK]
      #6297254 - 01/07/14 12:14 AM

There is a post in another thread by a member that just finished a trip with his Z25... Check here

I think with a smallish refractor this would be the perfect traveling AP mount.

Mike

tango13

Reged: 03/16/11

Loc: Rome, Italy
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: ManojK]
      #6297423 - 01/07/14 04:33 AM

Quote:

Has anyone else got a similar setup? and/or has done air travel with this mount? (only the head would go into carry on, the tripod and counterweight/powerweight) would go into checkin. If so can you offer me your impressions?

Hi,

I have a ZEQ25 which I use with a 70 mm apo refractor, a dslr camera, a 50 mm finder that I use as a guider scope and a raspberry on which I've installed linguider, so I'd say I have a setup similar to yours.
I haven't travelled by plane with it so I can't be more specific on that, but I can tell you that overall that's a very portable and nice setup.
I've configured my raspberry to work as a wifi access point so I connect to it and guide through my tablet, no need to use a PC, which allows me to save a lot of power.
Despite some doubts about iOptron's QC on these mounts and some (mostly) minor flaws and problems, I'm very happy with my mount and setup and I can tell you that's a good route to go in my opinion.
There's another very interesting and promising project on this forum of a full and very portable mount guide/control system, it's called iAstroHub (originally PiAstroHub), I'd suggest to check it out too.

Ciao,
Piero

rkayakr
sage

Reged: 10/27/10

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: tango13]
      #6297630 - 01/07/14 09:23 AM

I just got back from an air travel trip with my ZEQ25, WO Z80 and Canon T3i. I carried the WO Z80 on in its case, carried the T3i on in my backpack and packed the mount in luggage. I removed the head and stuffed it and the tray each into a T shirts. I stuffed the controller in a sock and fit into a shoe. I packed clothes around the tripod.
At my destination I bought a jump start type power pack for $39.99 at Harbor Freight that I donated to the local club when I left.

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: rkayakr]
      #6298299 - 01/07/14 03:02 PM

Quote:

At my destination I bought a jump start type power pack for $39.99 at Harbor Freight that I donated to the local club when I left.

That was a great gesture, and a good solution for your power requirements. It's nice when people think outside of the box to solve problems...:)

In the future, you might want to consider the iOpron powerweight, it's easily stored in standard luggage and only weighs about 7 pounds. It will power your mount for at least 2-3 evenings before re-charging.

Just a thought...clear skies,

Paul

Edited by Astronewb (01/07/14 03:02 PM)

ManojK

Reged: 08/07/09

#6298430 - 01/07/14 04:16 PM

I have definitely seen the threads on iAstrohub and it is indeed very interesting for the pi platform.

So looks like the consensus is that travel with the setup I have in mind would be possible. For travel what I had in mind is something like this as carry on:

http://www.amazon.com/Delsey-Helium-Carry-On-Spinner-Trolley/dp/B0098IGAGI/re...

stuffed with this:

http://www.foambymail.com/PNPCR/pick-and-pluck-charcoal-foam.html

which is then carved out for the head, scope and camera. The rest goes into checkin.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: ManojK]
      #6298584 - 01/07/14 05:39 PM

I think this is a better case
http://www.amazon.com/Seahorse-SE-920F-Waterproof-Protective-Hardcase/dp/B001...
I just bought it and it's same quality as a pelican case.

rkayakr
sage

Reged: 10/27/10

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: andysea]
      #6298615 - 01/07/14 06:00 PM

Paul
I like the powerweight idea, but I thought that lead-acid batteries were not allowed in baggage. A search turns up contradictory results and - "check with your airline".
I was also pushing the 50 lb weight limit. I just snuck under with an a check in counter shuffle of a book from my bag to my pack.
The power supply issue is one thing I miss about not taking a SmartEQ with its built in battery pack. Previously I took it along with rechargeable AAs and a wall charger.
On the donation - the Southwest Florida Astronomy Society had been good enough to lend me a scope on a previous trip. I was glad to repay their kindness.
Bob

Edited by rkayakr (01/07/14 06:06 PM)

davebl

Reged: 09/09/07

Loc: Oregon
      #6299100 - 01/07/14 11:20 PM

Quote:

I like the powerweight idea, but I thought that lead-acid batteries were not allowed in baggage.

If I'm not mistaken, the battery in the Harbor Freight jump starter is a sealed lead acid battery.

Dave

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: davebl]
      #6299257 - 01/08/14 01:49 AM

I called TSA with the same question and did not get a definite answer. They said that I should check with the airline. I have sealed, non spillable, AGM batteries but I doubt that they would let me take them on the plane.

Pages: << 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | >> (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 64277

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics