•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New "OLD" Orange Tube C-8

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Greg M

Greg M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

I recently picked up an old orange tube C-8 that I'm really stoked about. The only thing that was missing was the power cord and the bolts to attach the scope to the wedge and the wedge to the tripod. I found a replacement power cord on eBay and have that on the way. Everything seems to be in mint condition except the box of eyepieces that came with it. They are all original Celestron 1.25" eyepieces but they were loose in a box with old foam that was crumbling so they need some TLC. The optics on the scope were capped and when I popped the cover I was very surprised to see the corrector plate and primary appear to be in brand spanking new condition. Not a speck of dust on them.

Here's a shot of the scope. 

OrangeTubeC8-L.jpg

And not a speck of rust on the old triangle tripod either.

20171212_194800-XL.jpg

I'm hoping someone can help me date this baby? The serial # on the secondary is # 802514 if that helps?

I'm also hoping the motors are still good. The power cord is due to arrive in a couple days so I'll know for sure then.

I found the necessary hardware locally so I've got the three components mated. 

20171217_125011-X2.jpg

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Skylab

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

It looks good!  waytogo.gif â€‹  That Serial Number #802514 places it in the 1976-1977 range, per https://stargazerslo...ron-c8-owners/ 

Perhaps the motors have a date stamped on them -- have you peeked?

Per the Celestron C8 Registry https://www.cloudyni...y/#entry5161309 , your telescope may date from ~1980.  Hmmm....    smiley-char145.gif 

Edited by DLuders, 17 December 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#3 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Soyuz

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

Magnificent find! Veritable new old stock!

You also have the highly desirable, aftermarket University Optics 8x50 right angle finder. It was painted at the factory in Celestron Orange especially to match these Orange Tubes. True to its period, its image is upright but left-right reversed, for the best throughput of light with the coatings then available.

#4 Greg M

Greg M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:09 PM

It looks good!  waytogo.gif â€‹  That Serial Number #802514 places it in the 1976-1977 range, per https://stargazerslo...ron-c8-owners/ 

Perhaps the motors have a date stamped on them -- have you peeked?

Per the Celestron C8 Registry https://www.cloudyni...y/#entry5161309 , your telescope may date from ~1980.  Hmmm....    smiley-char145.gif

I've checked the motors. No date stamps on them. 

20171212_195107-X2.jpg

Magnificent find! Veritable new old stock!

You also have the highly desirable, aftermarket University Optics 8x50 right angle finder. It was painted at the factory in Celestron Orange especially to match these Orange Tubes. True to its period, its image is upright but left-right reversed, for the best throughput of light with the coatings then available.

Hey! that's a bit of good news. I was afraid the aftermarket University Optics finder was a bad thing, not a good thing.

20171212_194917-L.jpg

Really digging the old-school dust cover too! But it doesn't stay on so gonna need to rig up a strip of velcro I think.

20171212_195003-X2.jpg

#5 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Vanguard

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

I bought one of probably slightly earlier vintage recently. More of a nostalgia buy as I had always drooled over the adverts in S & T in my early days. I also have the modern 8SE so will look forwrd to the comparison.

#6 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Aurora

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

Have you looked at the diagonal? Our early 1970's vintage C8 has a prism, not a mirror.

#7 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

The thread on visual back (the "eyepiece holder") in some of the early C8's was a little bit different than the later ones. Yours probably has the later version. The difference is just enough that some accessories may not thread on to some tubes.

Since you picture the tube with the visual back and an eyepiece the parts and the tube you have are compatible, and I would recommend you keep them together--as in don't sell off your current visual back expecting a replacement (say a 2" visual back) to be compatible.

Again, your tube probably does not have this issue, but better to keep it together compatible parts than at break it apart and find out some new parts don't thread on too good.

I was going to say a dew shield would be high on your list of things to accessorized this. But, Henderson Nevada? You may get away without one for a while.

For portability and easy set and take down, there are tool-less bolts with knobs for mounting both the wedge to the tripod and the tube fork base to the wedge.

Anyone know who currently sells them? Scopestuff?

"Really digging the old-school dust cover too! But it doesn't stay on so gonna need to rig up a strip of velcro I think."  Yes, they do that. Or rather don't stay on.  Bit of felt on the cover that would go between the inner rim of the tube may work, too.

To store the folded up tripod a bungee cord wrapped around the legs to keep them and the slats together is one method. Or, a velcro strap.

LGM

Edited by Littlegreenman, 17 December 2017 - 05:40 PM.

#8 Pitter

Pitter

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

Where is the serial number located? Thats a big clue for dating it. Is that black tape or paint up front? That should not be there.

Edited by Pitter, 17 December 2017 - 05:46 PM.

#9 DLuders

DLuders

Skylab

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

You may enjoy reading about the classic orange-tube Celestron C8 on Page 7 of  "Uncle Rod's Used CAT Buyer's Guide" https://skywatch.bra...ed/used_sct.pdf .   

Edited by DLuders, 17 December 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#10 Greg M

Greg M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

I bought one of probably slightly earlier vintage recently. More of a nostalgia buy as I had always drooled over the adverts in S & T in my early days. I also have the modern 8SE so will look forwrd to the comparison.

I've got plenty of scopes too. This was the same for me, a nostalgia buy. I remember as a kid those old ads with Leonard Nimoy and wanting one so bad back then. But I couldn't afford one at the time.

7aa15c27e79204e84f8aadc3fde34732-L.jpg

Have you looked at the diagonal? Our early 1970's vintage C8 has a prism, not a mirror.

Prism on mine. I took it apart to blow out a bit of dust.

The thread on visual back (the "eyepiece holder") in some of the early C8's was a little bit different than the later ones. Yours probably has the later version. The difference is just enough that some accessories may not thread on to some tubes.

Since you picture the tube with the visual back and an eyepiece the parts and the tube you have are compatible, and I would recommend you keep them together--as in don't sell off your current visual back expecting a replacement (say a 2" visual back) to be compatible.

Again, your tube probably does not have this issue, but better to keep it together compatible parts than at break it apart and find out some new parts don't thread on too good.

I was going to say a dew shield would be high on your list of things to accessorized this. But, Henderson Nevada? You may get away without one for a while.

For portability and easy set and take down, there are tool-less bolts with knobs for mounting both the wedge to the tripod and the tube fork base to the wedge.

Anyone know who currently sells them? Scopestuff?

"Really digging the old-school dust cover too! But it doesn't stay on so gonna need to rig up a strip of velcro I think."  Yes, they do that. Or rather don't stay on.  Bit of felt on the cover that would go between the inner rim of the tube may work, too.

To store the folded up tripod a bungee cord wrapped around the legs to keep them and the slats together is one method. Or, a velcro strap.

LGM

I don't plan on parting this baby out. Everything will stay together.

Dew? What's that? ;-)

I'll look into the knobs for ease of setup. Thanks for the ScopeStuff tip.

Already got a bungee for the legs! Haha! But I'm thinking this baby is going to stay setup as a piece of fine art in the living room.

Where is the serial number located? Thats a big clue for dating it. Is that black tape or paint up front? That should not be there.

20171212_195021-X2.jpg

On the secondary cover.

#11 Greg M

Greg M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

You may enjoy reading about the classic orange-tube Celestron C8 on Page 7 of  "Uncle Rod's Used CAT Buyer's Guide" https://skywatch.bra...ed/used_sct.pdf .   

I found that. It was VERY interesting reading. Great resource. Thanks!

#12 Pitter

Pitter

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

It's an 80's C8

Edited by Pitter, 17 December 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#13 DLuders

DLuders

Skylab

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

If you zoom in on the image  http://www.summers1....s/c8serial5.jpg , it would appear that your orange tube Celestron C8 is indeed from 1980.  That 38-year-old scope sure is in great shape.

#14 Don W

Don W

658th Member

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:24 PM

Bought one like that new from our sponsor, Astronomics, in June of 1981. Nice find. Sold it to a club member in late 80s. Haven't seen him in a long time. 

Your scope looks like new. Very nice. Love the old Orange Tubes. You should list the SN in the C-8 Registry here.

https://www.cloudyni...17#entry8261655

#15 John Higbee

John Higbee

Apollo

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

Congratulations on this great find...you're going to enjoy using this classic very much!

C8 v1.jpg

John

Edited by John Higbee, 17 December 2017 - 10:37 PM.

#16 Geo31

Geo31

Hubble

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:01 AM

For the knobs, one good source is McMaster-Carr.  They are likely less expensive than Scopeshed.

#17 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Soyuz

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:37 PM

Here are my note about the bolts, gleaned from other threads. I need to buy a few sets of these clamping knobs, too: 

Clamping knobs, stainless steel: Wedge to the tripod, 1.25" 1/4-20. Base to wedge, 1 1/2" 5/16-18. Base to motor, 1 1/8" 3/8-16. Fine azimuth, 1 1/8" 5/16-18. If must buy longer, thread a nut to cover exposed threads. If the bolts grab, LubriPlate molybdenum anti-seize lubricant. www.mcmaster.com; www.ttrackusa.com; www.telescopewarehouse.com

https://www.cloudyni...orange-tube-c8/

One tip about the University Optics finder: As will be obvious, unlike the original, straight-through 6x30, the 8x50 right angle will not fit through the forks, so you need to be careful not to damage it by accident. I may find some way to pad mine where they collide, to protect the paint. 

#18 Greg M

Greg M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:32 AM

Another update. The power cord I found on eBay was the correct cord but unfortunately the scope doesn't power up. I was really hoping I'd get to bring the scope out this weekend but it has no power at this point. Of course I can move it manually but I was really hoping I could get this baby powered up and running. 

Suggestions at this point? Any chance there's someone out there that could repair or replace the motors? I know I'm asking for a lot considering she's 40 years old....

#19 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

Optical Research Engineer

• Vendors

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:57 AM

I have number 152576, with Special Coatings. I assume it's from mid 1970's. It's in great shape, no issues with the coatings or

it's performance, as what one would expect from SchCass system. I mounted it on a Ed Byers drive mount black. tracks well enough for viewing. Plan to keep this one, works very well here on the Oregon coast, seeing at times 3-4/5 during the year. View mostly Solar system objects. Finished my M list with it. Use a 2 inch 34 mm eyepiece most times, or Brandon's, added a Orion 50 mm finder and Telrad, and made my own counter weight system. Heavy duty tripod, on wheels, easy to pull out from garage. Good combo. Would love to add digital setting circles, some day.

I guess it can be added to the CN classic list.

Starry Nights

#20 charlesgeiger

charlesgeiger

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:53 AM

The 'special coatings' decal were on the top of the tube just behind the corrector cell.  Also, there was no black tape or paint up front so you might want to check on this to see if this is removable to bring it back to perfect stock condition.  If it is a vinyl tape, you should be able to slowly peel it off...if it is paint that is a different matter.  I am assuming the original owner put that tape there to insulate the tube from the heating elements for the corrector...again, just an assumption.

Great find and nice scope!

Charlie

#21 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:31 AM

Another update. The power cord I found on eBay was the correct cord but unfortunately the scope doesn't power up. I was really hoping I'd get to bring the scope out this weekend but it has no power at this point. Of course I can move it manually but I was really hoping I could get this baby powered up and running. 

Suggestions at this point? Any chance there's someone out there that could repair or replace the motors? I know I'm asking for a lot considering she's 40 years old....

It is easy to be fooled.  You plug it in and nothing seems to happen. Is the clutch engaged? Some of the C8's had a "window" over one or both motor that allowed you to see something moving inside when powered up. Listening real close may reveal motor sounds, or with a stethoscope or the old wine or shot glass as-a- stethoscope method.

Ultimate test is the plug it in, note where the tube is pointing, and check in in a few hours to see if it's moved

====

I used to have a TV Panoptic 35mm on a C8. Wonderful views. Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative that doesn't give up much?

#22 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Soyuz

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

I second Littlegreenman's comment, having been there myself, and seen it many times on this forum. Orange Tube motors almost always work, yet are often initially thought to be dead.

#23 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:37 AM

Isn't it true that old synchronous motors sometimes need helping starting after years of sitting? Stiction issue?

-drl

#24 Greg M

Greg M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

It is easy to be fooled.  You plug it in and nothing seems to happen. Is the clutch engaged? Some of the C8's had a "window" over one or both motor that allowed you to see something moving inside when powered up. Listening real close may reveal motor sounds, or with a stethoscope or the old wine or shot glass as-a- stethoscope method.

Ultimate test is the plug it in, note where the tube is pointing, and check in in a few hours to see if it's moved

====

I used to have a TV Panoptic 35mm on a C8. Wonderful views. Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative that doesn't give up much?

I did that. Aimed on a light pole about a quarter-mile down the street. Dead center in the eyepiece. Went inside, had dinner, probably 30-45 minutes later and the light is still dead center. It's not moving. I did notice one of the two motors seemed very slightly warm to the touch while the other was dead cold room temp.

Isn't it true that old synchronous motors sometimes need helping starting after years of sitting? Stiction issue?

-drl

And exactly how would this help be applied? I'm open to all suggestions.

#25 Greg M

Greg M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

The 'special coatings' decal were on the top of the tube just behind the corrector cell.  Also, there was no black tape or paint up front so you might want to check on this to see if this is removable to bring it back to perfect stock condition.  If it is a vinyl tape, you should be able to slowly peel it off...if it is paint that is a different matter.  I am assuming the original owner put that tape there to insulate the tube from the heating elements for the corrector...again, just an assumption.

Great find and nice scope!

Charlie

It is black tape, not paint. I'm very afraid of trying to remove it as it may pull the original paint off with it. I don't know how fragile that original orange paint is.

Not sure why it was placed there because here in the desert seriously doubt he would have had a need for dew heaters. I never have. 

It does have the Special Coatings decal on the top behind the corrector. It's barely hanging on and it will come off any day now with all the movement I've done with it.

Edited by Greg M, 19 December 2017 - 05:27 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics