•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Semi-Wide for 1250mm Dob. ES82 24mm? XW20? Other?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#26 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:08 PM

I know that even 100 arcminutes isn't enough to get all of (the) Pleiades, but it's a compromise; I don't want to go any wider.   I have no problem finding and seeing them in the 30mm. Heck, it's a naked eye.

Sorry if I seemed contrarian to some of you folks. I appreciate your opinions, especially those that explain the *why* of your experiences and opinions, given the huge number of variables at play.

Thanks.

I think you're being very reasonable, thinking, asking questions. I would not base this decision on the Pleiades, to see the Pleiades, to properly frame them takes maybe 2.5 degrees.

But the virtues of a 30 -35 mm eyepiece in an F/5 scope are wider fields and brighter images. Brighter images are particularly useful with narrow band and notch filters.

Jon

#27 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:30 PM

I think Markus is in the minority here.

David Knisley write a nice CN report about this EP. He has good eyes, I've learned to trust his recommendations.

He also gave a good report on the 36mm  Baader Aspheric. I tried the 31mm and it was really bad. I have good eyes too....been doing this for many years. We don't all see things in the same way. I think you believe him more just because he has been on CN longer and because he is like the furniture here, lol.

You are entitled to believe anything you wish, it's a free world. :grin:

Edited by Scanning4Comets, 03 October 2015 - 11:27 PM.

#28 Brian Carter

Brian Carter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:44 PM

You aren't being contrarian at all. There are a lot of people that want an eyepiece that gives them minimum magnification and maximum FOV. There are others, like me, that prefer a bit more magnification to help find things. That's ok too.

markus is right though, people have different eyes, or at least different interpretations of what their eyes say. Get what's right for you, not what is right for Markus. You can both be right.

#29 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:45 AM

Actually Markus years of observing do count, but not in the way one might think.

Many of the people here have spent years at the eye piece and have become very good at " seeing" EFOB, and pretty much any or all edge defects etc

On the other hand folks like my self who don't have that much experience at the eye pieces or access to many, many, eye pieces do not have this ability.

I for instance spent have spent years observing with a GSO superview 30mm, and I was awed, still am in m f/10 refractors.

But then along came a f4.9 dob and I was happy, and if that was the only ep I could ever have still would be, but I also picked up a 35mm Panoptic, and suddenly I was all anew awed by what a good ep could do.

I also have the ES 24 82 degree ep, I absolutely love it. Though the ES 18MM IS RIGHT NEXT TO IT, LOL 

#30 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:51 AM

There's two etpieces I regret letting go....the 8-24 Zhumell zoom (no good reason, I just miss it), and the old mushroom top ES82 24mm (before they waterproofed them)....Even without the paracorr, its a jaw dropper(just don't drop it on your jaw...heavy bugger.

#31 phreon

phreon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:49 PM

The ES82 24mm arrive. Holy hole in a donut Batman, it's huge!

1007152039_zpsnplpsojt.jpg

#32 MeridianStarGazer

MeridianStarGazer

Hubble

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:05 PM

That is a 10oz can, not a 16oz. But the ES is 24oz. Still lighter than the 100 deg at 33oz. If you already got a 2" focuser weight penalty, why not use it? Me and ATM, a 1.25" focuser could save weight unless I actually use a 2" eyepiece.

I've looked through the ES82 deg 24mm. I it is immersive and easy eye placement. I just wish I could correct for astigmatism somehow.

#33 phreon

phreon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:36 AM

I didn't say I wasn't going to use it, I just included the soup can for scale. My scope has a 2" focuser, but being a Dob, I might have to counterweight the OTA. It's already at the end of its balance adjustment.  We'll see.

Edited by phreon, 08 October 2015 - 06:38 AM.

#34 BDS316

BDS316

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

I didn't say I wasn't going to use it, I just included the soup can for scale. My scope has a 2" focuser, but being a Dob, I might have to counterweight the OTA. It's already at the end of its balance adjustment.  We'll see.

There is a company called "American Science and Surplus" that sells half pound epoxy coated donut magnets that make great counterweights. They cost just a few dollars each.  I keep four of them in my accessory case. 

#35 Brian Carter

Brian Carter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:26 AM

Hahaha!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics