•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First AP attempt with new mount - M81

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Destin1701

Destin1701

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

The skies finally cleared up and I gave the new AVX mount a whirl. This was my first attempt at polar alignment and long(er) exposure. I'd intended to capture at least 1hr of exposure time (unguided) but ended up with only 30min or so as I screwed up and left the camera on JPEG mode :foreheadslap: (seems to be a right of passage after perusing the threads!). Despite the formatting issue I took a stab at processing anyway:
30 x 60sec subs (unguided and light polluted), 20 x Darks, 20 x Flats, 20 x Bias - processed in Nebulosity. I'm pretty pleased with the result given all of the setbacks. I'd welcome any advice and comments.

https://www.dropbox....dplu/aszhHkYzrN

Two specific questions though:

1) I'm wondering if I'm getting the most out of my processing. I don't have access to PS (yet) and I'm curious to get opinions on whether this is a dispensable/replaceable piece of software for post processing. Not sure that I want to make the investment, wondering if there are alternatives or if PS functions really make that huge a difference.

2) My next purchase will be an auto guider. My back yard is heavily light polluted from Boston and I'll likely not breach 60 sec subs without blowout anyway so I'm mainly planning to use the guider at a dark sky site. Since I'm getting 60 sec subs easily unguided, what is the difference between the quality/detail in a 60 x 60sec stack unguided vs. a 12 x 300sec stack guided?

#2 SergeC

SergeC

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

Congrats on the new mount, and nice first light.

You've already identified some of your issues, so I'll just say you got nice round stars and your collimation looks spot on.

PS ins't necessary. StarTools is inexpensive and powerful, and you can evaluate it before buying. Ivo (the developer) frequently posts here to help out users. Another option is PixInsight, if a little more expensive (but not approaching PS territory). Madratter has written a comprehensive tutorial describing his workflows with it. Judging by the quality of his images I'd say it's a darn fine and powerful tool.

A few things you can do in Nebulosity is to apply a DDP stretch (Image->Digital Development (DDP)) with additional tweaking using Image-Curves. While not as powerful as some of the stretching functions in other packages, they do work. Auto Color Balance is another useful tool in Neb, as are the Sharpen and Noise Reduction functions. Again, while not as powerful as those in other programs, they can still be useful.

Again, congrats and nice job!

Edited to add: Don't limit yourself just yet on autoguided exposures until you try it out. An LP filter meant for imaging such as the Astronomik or Hutech IDAS can work wonders. With no moon, I can go as long as 10min subs from my orange zone back yard.

#3 Destin1701

Destin1701

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Thanks Serge, I'll check those functions out in Neb. I had discovered Star Tools last night, I'll give the demo a try.

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Voyager 1

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

Congrats on the new mount, and nice first light.

You've already identified some of your issues, so I'll just say you got nice round stars and your collimation looks spot on.

PS ins't necessary. StarTools is inexpensive and powerful, and you can evaluate it before buying. Ivo (the developer) frequently posts here to help out users. Another option is PixInsight, if a little more expensive (but not approaching PS territory). Madratter has written a comprehensive tutorial describing his workflows with it. Judging by the quality of his images I'd say it's a darn fine and powerful tool.

A few things you can do in Nebulosity is to apply a DDP stretch (Image->Digital Development (DDP)) with additional tweaking using Image-Curves. While not as powerful as some of the stretching functions in other packages, they do work. Auto Color Balance is another useful tool in Neb, as are the Sharpen and Noise Reduction functions. Again, while not as powerful as those in other programs, they can still be useful.

Again, congrats and nice job!

Edited to add: Don't limit yourself just yet on autoguided exposures until you try it out. An LP filter meant for imaging such as the Astronomik or Hutech IDAS can work wonders. With no moon, I can go as long as 10min subs from my orange zone back yard.

Get an astrobin account so you can share things easier :). Serge is 100% on, Startools for the win on price and functionality.

#5 Madratter

Madratter

Hubble

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

I own and use Photoshop, PixInsight, and StarTools. All three have their strong and weak points. I think StarTools is a terrific value for the money. Even if you later get PI or PS you still may find yourself using it for some of its functionality.

One thing PI does have over StarTools or Photoshop is excellent image calibration and stacking.

#6 raf1

raf1

Apollo

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

I own and use Photoshop, PixInsight, and StarTools. All three have there strong and weak points. I think StarTools is a terrific value for the money. Even if you later get PI or PS you still may find yourself using it for some of its functionality.

Ditto. Sam, great images considering equipment and image scale. Keep it up.

CS, Ron

#7 Destin1701

Destin1701

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the addition Serge, I had assumed that my back yard would be a blowout beyond 60 sec or so. I'm not so familiar with LP filters but had wondered if this might be an option. What size/type of filter would I use to attach to the camera? Where in the imaging train would this go? I'm doing prime focus with a t-ring/t adapter w/ 6.3 reducer.

#8 SergeC

SergeC

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the addition Serge, I had assumed that my back yard would be a blowout beyond 60 sec or so. I'm not so familiar with LP filters but had wondered if this might be an option. What size/type of filter would I use to attach to the camera? Where in the imaging train would this go? I'm doing prime focus with a t-ring/t adapter w/ 6.3 reducer.

Here you go. LP filters will give a bluish cast, but Nebulosity's Auto Color Balance routine does a good job of restoring proper color.

Disclaimer - I don't use this particular filter I use another one (an old Lumicon deep sky) as I shoot with a CCD. But, many DSLR folks here use the Astronomik clip in and are happy with it.

Aside from the color cast, some people don't like to use an LP filter when shooting galaxies, since these filters block some of the light inherent to such targets. I still use mine when I shoot galaxies, as I've tried without and the my light pollution is just too much. I just shoot longer subs and play around with some color tricks in post.

#9 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

I'd intended to capture at least 1hr of exposure time (unguided) but ended up with only 30min or so as I screwed up and left the camera on JPEG mode

I think you can convert those JPEG files to TIF files and use them in your stacking program. I know I can in Images Plus anyway...but I'm not sure about Nebulosity.

Patrick

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics