•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi Mewlon 210 Review

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 dbs

dbs

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:08 AM

Hi guys,

just to check....can the mewlon 210 use any of those celestron/meade focal reducers such as the f/6.3 and the f/3.3 ? Can these focal reducers screw in directly to the mewlon 201?

Thanks

#27 nicklane1

nicklane1

Mariner 2

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Well done.
There is so much info in your review, yet it still reads like an engaging novel.

My next scope will be Mewlon.

#28 S Gazer

S Gazer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Minneapolis

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

Very nicely written composition. The personality of the author comes through with rhythm and
uninhibitedness without becoming irritating.

Reviews such as these are very helpful in understanding the huge amount of choices we now have, and the trade-offs between those choices.

A scope like this minus the diffraction artifacts off the spider vanes would be close to optimal for me :)

I'll have to seriously consider getting a binoviewer after reading such strong argument for it.

Excellent review.

#29 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Aficionado

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

I just read this again over 3 years later (after having completely forgotten how much I enjoyed reading it when it was first posted).  Thanks again for taking the time to create such a well-written, informative article! :like:

• Brian Palmer likes this

#30 Brian Palmer

Brian Palmer

Vostok 1

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

If anyone knows where to get one of those mewlon to SCT adapters mentioned let me know. Teleskop no longer has them. 

#31 dr.who  Happy Birthday!

dr.who

James Webb Space Telescope

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:23 PM

You can try Starbase in Japan. They may have it. Also Texas Nautical Repair aka Takahashi USA may have it. Lastly if you are trying to make Binoviewers work with it I have used my TV's on it. Using a 1 1/2" diagonal I was just shy of enough in focus to focus without a GPC. My guess is that with a 1.2x GPC you would be able to do it.

#32 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Temple, New Hampshire

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:18 PM

Great review, thanks for putting so much time and thought into it.

My only experience with Mewlon's was my neighbor's Mewlon 300... Had some of my best Jupiter views EVER on it, including transits of Jovian moons that were simply mesmerizing...

(this on a rare night of good seeing here in New England).

My C11 couldn't hold a candle to it.

But the *price* of the M300 is just cray-cray-crazy (for me anyways).

• Scott in NC likes this

#33 Adien

Adien

Explorer 1

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:50 AM

I recently purchased my Mewlon 210 because of this article (waited a 5 agonizing months). I live in miami with light polluted skies so viewing planets and the moon are at the top of my list. This article is very accurate. My scope lives outside in my backyard. I cover it up with telegizmo 360 and several layers towels and a contractor bag underneath to ensure it’s well protected from rain and humidity. This set up is perfect bc the scope is always acclimated so I can view at a moments notice. Collimation is easy but requires patience and very minor twisting of screws, alternating 1/8th turns and checking the view. This telescope is like an oven vs a microwave, requiring patience to get the most out of it. So far I can get 300x, binoviewer, on the moon and Mars no problem on most nights, 450x every other night (I can’t wait for Saturn and Jupiter to come back around). The moon details are pretty incredible and mind boggling at these highly magnifications (Mars is long gone but I’ll be ready for in 2022). M13 Pinpoint stars are detectable from my light polluted location! 

I compliment this scope with a 100mm binoscope (most versatile instrument I own). Both the binoscope and the Mewlon have laser pointers (this will cut your object location time and frustration by 10 fold as long as you’re not interfering with anyone else’s views). 

So far, the Mewlon really seems to be a keeper and I can’t wait for those summer nights with steady atmosphere. The atmosphere is the greatest factor limiting the view given how much this scope can magnify. In my estimation, this scope is compatible to a 7” apo in terms of magnification. 

oh I did forget to mention that the Mewlon is dew proof. As long as you realize that you won’t get any views wider than 40 arc minutes, MUST allow acclimation, and a bit of mirror flop. You’ll be happy knowing you have an excellent instrument at a very good price. Yes it’s worth the price...Mewlon’s sharp views cannot be compared with SCTs (let’s not even go there).

Edited by Adien, 01 March 2021 - 12:52 AM.

• Mattimac likes this

#34 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:19 AM

Congrats on your purchase!  I've had one for several years and love it . . . one it cools down.  I do wish I could attach a RACI.  And I still have to make one final tweak to the collimation to get it perfect but I need much better conditions than we usually have here in CT to do that.  I'm always surprised by the contrast it shows on globulars.  

#35 mgn

mgn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 10 March 2021 - 04:44 PM

I am in precisely the same position as Tim, I have an Intes Micro MN86 which is frankly amazing, but it is a lumbersome beast and I am getting old. Someone has suggested a Mewlon 210 and this has been a very helpful article, thank you for writing this. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics