•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A high observation post sure would be nice.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 MeridianStarGazer

MeridianStarGazer

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Instead of looking out a small hole at the sections of the sky without street lights, and hoping none of that light gets into the observatory, it would be nice to be on a platform that is higher than all the street lights. I know it would never be approved by a home owners association. But if you are higher than the street lights, none of that light will hit any part of the deck. If you are lower than them and erect walls, the opposite wall will always get some of the indirect lighting. I wonder how dark the sky would look in a Bortle orange zone if I were 30 feet up in the air, laying on my back on a platform. No need to drive anywhere. Maybe if I paint it black and raise it up and take it down. I can dream, can't I?

#2 rkayakr

rkayakr

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

Although your HOA may have fits about an observatory tower, or a ground based observatory or any outbuilding, you may be able add a roof top observatory without running into problems.

#3 UncleMossy

UncleMossy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

I observe from a third floor deck with street lights nearby and being up above them makes a huge difference.
Maybe you could do a scissor lift type of thing and lower it during the day to keep your HOA happy.

Jim

#4 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

Ahahahahaha.

You are asking about the same question as me. I'm also looking for a 36' high plateform. But seems it's very expansive and lot of things to consider.

You have probably already had a look at my thread.

http://www.cloudynig...6612395/page...

Andre.

#5 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

The concept is interesting, the execution daunting.

#6 Raginar

Raginar

Voyager 1

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

You can manage street lights. You couldn't take out enough of them to effect your skies anyways :).

Use one of those cool observing hoods. Build some movable walls or a ROR observatory.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics