•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AAVSO Webinar | Filters & Photometric Transformations

Outreach
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AAVSO_HQ

AAVSO_HQ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2024 - 03:59 PM

Join Dr. Brian Kloppenborg, AAVSO's Executive Director, as he traces the journey of light from the stars to our sensors.

The one-hour Zoom presentation will explore the impacts atmospheric transmission, telescope optics, and sensor technologies have on stellar photometric data, as well as how photometric filters and transformation processes serve to standardize measurements across observers.

Brian will discuss the most common photometric systems used by amateur astronomers, present transmission curves of a variety of commercially available filters, and discuss how you can use transformation to improve the quality of your photometry.

Admission: Free

When: Saturday, May 11 at 2 PM Eastern

Register: Online

2024-05-11_Promo.jpg

AAVSO Webinars 2024

• ButterFly likes this

#2 William R. Diffin

William R. Diffin

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Warwickshire

Posted 11 May 2024 - 02:36 PM

Nope.

I observe variable stars visually, but seeing that AAVSO observing campaigns often require observations using photoelectric sensors with filters, last year I acquired a Bessel V-filter to use with my Zwo ASI290MM CMOS sensor, to 'transform' my 'flux measurements' in my variable star 'photometry', to use the AAVSO-speak.

And now I can report, that after sitting through an hour or so of this webinar, I still have absolutely no idea whatsoever of what I'm supposed to do with my V-filter, and I don't believe that I was supposed to either. I rather think that I'm supposed to believe that I'm too stupid to simply guess by eye how bright a single pixel of light is. And why wouldn't I be? I was stupid enough to pay £150 for a useless little piece of green glass. I guess I'll just give up astronomy altogether now; it's obviously beyond the ken of an uneducated Irish peasant like me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Outreach

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics