Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

AVX and Celestron StarSense new
      #6350703 - 02/02/14 08:05 AM

Hi All,

Read the big dude thread on the Celestron StarSence. However, I had more of a process question. Again, with respect to visual observing,When using the AVX for visual, does the StarSence do all that is necesary for alignment? With the AVX and StarSense are there any extra steps over using StatSense on an ALT-AZ mount?

Thanks
Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mr Greybush
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/13

Loc: Virginia
Re: AVX and Celestron StarSense new [Re: gaz-in]
      #6350781 - 02/02/14 09:21 AM

IMHO and in respect a StarSence is an accessory that isn't worth the cost because using the HC aligning the telescope for either visual or AP is faster.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: AVX and Celestron StarSense new [Re: Mr Greybush]
      #6351260 - 02/02/14 01:34 PM

There is no advantage to having a Starsense unless you do not use any type of finder scope or perhaps have better things to do for 3 minutes. I will say the hand controller is nice though. Scroll speed through the object database is much faster. I like having the two lines of information too. That having been said, a careful 2 star plus 4 calibration using the NexStar+ HC the AVX comes with is actually more accurate or at the worst AS accurate. Also currently the ASPA is broken.

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
Re: AVX and Celestron StarSense new [Re: gaz-in]
      #6351319 - 02/02/14 02:11 PM

Quote:

Hi All,
Again, with respect to visual observing,When using the AVX for visual, does the StarSence do all that is necesary for alignment?

There is nothing additional you need to do for visual. In fact, polar alignment and level just need to be approximate. 3 minutes and you're ready or visual. Regardless of how fast some claim to do 2+4 alignments, it has increased my gumption for casual work night backyard viewing. GOTOs in my experience are consistently in field of view. Software bugs aside, I think it is one of the most useful add ons.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: AVX and Celestron StarSense [Re: OneDaveT]
      #6351435 - 02/02/14 03:02 PM

from my understanding, with the camera (SSA) it can pick out stars that are not visable enough to the eye and perform alignment when is very hard to do visually?? And am aware it has kinks, but somw apps work great and others are still being tweeked,,, Join team celestron and ask there, Kasey

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 250

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics