•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wasn't sure if this is a "Classics" or "ATM" topic, but...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

A few years ago I purchased the last three 60/1000 Carton optical sets and three NOS Carton threaded tubes from Apogee's Sheldon Faworski, and the last few Chinese 1.25" (6-inch draw tube) R&P focusers from now-defunct Meridian Telscopes, and assembled three "new" 60mm f/16.7 achromats out of old, but unused parts.  Classic components, but never assembled together into telescopes during the Golden Age hence not precisely classics.

At any rate, this afternoon I finished artificial star testing all three using a green filter, identified the best of the three OGs , disassembled and cleaned the optics, and reassembled the OTAs, placing the best OG in the best condition tube assembly.  I now have what I deem to be a 60mm wolf in sheep's clothing.

But there's a hitch.  First off, the OTA is not drilled for mounting a finder scope.  Second, one of the OGs has a spacer that is clearly thicker than the rest.  With respect to the finderless nature of the scope, I would like a finder.  I could drill holes and use bolts to mount a finder shoe to the OTA, but instead am thinking I'd rather have a peep-sight like the ones use on Zeiss Telementors.

Example:  http://whuyss.tripod...telementor3.jpg

So I'd welcome suggestions regarding what I could use for the peep holes (I was thinking some kind of hardware fixtures used to hold rails or racks might work.  Perhaps cruder, but simpler, I could simply cut some small diameter tubing to make two "rings".  I'd rather not drill, so am looking to attach with some form of adhesive.  So what's I'd like beyond suggestions of what I could use for the rings on what I ought to use to affix them to the tube and. crucially, how I should go about aligning them mutually and with the center axis of the main scope's optical pathway.

Thanks!

- Jim 

#2 Larry10

Larry10

Viking 1

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:18 PM

I tried this years ago:

I got a piece of 1x2 pine about 6 or 7 inches long. I wrapped some 80 grit sandpaper around the tube and carefully worked the pine back and forth along the tube on top of the sandpaper to contour the bottom of the pine to the tube diameter. This had to be done with care to make sure the groove was as parallel with the sides of the wood strip as possible. After the rough sanding I used a finer grit to smooth it out.

I then placed a small eye screw at one of the board and mounted it to the OTA using zip ties with the eye screw at the OG end. I took the scope outside and sited on a distant target through the eyepiece and then used a small finishing nail lined up with the front eye screw  to mark the right position for the second eye screw that would go at the eyepiece end. It's also important to keep the eye screw heights matched to work.

It was good enough to find the moon and planets at lower powers. It was not good enough to make me happy.

Likely a more precise job good be done with the right power tools since it's important to get the wood strip parallel to the OTA.

An option to grooving the wood strip would be to use two strips of quarter round trim on the bottom, but they would have to be placed with care.

I have a Zeiss and personally did not like peep sites. I used one of the existing peep site holes to mount a finder base. The only peep site I was ever comfortable with was the big one that came with the Astroscan.

If this were my project I would be drilling.

Edited by Larry10, 13 August 2016 - 06:22 PM.

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

I tried this years ago:

I got a piece of 1x2 pine about 6 or 7 inches long. I wrapped some 80 grit sandpaper around the tube and carefully worked the pine back and forth along the tube on top of the sandpaper to contour the bottom of the pine to the tube diameter. This had to be done with care to make sure the groove was as parallel with the sides of the wood strip as possible. After the rough sanding I used a finer grit to smooth it out.

I then placed a small eye screw at one of the board and mounted it to the OTA using zip ties with the eye screw at the OG end. I took the scope outside and sited on a distant target through the eyepiece and then used a small finishing nail lined up with the front eye screw  to mark the right position for the second eye screw that would go at the eyepiece end. It's also important to keep the eye screw heights matched to work.

It was good enough to find the moon and planets at lower powers. It was not good enough to make me happy.

Likely a more precise job good be done with the right power tools since it's important to get the wood strip parallel to the OTA.

An option to grooving the wood strip would be to use two strips of quarter round trim on the bottom, but they would have to be placed with care.

I have a Zeiss and personally did not like peep sites. I used one of the existing peep site holes to mount a finder base. The only peep site I was ever comfortable with was the big one that came with the Astroscan.

If this were my project I would be drilling.

Thanks Larry.

It may come to that (drilling) though I do have a WO RDF with shoe, and could adhere/epoxy the shoe to the OTA pretty easily.  I'm just not a big fan of small screen RDFs.  But the advantage there is I could do the gluing tonight and be using it tomorrow.  :thinking:

Regards,

Jim

#4 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:29 PM

Jim, you're in luck.  I just happen to have a pair of authentic genuine vintage Towa high precision lens-less aiming devices.  These were on my Monolux 4348.  I spared no expense repainting them (name brand versus store brand flat black).  If you want them, PM me.  Bonus:  The tiny mounting screws included.

#5 gitane71

gitane71

Viking 1

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:41 PM

Probably not the kind of durability you are looking for, but I have had the same set up (Carton 60mms, same tube).  I used an index card, folded, lined it up and taped to the tube.  I seldom use finders anyway, but this lens cell has such a large flange it is harder to use the tube itself as the sight.  Maybe some brass shim folded?  Maybe still not 'official' , or 'classic' enough but it worked.  ?

#6 Larry10

Larry10

Viking 1

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:42 PM

Thanks Larry.

It may come to that (drilling) though I do have a WO RDF with shoe, and could adhere/epoxy the shoe to the OTA pretty easily.  I'm just not a big fan of small screen RDFs.  But the advantage there is I could do the gluing tonight and be using it tomorrow.   :thinking:

Regards,

Jim

If you used a nice wad of Hubba Bubba you could be viewing tonight. Then do the drilling at a more convenient time. :)

#7 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:15 PM

A few years ago I purchased the last three 60/1000 Carton optical sets and three NOS Carton threaded tubes from Apogee's Sheldon Faworski, and the last few Chinese 1.25" (6-inch draw tube) R&P focusers from now-defunct Meridian Telscopes, and assembled three "new" 60mm f/16.7 achromats out of old, but unused parts.  Classic components, but never assembled together into telescopes during the Golden Age hence not precisely classics.

At any rate, this afternoon I finished artificial star testing all three using a green filter, identified the best of the three OGs , disassembled and cleaned the optics, and reassembled the OTAs, placing the best OG in the best condition tube assembly.  I now have what I deem to be a 60mm wolf in sheep's clothing.

But there's a hitch.  First off, the OTA is not drilled for mounting a finder scope.  Second, one of the OGs has a spacer that is clearly thicker than the rest.  With respect to the finderless nature of the scope, I would like a finder.  I could drill holes and use bolts to mount a finder shoe to the OTA, but instead am thinking I'd rather have a peep-sight like the ones use on Zeiss Telementors.

Example:  http://whuyss.tripod...telementor3.jpg

So I'd welcome suggestions regarding what I could use for the peep holes (I was thinking some kind of hardware fixtures used to hold rails or racks might work.  Perhaps cruder, but simpler, I could simply cut some small diameter tubing to make two "rings".  I'd rather not drill, so am looking to attach with some form of adhesive.  So what's I'd like beyond suggestions of what I could use for the rings on what I ought to use to affix them to the tube and. crucially, how I should go about aligning them mutually and with the center axis of the main scope's optical pathway.

Thanks!

- Jim 

I have exactly the same build - Sheldon's 60x1000 Carton objective and tube with a Meridian focuser.  It's a exceptionally nice scope and I use  a Rigel Quickfinder on it, but instead of using the supplied double stick tape, I use Velcro to attach it.

Edited by CharlieB, 13 August 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#8 Geo31

Geo31

Hubble

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

Share the love?  Put the extras up for sale?

I'm not in the market for another 60mm, but I bet there are folks who would love and care for one of the extras. :)

That said, they are your scopes, and by all means, do what you see fit.

Edited by Geo31, 14 August 2016 - 09:14 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics