•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron AZ Mount Pro with Tri-Pier Or is 2” tripod ok

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jsquared

Jsquared

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Aubrey, Texas

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:56 AM

Title says it all. I’m thinking about mounting a fc100 Tak and a mewlon 210 together on the AZ mount pro. A tri pier costs quite a bit more than a 2” tripod. Is the tri pier worth it ???

#2 petert913

petert913

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:29 PM

I have the iOptron 2" tripod for my iEQ45 pro mount and I am not impressed.  Not very stable and flexes at the lower joints.

My Celestron 2" tripod was much stiffer.  I added the mini-pier extension so I could keep the legs fully retracted.  Big difference.

So I would recommend the iOptron extension (mini pier) or get the TriPier.

• Jsquared likes this

#3 Xeroid

Xeroid

Soyuz

• Loc: USA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:59 PM

I have an older 2" ioptron tripod and added a 3/4" pine wood eyepiece spreader which really did help to improve its weight & stability.

The tripod lower joints do not flex so maybe I got a good one before they did a "cost reduction" ?

Of course the Tri-Pier is a beast and rock solid when I mount my 25 lb scope on it. Soooo much fun to "level" it on a sloping grass patch lol.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190909_115918336_HDR.jpg
  • IMG_0656-d.jpg

• Jsquared and Sasquachh like this

#4 Spikey131

Spikey131

Aurora

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:24 PM

You don’t need the pier.

I run these together all the time.  Just keep it balanced.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0064DCF2-D2AE-4511-8E8C-5558E3012A55.jpeg

#5 Spikey131

Spikey131

Aurora

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:26 PM

I do use the mini pier.

#6 Seaquel47

Seaquel47

Ranger 4

• Loc: Punta Gorda, Florida

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

It depends.  I have the tripod and have no complaints regarding its stability.  I recently got a ZWO ASI 294 Pro and when I balance the scopes (TV-85 and Meade 8" sct) the camera will hit a tripod leg during the initailization.  I'm trying to figure out how to make a pier to go on my tripod.

#7 fate187

fate187

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:24 AM

My observation is, that 2" pier might be the weak point. I use a SW EQ6 pier with the AZMount pro. It works, but longer scopes take considerable time for vibrations to dampen. 

I used a SW AZ-EQ6 on a losmandy HD tripod. Everything is much more stable and also astrophotography session are more reliable when it comes to pointing and slewing compared to the standard pier.

Get the more stable pier waytogo.gif

• Astrohobby likes this

#8 Xeroid

Xeroid

Soyuz

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:27 AM

Here's a possible solution to your question:

The ioptron Mini Pier has a removable bottom and top plates.  The bottom plate has several M10, M8, M6 holes and a central M12 hole. Several screws are also supplied with the Mini Pier

You could insert a 3/8" tripod bolt into the bottom central hole and thread a nylock nut to secure the bottom plate to the tripod head.

One could also drill & thread and add a M8 bolt in addition to the central bolt.

It depends.  I have the tripod and have no complaints regarding its stability.  I recently got a ZWO ASI 294 Pro and when I balance the scopes (TV-85 and Meade 8" sct) the camera will hit a tripod leg during the initailization.  I'm trying to figure out how to make a pier to go on my tripod.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mini Pier on Wood.jpg

Edited by Xeroid, 28 January 2020 - 10:30 AM.

• dapalmer and Sasquachh like this

#9 BobW55

BobW55

Messenger

• Loc: Melvin, Michigan (Sanilac County)

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:35 PM

I have the Ioptron tri-pier, along with a 2" tripod.  

The tri-pier wins hands down.  While not as good as a cement pier, it is the next best thing.  Leave mine out with the CEM60 on it year round.  Mount my gear, and I am up in running in 5 minutes or less.  Maybe 10 if I have to tweak the PA.

#10 Jsquared

Jsquared

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Tri pier seems to win hands down.
  • richorn likes this

#11 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Tri pier seems to win hands down.

It does.  I had the 2" Tripod, and now I have Tri-Pier.

There. Is. No. Comparison!!!! 

#12 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

Will the head work on a LX200 tripod..? Is the mini pier needed for this setup...?

#13 Xeroid

Xeroid

Soyuz

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:48 PM

Yes, I do believe the Mini Pier would be required with a longer central bolt to secure the bottom Mini Pier plate to your tripod.

See the longer bolt and nut used in post #8 left photo above.

FYI:

If you order just the AZMP mount with no tripod or no Tri-Pier, then one must also order the star leveling screws separately.

The ioptron AZMP mount uses 3 leveling "star" screws and a central 12mm bolt to secure the mount to the top plate of the Mini Pier or Tripod  or Tri-Pier .

If in doubt, contact ioptron tech support via email for clarification.

Edit:

Does your tripod have a flat mounting surface? if it has a protrusion (AZ adjust) then Mini Pier bottom plate may not work unless its modified...

Will the head work on a LX200 tripod..? Is the mini pier needed for this setup...?

Edited by Xeroid, 30 January 2020 - 04:37 PM.

• Delta608 likes this

#14 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:17 PM

Yes, I do believe the Mini Pier would be required with a longer central bolt to secure the bottom Mini Pier plate to your tripod.

See the longer bolt and nut used in post #8 left photo above.

FYI:

If you order just the AZMP mount with no tripod or no Tri-Pier, then one must also order the star leveling screws separately.

The ioptron AZMP mount uses 3 leveling "star" screws and a central 12mm bolt to secure the mount to the top plate of the Mini Pier or Tripod  or Tri-Pier .

If in doubt, contact ioptron tech support via email for clarification.

Edit:

Does your tripod have a flat mounting surface? if it has a protrusion (AZ adjust) then Mini Pier bottom plate may not work unless its modified...

I will call tomorrow or just buy the more expensive tri-pier and mount...I cant seem to get off the fence regarding this mount or a Skywatcher EQ6r blah blah that is currently on sale...I would like another imaging platform, but this mount looks like a nice evening with my wife  just viewing with two scopes...(My other mount is a G11 and a bit of  beast).. Thanks so much for your insight and advice...

#15 Jsquared

Jsquared

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:07 PM

In another thread the OP posted about using the iOptron az pro with tri pier and mounting a mewlon 250 on it. Said he had talked with iOptron and they said it was ok. 24 lb tube plus rings plus finder plus diagonal plus ep. what do you think ?

#16 Jsquared

Jsquared

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:13 PM

Ordered as mount pro with tri pier friday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:00 PM

It does.  I had the 2" Tripod, and now I have Tri-Pier.

There. Is. No. Comparison!!!! 

Late to this threat - my mount comes tomorrow - mouth watering and thanks for your input!

Cheers  <Oliver

#18 Cajunchuck

Cajunchuck

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arkansas, USA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:50 PM

The Tripier is nice but was unfortunately a little out of my budget when I ordered my AZMP in October.  I ordered the newer Literoc tripod with it and so far no complaints other that needing an extension to use with my long refractor.  I tried since October in vain to find a Minipier in stock to no luck.  A little frustration set in and this morning, on a whim, I emailed Ioptron an inquiry regarding wait times.  John responded promptly that they had a very low quantity of them available (website has showed "backorder" status forever).  I went to the site and placed an order for one.  Received tracking number this afternoon!  I am so grateful and Ioptron is tier one in my book.  Kudos to them.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics