•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AVX and Celestron StarSense

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

Hi All,

Read the big dude thread on the Celestron StarSence. However, I had more of a process question. Again, with respect to visual observing,When using the AVX for visual, does the StarSence do all that is necesary for alignment? With the AVX and StarSense are there any extra steps over using StatSense on an ALT-AZ mount?

Thanks
Dan

#2 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

IMHO and in respect a StarSence is an accessory that isn't worth the cost because using the HC aligning the telescope for either visual or AP is faster.

#3 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

There is no advantage to having a Starsense unless you do not use any type of finder scope or perhaps have better things to do for 3 minutes. I will say the hand controller is nice though. Scroll speed through the object database is much faster. I like having the two lines of information too. That having been said, a careful 2 star plus 4 calibration using the NexStar+ HC the AVX comes with is actually more accurate or at the worst AS accurate. Also currently the ASPA is broken.

#4 OneDaveT

OneDaveT

Ranger 4

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hi All,
Again, with respect to visual observing,When using the AVX for visual, does the StarSence do all that is necesary for alignment?

There is nothing additional you need to do for visual. In fact, polar alignment and level just need to be approximate. 3 minutes and you're ready or visual. Regardless of how fast some claim to do 2+4 alignments, it has increased my gumption for casual work night backyard viewing. GOTOs in my experience are consistently in field of view. Software bugs aside, I think it is one of the most useful add ons.

#5 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

from my understanding, with the camera (SSA) it can pick out stars that are not visable enough to the eye and perform alignment when is very hard to do visually?? And am aware it has kinks, but somw apps work great and others are still being tweeked,,, Join team celestron and ask there, Kasey

#6 Robert York

Robert York

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

Maybe others are super-experts, but it would take me 30 minutes to align my scope and mount properly, before I got the SSA. I timed it. Often. All the fiddling to get stars dead on the crosshairs and all that *BLEEP*. It was so frustrating for me, I wouldn't go out some nights because I didn't want to mess with that.

The SSA is done in 3 minutes and it's perfect every time. I'm sorry, with short summer nights and all the problems I have sleeping at it is, the 30 minutes a night I save was easily worth the $330.

No, it can't do ASPA yet, which annoys me to no end, since I can't see Polaris, and the issues with my CGEM is another problem all together. But the SSA is the best money I've spent for astronomy gear hands down, for me.

However, I hate finding stars and fiddling with a fickle mount and buttons for half an hour. I want to get up and started with my imaging. I want a mount and scope I can toss on the ground, hit a button, and it polar aligns itself, orients itself, and starts guiding itself, then I just give it a target. But that's a ways off. Some people really enjoy the fiddling around part. It's all about what you enjoy. And don't enjoy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics