•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tired of waiting! I need Eyepieces

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 William Mc

William Mc

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

I give up. After doing some reading when I got my Denk 2's, I decided To go with a set of 25mm Sterling Plossl eyepieces. Looked like a good choice for reasonable eyepieces a Decent FOV, and at a great price.

Well it's been months, and they have never come in stock, and I have yet to try my new Binos. Is there something else for about the same price, that will give the same performance per dollar? Should I give in and just get the 20MM version of these Sterlings?

#2 Messyone

Messyone

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:37 AM

Go cheap….but quite good. Agena Astro WA 12 17 and 20mm. Or AT paradigms or other clones even better. Or ES 16 20 24 pairs before ES puts up the prices!
JMO
Matt

#3 Messyone

Messyone

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:41 AM

Or Vixen NPL Plossls….really good.

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

If you are going to use them in the C11 you may want to stay with something in the 25mm to 26mm range. Any good quality eyepeice will give a fine result. Don't get hung up on people saying that this or that eyepiece is so much better. Differences in eyepeice performance tend to be quite subtle.

The problem in the C11 will be that the true field will still be less than what you can get in mono-vision, so you will find yourself wanting a wider field.

Also, a 20mm pair may simply give too much magnification to be useful in the C11. If you don't use 280x a lot, then you won't get much use from the high power position.

I have to say this too. The D21s really are the best possible eyepiece for the Denks. The field stop is perfectly matced to the apeture of the low power arm, so there is no vignetting, and the focal lenght is 21.6mm, so not terrible in terms of magnifiction even in the C11.

Then at least you would have one pair of eyepeices that

#5 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

Go cheap….but quite good. Agena Astro WA 12 17 and 20mm. Or AT paradigms or other clones even better. Or ES 16 20 24 pairs before ES puts up the prices!
JMO
Matt

I concur with the Agena 20mm SWA 65° at a mere $33 apiece. They are my favorites for planetary and double stars. ;) Mike

#6 aa6ww

aa6ww

Gemini

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:36 AM

Binoviewing becomes soooo addicting, its very very difficult to go back to single eye observing.

...Ralph

#7 faackanders2

faackanders2

Cosmos

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

I give up. After doing some reading when I got my Denk 2's, I decided To go with a set of 25mm Sterling Plossl eyepieces. Looked like a good choice for reasonable eyepieces a Decent FOV, and at a great price.

Well it's been months, and they have never come in stock, and I have yet to try my new Binos. Is there something else for about the same price, that will give the same performance per dollar? Should I give in and just get the 20MM version of these Sterlings?

24mm panoptics, or the lowest power 24mm 68-70AFOV 1.25" eyepieces you can get for widest TFOV.

#8 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

Well it's been months, and they have never come in stock, and I have yet to try my new Binos

Sorry you missed them as I think you would have been pleased. I ordered mine a year before I got my binoviewers in anticipation of a future purchase. Turned out to be one of my better decisions as I am truly pleased with the views.
As mentioned above there are many good and (perceived) better alternatives.
But, some day I would really like to try out a pair of D21's and 24 Pans just to see if the difference would have been worth the 7x cost.
BTW, the actual FOV of the 25 Sterlings is equivalant to that of the D21's. 25 with 58 degree AFOV vs. 21.6 with 65 degree AFOV. Both (I presume with the D21's)with a sharp field stop in the Binotron 27's.

Eric

#9 pftarch

pftarch

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

I swear by Edmunds 28 RKEs (with the boots ON) in my binoviewer, but it is definitely an acquired taste.

#10 blackhaz

blackhaz

Vanguard

• Vendors

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:52 AM

There's 28mm Edmund RKE and 25mm Fujiyama HD-OR which should be good eyepieces for the binoviewer. I've got a pair of RKE's (21.5mm) yesterday and they appear to be very well made. I think for that price they should be a very interesting eyepieces in any collection. I like orthoscopic eyepieces better than Plossls in the binoviewer mode - for some reason orthoscopic eyepieces produce less flaring in my telescope and the eye relief is great.

#11 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:29 AM

You could get a used pair of Televue Plossls, around $100. For the amount of money you have invested so far, it's a drop in the bucket.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics