•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help identifying an Astro Optical S5, Tasco 7T

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:27 AM

So I found this on Craigslist the other week and did a little research on it. It looks like an Astro Optical S5, but is there a way to tell who the actual retailer was? This telescope used to belong to the Physics Department of Central Washington University. Looks like some bored student picked off the glued on tag from the focuser. It could be a Tasco 7T but is there really a way to tell?

Also, is there a way to date it? It has a mount base that can't be rotated in azimuth and a a glued on tag like the older scopes, but it doesn't have the plastic knobs that I usually see on these. The lens cell was built by Danchyka with a serial # of NO.39970 which is lower than most of the ones I've seen on the posts here. Can an approximate age be determined by this?

Except for the scratches on the tube and dust cap, it cleaned up pretty nicely. No finder scope on this one though. Bummer.

One last thing, it had a white spot on the inside of the lenses that I suppose was mold? It totally cleaned off the front element and almost all of it came off the rear element but not all. You can see a faint white line in the middle of the lens. I suppose it won't affect the viewing much but is there a way to get it completely cleaned off? I used a mixture of alcohol, distilled water and hydrogen peroxide. I didn't rub it too hard as I don't know how much a lens can take without getting damaged.

Thanks,

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• 6401185-VE0_3670.JPG

#2 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

The other side

Attached Thumbnails

• 6401186-VE0_3671.JPG

#3 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

The mount

Attached Thumbnails

• 6401188-VE0_3663.JPG

#4 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:29 AM

Front of the mount

Attached Thumbnails

• 6401190-VE0_3672.JPG

#5 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:30 AM

Focuser

Attached Thumbnails

• 6401191-VE0_3616.JPG

#6 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

Lens

Attached Thumbnails

• 6401194-VE0_3770.JPG

#7 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

Your scope looks like either a Tasco 7T or a Space Scope, but probably the former, as I don't recall seeing any Space Scopes with metal knobs. The maker was Astro Optical Ind. Co. The serial number on the lens cell doesn't seem to have any direct correlation to the actual age of the scope except in general terms. I have three of these scopes - one Astro Optical #11925, a Tasco 7T #22318 which I can reliably date to September 9, 1957, and a Space Scope. From the look of your scope, I'd guess it's from 1959, possibly 1958. In any case, it's a fine scope and you will enjoy the views.

#8 madeline

madeline

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

Mike, nice find. Charlie knows what he is talking about. The 7T is not a common scope to find.

#9 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Charlie,

How are the optics on your scopes? It's been clowdy here in Portland since I bought it so I haven't had a chance to look through it. I've read some people like the Danchyka lenses and others advise to stay away from them.

Thanks,

Mike

#10 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

The optics on the S-5 and Tasco are superb. The Space Scope had some astigmatism. None of them have Danchyka labeled cells. I had a scope with the Danchyka label, but I don't recall what scope it was. Perhaps I replaced the objective on the Space Scope.

#11 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

Your scope looks like either a Tasco 7T or a Space Scope, but probably the former, as I don't recall seeing any Space Scopes with metal knobs. The maker was Astro Optical Ind. Co. The serial number on the lens cell doesn't seem to have any direct correlation to the actual age of the scope except in general terms. I have three of these scopes - one Astro Optical #11925, a Tasco 7T #22318 which I can reliably date to September 9, 1957, and a Space Scope. From the look of your scope, I'd guess it's from 1959, possibly 1958. In any case, it's a fine scope and you will enjoy the views.

Hello MikeRam and Charlie, I had seen you scope on CL and had asked the seller to send me a photo of what turned out to be the missing ID tag on the focuser. My initial guess was a Space Scope Research Optical 60mm x 910mm. But there are other brands of imported scopes from Japan during this time period that look very similar to the Space Scope models, for example, Peer Scope is one that comes to mind.

After looking over my documentation for the early Tasco 7T scopes which all have the black crinkle finish along with the Space Scope black crinkle finish models and also Charlie's S5 black crinkle finish scope, I still believe my initial guess could be correct.

This is based on the following details that I've noticed on each brand of scope:

(1) The most obvious and maybe most important detail to me is that only the Astro Optical S5 and the Tasco 7T scopes have the two adjustment set screws above and below the model name tag on the focuser housing. All of the Space Scope models do not have the adjusting set screws.

(2) These Astro Optical S5 and the Tasco 7T scopes all have the gray plastic knobs on the focusers and the RA/DEC slow motion knobs. The Space Scope models have either all plastic knobs or they can also have all metal knobs as shown in MikeRam's photos.

(3) Based on the sample of scopes I've have documented for these particular models, the Tasco and Astro Optical do not have the engraved magnification on the eyepieces. The first Tasco models having the magnification engraved on them are the volcano top style of eyepieces. My Tasco 304 Power dated May 1959 is the earliest example of this model I've seen so far with the magnification engraved.

All the Space Scope models seem to have the magnification engraved on the tops of the eyepieces for the black crinkle mounted scopes.

(4) Looking at the 0.965 visual backs supplied with these models, only the Space Scopes seem to have a version that uses two thumb screws to secure the eyepiece. All the Tasco models that I've seen on these models have either one thumb screw or use a friction fit using a saw cut.

(5) With respect to the engraved lens cells, the Astro Optical, Tasco and Space Scope models can have the word "Danchyka" engraved on them, but also many do not. In some cases, the scopes with the lower serial numbers on the focusers appear to have higher serial numbers on the engraved lens cell, an inverse correlation if you will.

As always, if someone has one of these scope that contradicts my documentation, please let me know as I can only speak from the samples that I've documented.

Stephen

#12 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

Stephen,

Wow! What a wealth of information. I'm going to post some pictures of the rest of the accessories. No guarantee that any of the accessories originally came with the scope but here they are nevertheless. Let me know if you want close ups or more detailed pictures of anything.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• 6403082-VE0_3781.JPG

#13 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

What is the item that has the 35x~28x written on it?

Here is the terrestrial viewer

Attached Thumbnails

• 6403084-VE0_3785.JPG

#14 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

Does anyone know what the chrome piece is?

Here is the case

Attached Thumbnails

• 6403085-VE0_3784.JPG

#15 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

Inside the case

Attached Thumbnails

• 6403086-VE0_3782.JPG

#16 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

This is where I would expect to see a brand label. There is no sticky residue or signs of screw holes. Did some of them come without the retailer's label?

Attached Thumbnails

• 6403087-VE0_3783.JPG

#17 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:10 AM

Stephen,

Wow! What a wealth of information. I'm going to post some pictures of the rest of the accessories. No guarantee that any of the accessories originally came with the scope but here they are nevertheless. Let me know if you want close ups or more detailed pictures of anything.

Mike

Hello Mike, thks for posting the photos of the accessories. Some if not possibly all those parts are original as they are part of the Erector Tube/Terrestrial Eyepiece assembly.

The middle chrome tube looks like it has a removable brass sintered eyelens about the thickness of a filter. Is there any lettering on it? There may be threads on the opposite end of that chrome tube as well. That Telles 30X is part of the terrestrial set up as well. Does that piece have threads on the top end. Some more photos of these parts would help show how they are used together.

What do the tops of the two eyepieces with the raised lettering read? Not sure if those are original at this point.

There would have been a H.M.12.5mm 73X eyepiece matching the H.M 6mm 151X.

I'm going to send you a PM with some other information.

Stephen

#18 albert1

albert1

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:18 AM

Nice find Mike. Enjoy!

Here's my Space Scope.

Research Optical - Space Scope

#19 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Hello MikeRam and Charlie, I had seen you scope on CL and had asked the seller to send me a photo of what turned out to be the missing ID tag on the focuser. My initial guess was a Space Scope Research Optical 60mm x 910mm. But there are other brands of imported scopes from Japan during this time period that look very similar to the Space Scope models, for example, Peer Scope is one that comes to mind.

An excellent analysis on that scope. I had forgotten about the focuser adjustment screws being absent from the Space Scope. Thanks for all of that great information!

#20 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

Stephen,

You are right. The brass ring does unscrew and the other side is threaded on the inside. There is no eyelens in the brass ring or any writing. There is a lens in the part that looks like a gear though.

The lettering on the volcano top type lens reads; "H.M. 6mm 151x". The second lens has raised lettering but not white and reads; "H25mm". The third lens has a 2x written on the side of it. I originally thought it was part of the finder scope I am missing, but thanks to the great pics from Albert, I see it looks nothing like what belongs on the finder scope. Not sure what it is for.

Albert,

Would you mind posting a few pictures of your finder scope? That way I will at least be able to identify what I am missing.

thanks,

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• 6403919-VE0_3786.JPG

#21 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

More pics

Attached Thumbnails

• 6403921-VE0_3789.JPG

#22 MikeRam

MikeRam

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Pic

Attached Thumbnails

• 6403925-VE0_3788.JPG

#23 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hi Mike,

Nice purchase!

I'll post some pictures of my mystery scope. Mine might be a Peer Scope but there are some inconsistencies throughout. Looking closer at the instruction manual aside from the obvious mis-spelling, the scope is shown with a finder in a ring like stalk sometimes and some drawings show a more Swift like attachment to the finder scope. I'm not suggesting yours was labeled a Peer Scope, but rather that these great scopes were being imported and labeled under many different names.

Mine came with a porro prism instead of the straight through image erector (like yours) and as shown in my manual. Our mounts look the same, same hardware except mine has fine tune adjusters (deely-bobbers) which neither yours has nor the Peer Scope manual shows. I'm getting more confused as I write, hope you are too. Here are some pictures... I'll shut up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6403963-0.jpg

#24 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

6 X 30 finder. Mine looks to be typical of telescopes of the time. Tasco, Mayflower, anything Royal Astro.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6403978-0.jpg

#25 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

instructions for image erector...

Attached Thumbnails

• 6403988-0.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics