•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon NAV-5SW eyepiece?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Anyone use these? Quality compared to televue, pentax, tak LE?

#2 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

I have the 7mm. It's pretty nice, but nothing superior to more available alternatives like the Pentax XW or Delos.

- Jim

#3 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Its a lot smaller isn't it?

#4 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

It's a bit smaller, but not materially so. Perhaps the upper housing is 15% smaller in diameter than an XW. It's shorter than a given focal length Delos, for sure. But optically it's not magic; just another reasonably well corrected long eye relief super-wide design.

Were I to do it over again, I wouldn't invest the time, effort in resources in seeking it out over an XW, Delos or even LVW.

Regards,

Jim

#5 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Aurora

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

I feel the same way as Jim.

I would look for Delos 4.5/XW 5 instead of Nikon NAV SW 5 if you are looking for something 5 in the U.S. If you are really looking for compact 5mm 70-ish AFOV, good eye relief, Nikon NAV SW 5 is a choice, I think.

Here is photo for size comparison. I used Takahashi LE 5 most among near 5mm in cyclops mode. Next is Ethos SX 4.7.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

And Nikon NAV family photo:
Posted Image

Tammy

#6 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:37 AM

Very helpful. Conditions rarely allow using this level of magnification but I want one when they do. I notice you have all the Nikons Tammy, do you feel they are worthwhile?

#7 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Any idea what the customs charge would be on one of these?

#8 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Aurora

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

Hi Steve,

I bought Nikon NAV SW 17.5, 14, and 7 for binoculars since XW was bit too bulky. Delos wasn't out when I bought Nikon NAV SW. Specially 17.5 and 14 are worthwhile since Delos 17.3 and 14 don't come to focus to infinity with my binoculars. Another good thing about NAV SW is that they are nearly par-focal.

I often use Takahashi eyepiece turret when I observe planets/lunar in cyclops mode.
It goes like this with narrow AFOV eyepieces:

Posted Image

Once in a while I appreciate larger AFOV then it could go like this crazy setup:
I found it unusable to due to bulk and weight.
Posted Image

With Nikon NAV SW, it is much more practical and useful. Yes, it is worthwhile :)

Posted Image

Tammy

#9 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

I looked at $20 rip-off tax, I mean custom charge for a $315 14mm sw .

#10 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

That makes a lot of sense; I suspect Nikon had bino-viewers in mind when penning the NAV-SW design; relative compactness and parfocal.

They'd rather sell 2 units per focal length per user, than one.

Regards,

Jim

#11 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Tammy, how do you feel the NAV-HWs stack up to Ethoses? I have been tempted a few times to give an HW a test flight.

Regards,

Jim

#12 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

I have the 17mm NAV, purchased from Japan, and it is wonderful because it fits seamlessly into the Pentax collection that I have. I bought it for the specific purpose of filling the gap between 14mm and 20mm in the XW series.

To say that it is *as good as* the rest of the XW collection is no mean compliment. But, it is not *better*, and as others have indicated the XWs are more readily available.

I also spent extended time with the Delos 17 and concluded that it too is excellent. Were it not for my XWs I would probably be a Delos man. I prefer the ergonomic features (removable ring, twist adjustment for height) of the XWs.

I have not been a fan of Naglers, Ethos, or Radians, but I think TV did something real top notch with the Delos line.

One thing to consider in the 5mm category is the XO. Although the widefield should be your *first* choice (XW or Delos equivalent) the 5mm XO is among the better of the "tiny glass" options I've seen, and I prefer it to my ZAO tiny glass.

I should point out that often times on astromart you can get XL series Pentax at a sharp discount relative to the other options we've mentioned. An XL 5 (I think it might be 5.2) is one of the few places where you can cut corners financially and still come out with a terrific piece of glass.

Greg N

#13 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Sorry, no idea. I bought them when they first came out, at least 6 months or more before the first Delos was even announced, directly from Kokusai Kohki. I don't recall there being any duty or tax but it was about 5 years ago and I quite honestly don't bother to remember such details.

There was no tariff fee in my case. As I recall there was a hefty paypal charge.

Greg N

#14 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:50 PM

Yes, the XL is a 5.2. I have one. It's only fault is that it is not good at controlling stray light. A bright Moon just outside the field throws glare into the view. I learned this watching lunar occultations. My 7mm XL had the same issue. My Nagler did not. I've been meaning to check my 7mm XW.

Clear skies, Alan

#15 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Aurora

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

Tammy, how do you feel the NAV-HWs stack up to Ethoses? I have been tempted a few times to give an HW a test flight.

Hi Jim,

Practically, Nikon NAV HW 17/12.5 are as good as Ethos 17/13.

When you do nitpicking, you can find something to mention but it is nitpicking IMHO :)

I think Nikon NAV HW has a little better lateral color control than Ethos and
I feel easier and more relaxed viewing experience in general than Ethos.

When I observed globular with 18" f/4.5 + Paracorr, I found Nikon NAV HW 17 showed tighter stars in M13 than Ethos 17. Up to 60% of FOV, there was very little difference but beyond 60%, Nikon NAV HW 17 showed lesser artifacts than Ethos 17 toward edge.

What I found it interesting was that before we put Paracorr in, I saw very little difference. After Paracorr in, Nikon NAV HW 17 showed much improved star images than Ethos 17. Paracorr may have been better position for Nikon but I don't know for sure since it wasn't my scope.

For test-flight, I would recommend Nikon NAV HW 17 (and EiC-14).

Tammy

#16 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

I see that APM has the 17.5 SW for $672 usd export
and
the 5mm SWfor $627 usd export
I use DHL express ( which is first class mail when it get to the US) and have never had a customs charge.
Rex

#17 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

Ebay has them for much less. $20 shipping to USA.

#18 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

Ebay has them for much less. $20 shipping to USA.

No offense intended to the poster and speaking only regarding the quality of the venders:
CN really needs a " hamburger vs steak " gremlin.
Rex :lol:

#19 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

Rex,
Assuming the product is identical, what would one vendor add to the equation at a much higher price that the other vendor would not provide? Curiosity more than anything else prompts the question. I do know that vendors can add value through customer service or service differentiation, but I am unable to see how that applies in this circumstance.

#20 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

I guess it comes down to the vender's return policy if there is a problem and how well they honor that policy.
Rex

#21 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

I guess it comes down to the vender's return policy if there is a problem and how well they honor that policy.
Rex

Thanks Rex!

#22 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

You shouldn't ought to talk bad about APM like that. :whistle:

- Jim

#23 tomcody

tomcody

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

You shouldn't ought to talk bad about APM like that. :whistle:

- Jim

No Jim, I am speaking well of them, some of the best customer support I have ever had. APM = steak, Ebay = hamburger, ( or dead horse burger)
:beat:

#24 jag32

jag32

Apollo

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:09 PM

Tammy,

Do the Nikon NAV-SW eyepieces "twist" to adjust eye relief similar to other eye pieces?  I see in the photos that the Nikon NAV-SW17.5 appears to have a "raised" eye cup whereas the other eye cups are flush with the lenses -- is that a result of adjusting the eye relief through a twist mechanism or are they fixed?

#25 slack

slack

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

Tammy,

Do the Nikon NAV-SW eyepieces "twist" to adjust eye relief similar to other eye pieces?  I see in the photos that the Nikon NAV-SW17.5 appears to have a "raised" eye cup whereas the other eye cups are flush with the lenses -- is that a result of adjusting the eye relief through a twist mechanism or are they fixed?

I'm not Tammy, but you just started a new thread and asked about raising the eyecup, which I answered there. With regard to your observation about the 17.5mm... The reason it appears to have the eyecup raised is because the eye lens is recessed with they eyecup at its lowest position, due to its eye relief being 26mm. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics