•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jason Empire Model 653 Celestial

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 terrapin

terrapin

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

Yesterday I finally took the plunge into the world of vintage refractors (I blame all of you!) and purchased a Jason Empire Model 653 Celestial. If anyone has any information about this model, I'd appreciate hearing about it. 60mm, 700mm FL, alt-az mount, on a dark-wood tripod. It has the Tansutzu diamond-Z marking. The objective is nearly pristine (a few specks of dust only). Truly a beautiful telescope in excellent condition.

An Empire Model 653 Universe sold last week on ebay (same specs and appearance as mine), but besides that, literally the only reference I could find anywhere about the 653 is a single tangential sentence in an Esquire article, mentioning that the model had been sold in 1970 (and also calling it the "Universe").

The scope I bought came with five .965 eyepieces: a 20mm Tele-Science "wide field", an H 15mm (no brand or origin markings), an H 12.5mm (with a diamond Z), an HM 8mm (is that Huygen Modified?), and an unmarked SR 4mm.

There are two diagonals -- a lightweight plastic one and a heavier, metal one with sort of a rough finish (both just marked "Japan"). Daytime testing revealed that the metal one seemed to deliver brighter images. Also a 2x Celestron short barlow, and 1.5x Celestron erecting EP.

First Light:

I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, and after a four-hour round trip to pick up the scope, I almost didn't have the energy to take it out. And it was partially cloudy. But of course I couldn't wait.

The first and obvious choice of targets was Saturn. I pointed the scope up and dropped in the 20mm. Nice image, but nothing notable. I could see Titan clearly. So I tried the 15mm, and my heart sank a bit. Saturn's disk was fuzzy and it didn't seem possible to bring it into sharp focus. But, I thought, maybe it's just the eyepiece. So I switched it for the 12.5mm Tanzutsu and, holding my breath, brought it into focus...at that point, I'm sure my neighbors heard my "Holy ----!" It really was an involuntary gasp. The sharpness of the image really shocked me. Yes, shocked. Granted, I've been observing for a while only through fast scopes, but this just looked fantastic. I wasn't seeing detail like through my 8-inch dob, but Saturn had that very stark, three-dimensional appearance, like you really know you're looking at a planet...not something that I take for granted. I was very happy. I decided to check out the 12.5mm in the barlow, but quickly discovered that the tube wouldn't rack in far enough to bring to focus (with the barlow and any of the eyepieces). I hadn't brought out the erecting tube, so I wasn't able to test that. So then I tried the 8mm and found that I was still very happy. Saturn looked awesome. Not quite as crisp as the 12.5, but still very nice, with a hint of the ring shadow, and tilting of the rings evident. Even the 4mm delivered a few pretty glimpses, but I quickly switch back to the 12.5 and just enjoyed watching the ringed planet drift across the EP field.

I looked up and it was getting very cloudy, but I decided to try for a couple more easy targets. I swung around to Mizar and Alcor with the 20mm -- Mizar A & B were very nicely split at low magnification. With the 12.5mm, I gasped again. Mizar B was an absolute pin point. "A" sparkled a bit, but the pair was stunning and crisp.

Finally, I moved the scope over to Cor Caroli. Again, beautiful! I couldn't really see the reddish color in the secondary that my 8-inch reveals, but I was still impressed. The Model 653 had managed to exceed my very high expectations. I leaned back from the eyepiece and looked at my new telescope sparkling in the light of my a neighbor's (unfortunate) porchlight, and marveled at what a little 60mm objective can do.

Again, I'd love to find out more about this model if anyone's familiar with it.

I've attached the photo the previous owner took. He'd only owned the telescope for a year and didn't know anything about its origin.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3069262-empire 653.jpg

#2 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

Howdy, Terrapin
Welcome to the classics loonybin.
That is a terrific little scope.I'm sure someone here has more information on it!

#3 terrapin

terrapin

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

Thanks, Siderea!

Oh, I forgot to mention that it still even has the little green Japan Telescopes Inspection Institute sticker on it. It passed. ;)

#4 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:52 AM

That's going to be a nice telescope! I have the Tasco version, a 59T 60/700 with Tanzutsu optics. Mine has excellent optics and I even liked the stock eyepieces better than what usually came with these telescopes. You might want to consider getting a hybrid diagonal (.965 to 1.25") from Orion or Scope Stuff so you can use standard plossls and orthoscopics with this scope. At F11 it has an excellent wide field with a low power eyepiece.

Seeing your post I decided to haul it out for a quick look on Jupiter this morning. At 116x I could begin to see some swirling in the equatorial bands and clouds in the southern hemisphere. All this in spite of the fact that dawn was breaking. (I hate it when dawn breaks, it takes all day to fix it. :grin:) I also viewed Venus. Something about this planet that makes it pretty even though it's nothing but a silver sliver. At 116x the points of the crescent were so sharp I pricked my finger! :lol:

#5 armchairal

armchairal

Ranger 4

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

I also have a Jason it's a Mercury 500 60mm F/800 diamond-Z that I haven't tried out yet,, but my Jason Discoverer 313 454 power 60mm F/910 circle-T puts up some pretty nice views. The getting a hybrid diagonal that David E said is the way to go,,, or this .965 to 1.25" EP adapter,,, I see one on classifieds.
Al

#6 terrapin

terrapin

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

I actually have one of the hybrid diagonals and will try it out with the Jason soon. I wanted to check the scope out with some of the original EPs and diagonals, though, before I start experimenting with the set-up.

I'm still really curious if anyone has a good line on when the 653 was sold. Does 1970 sound right? And why do I find other contemporaneous Jason models mentioned all over the place online -- Discoverer, Constellation, Mercury -- but virtually nothing on the Universe or Celestial. I've searched pretty thoroughly...I don't think they've ever been mentioned in this forum. Has anyone here heard of these specific models before? :question:

#7 desertrefugee

desertrefugee

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

You know, the funny thing about these old Jasons is that they were under-appreciated in their day. At least they were by me.

Years ago after just getting married (many years), my dear father gave me a Jason 306S Explorer one Christmas. Somewhere in the early 80s. It replaced the nice 6" reflector stolen from my college balcony. I hated it. It was NOT a 6" reflector and I barely used it. Oh, I viewed the Moon and bright planets quite a few times, but it never really earned my respect.

Until recently. As it happens, I still have it and began acquiring a few other old refractors. I eventually began direct, side-by-side comparisons with many of them and found the optics on that old Jason (also Tanzutsu) to be among the best of the bunch.

Who knew?

#8 terrapin

terrapin

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:24 AM

A little addendum to my report on the Jason: I was skeptical that I could even see the Ring Nebula with a 60mm refractor in red skies, but it jumped right out tonight. Wow.

I had been checking out a bunch of doubles and was looking at Sheliak, when I decided to just let the field drift at 56x. And there was that little white patch as clear as could be. I couldn't make out any darkening in the middle, but I was still very impressed...the first time I've ever viewed the Ring with so little aperture.

I'd like to think that this a really fantastic telescope, but maybe I'm just discovering the joy of observing through a 60mm refractor.

:refractor: :tonofbricks:

#9 David E

David E

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:11 AM

Too bad the Pleiades are gone for the season, they look really nice in a scope like yours. I might try for some of the open clusters in Auriga right now, and catch the rich star fields around Cassiopeia later in the year. If you're willing to get up around 4am or so, run that scope through Sagittarius, Scorpius and Aquilla. :D

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics