•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Focus distance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 rfic1

rfic1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

With a f/8 telescope how much change in focus travel would there be focusing a object at 100 yards vs infinity. Is there a formula?

#2 Nils Olof Carlin

Nils Olof Carlin

Vanguard

• In Memoriam

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:09 AM

call the focal length f, the outward travel (from infinity position d, the distance to the object a.
Simple lens formula : 1/f=1/(f+d) + 1/a, and if d is small compared to f (a is much greater than f):
d~(f^2)/a

if f=30 in, and a=3600 in, then the out-focus is d=1/4 in.

Nils Olof

#3 rfic1

rfic1

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

Thanks Nils,
It ended up being close to a inch. I had just completed my 8" f/8 OTA utilizing a low profile focuser that only has 1" of focus travel. After assembly I tried it out but when focusing on tree's about 100 yards away I needed a extra 1" of out focuser travel to achieve focus. I was not to happy needing a extension tube. I confirmed that my measurements for mirror cell,secondary and focuser placement were correct. Last night I was able to achieve focus on stars without the adapter so all is well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics