•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mini PC for outside at the mount

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2024 - 04:29 PM

Hello everyone,

As the title says, I am looking at mini pc's for at the mount, Paramount ME. It will be at the base of the mount.

Why I'm asking is, dew / moisture.  Is there a mini pc that handles moisture better than others?? I could just put a loose / air slotted cover over it. Is this the best solution??

As for pc's, looking at a Mele fanless and a Geekom I5 / Ryzen 5 with a fan.  Just need four USB A ports and wifi capable.  50" to 60' run to inside the house. I use a Dell laptop now, but will switch over to mini and leave computer bolted to my power board. 

What that allows me to do is operate when imaging without a table top at the mount, just use it for visual.

Like I said, looking at Mele and Geekom, fan vs fanless to run Sky X, Phd2, focuser and NINA, a total of three USB type A cables to the computer.

Just questioning dew control and if there is anything else I am missing??

Thanks for looking,   Joe

Edit,  Moderator,  if this is in the wrong forum please move to proper forum.  Thank you, Joe

Edited by Sacred Heart, 06 May 2024 - 04:30 PM.

#2 pedxing

pedxing

Gemini

• Loc: SE Alaska

Posted 06 May 2024 - 04:34 PM

In my experience, fanless mini pcs run warm enough that dew does not form on them.

• dswtan, Sacred Heart and soojooko like this

#3 hyiger

hyiger

Aurora

• Loc: East Bay, CA

Posted 06 May 2024 - 05:14 PM

My Mele Quieter 3C has it's own builtin dew heater called "Intel Processor"

• dswtan, pedxing, mackiedlm and 4 others like this

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 06 May 2024 - 05:15 PM

It might depend  on where you are. I've got 5 mini pc's at the base of 5 different systems in my shared observatory in Southern California. The newest is about a year old but a couple of them are over 5 years old and there have been no problems with them. I've avoided the super tiny ones (generally) in favor of more powerful refurbished units for between 2 and3 hundred dollars. I just like the crisper response to everything by getting a faster CPU. 

• dswtan and Sacred Heart like this

#5 afd33

afd33

Viking 1

• Loc: WI, USA

Posted 06 May 2024 - 05:21 PM

I've had no problems with my Beelink mini pcs even in the early fall when everything was soaked outside in the morning. Fanless ones may be better though, since the enclosure will heat up a bit more and prevent dew from forming on the outside even.

• Sacred Heart likes this

#6 DanMiller

DanMiller

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 06 May 2024 - 06:53 PM

This is slightly off topic of mini pc, but it still is on topic for pc at the mount.  I use to work for a utility before I retired, a gas company.  And our crew in the field would use Panasonic Tough books.  Trust me, if you want something that is designed for being outside.  These are the ones.  Police use them also.  With that said, I was hunting and pecking around for the price of these used.  They really aren't that bad in price.  They are going to be windows based and have touch screens.  But I was told that during one of the demos they ran over it with a truck and it still worked.  I wouldn't do that, but I would not worry about dropping it.

The Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 55 is built to resist extreme temperatures, making it ideal for hot or cold climates. This laptop is certified to operate between -20°C and 60°C (-4°F to 140°F) which means that it won't overheat when subjected to high temperatures or freeze up when exposed to cold weather.Dec 1, 2022

Panasonic Toughbooks are designed to withstand exposure to water, dust, and shocks, but they are not completely waterproof. According to Panasonic, the Toughbooks have an IP rating of IP65, which means they can resist water jets from any direction, but they cannot be submerged in water.Oct 24, 2023

I would still enclose it in a crate, but I would bet it works better than my think pad when it gets cold.  My think pad at the mount sucks wind when it is cold out.

Dan

#7 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2024 - 07:00 PM

Thanks.  Fanless = more heat = dew heater, makes sense.  I know they can't run crazy hot, not much going on computer wise.

I'm totally outside, no walls / observatory.

Ross, if you could explain a little more.  Crisper response,  are you connected via cable or wifi.  I'm wifi, no extenders. 50' 60' max, through brick.  Router has three antennas.  Cisco router.   Is your observatory in the backyard, like me, or miles away??  I find that interesting. 

The Geekom is $399 with a Ryzen 7 and 32 gig memory with 512 gig SSD.  Fanless Mini PC
MeLE PCG35 Fanless Mini PC N5105, has an antenna and is $279

Geekom is more powerful, but Mele has antenna for better reception.  Both have the connections I need.

Thank you to everyone,   Joe 

#8 Dangerdan

Dangerdan

Explorer 1

• Loc: Nebraska

Posted 06 May 2024 - 07:06 PM

I use a Mele Quieter 3Q and I've been happy with it.  It's fanless and runs warm/hot in the summer here in Nebraska.  Patriot Astro on YouTube recommended this heat sink and it works well with it when it's really hot.  No problems with dew so far, after about a year.

Dan

https://www.amazon.c..._rp_0_23_i&th=1

Edited by Dangerdan, 06 May 2024 - 07:07 PM.

#9 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2024 - 08:45 PM

This is slightly off topic of mini pc, but it still is on topic for pc at the mount.  I use to work for a utility before I retired, a gas company.  And our crew in the field would use Panasonic Tough books.  Trust me, if you want something that is designed for being outside.  These are the ones.  Police use them also.  With that said, I was hunting and pecking around for the price of these used.  They really aren't that bad in price.  They are going to be windows based and have touch screens.  But I was told that during one of the demos they ran over it with a truck and it still worked.  I wouldn't do that, but I would not worry about dropping it.

I would still enclose it in a crate, but I would bet it works better than my think pad when it gets cold.  My think pad at the mount sucks wind when it is cold out.

Dan

Dan,

Enclosing would take care of the dew,  Thanks.   Joe

#10 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2024 - 08:47 PM

I use a Mele Quieter 3Q and I've been happy with it.  It's fanless and runs warm/hot in the summer here in Nebraska.  Patriot Astro on YouTube recommended this heat sink and it works well with it when it's really hot.  No problems with dew so far, after about a year.

Dan

https://www.amazon.c..._rp_0_23_i&th=1

Dan,

I was looking at the one with an antenna for better reception.

Thanks,   Joe

#11 Cryhavoc38

Cryhavoc38

Mariner 2

• Loc: Woodinville, WA

Posted 06 May 2024 - 08:55 PM

I bought this one a week or so ago.
Couldn't be happier with it.

Loaded all the tools and set them up over the weekend.

Quick little box

Beelink S12 Pro Mini PC, Intel 12th Gen Alder Lake- N100(up to 3.4GHz), 16GB DDR4 RAM 500GB PCIe SSD, Desktop Computer Support 4K Dual Display/USB3.2/WiFi 6/BT5.2/Gigabit Ethernet for Home/Office https://a.co/d/83oOEnJ
  • Sacred Heart and DanMiller like this

#12 Robert7980

Robert7980

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Western North Carolina

Posted 06 May 2024 - 11:17 PM

For a Paramount you’re probably looking for a Prialuce Labs Eagle. It’s designed for AP and has some nice features that you won’t get with a standard mini PC especially nice if you’re running remote. It also has far more robust mounting options. Little pricey, but for the caliber mount you have that’s what I’d be looking at… 

Other than that I’ve been running a couple MeLE quieters with zero issues for awhile, I don’t leave them outside unpowered though so I don’t know what the mileage is there. They are very robust little marvels… 

Edited by Robert7980, 06 May 2024 - 11:19 PM.

#13 PIEJr

PIEJr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Los Angeles County, Southern California

Posted 06 May 2024 - 11:37 PM

I tried out going with an Intel Compute stick. I fought that thing tooth and nail.

In the end, I went back to a two-in-one. Then back to regular but inexpensive Laptop.

The two in one had an 11" screen, but my currant Lapto has a 14" screen and I appreciate the extra acreage of it.

One of my biggest problems with a mini was no display and I darn near wore a path through the house dealing with the lack of a display.

I'm much happier having a display at the mount, as well as one inside where I wifi to the mount from my desk.

Edited by PIEJr, 06 May 2024 - 11:38 PM.

#14 TDPerry

TDPerry

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: East Texas

Posted 06 May 2024 - 11:47 PM

The Geekom is $399 with a Ryzen 7 and 32 gig memory with 512 gig SSD.  Fanless Mini PC

MeLE PCG35 Fanless Mini PC N5105, has an antenna and is $279

Geekom is more powerful, but Mele has antenna for better reception.  Both have the connections I need.

If you want something built like a tank (aluminum case) and are mounting it on the actual mount, you may want to consider a Minix Z100-0DB.

Dual antennas and it has a N100 processor which is plenty fast enough to run N.I.N.A./StellarMate X OS/Linux with KStars on.

If you are doing actual processing with the system you will want a faster processor.

The benefit of the Minix is it uses a barrel connector for power instead of a USB-C connector.  It's much easier to find power cables for if you are going to be running off battery.

Edited by TDPerry, 06 May 2024 - 11:48 PM.

• rrybicki and Sacred Heart like this

#15 jml79

jml79

Apollo

• Loc: Belleville, Ont, Canada

Posted 06 May 2024 - 11:53 PM

I have 2 Beelink Mini S12 N95 pc's and run them outside, but not on the scope currently, in all sorts of nasty conditions including stupid cold that will form frost on most things. All I do is put a tiny square of wood on top of the PC that is about an inch bigger than the PC. This protects it from dew, frost, and even light rain. But honestly I likely don't need it, the top is always a little warm and would prevent dew from forming.

#16 jml79

jml79

Apollo

• Loc: Belleville, Ont, Canada

Posted 06 May 2024 - 11:58 PM

I tried out going with an Intel Compute stick. I fought that thing tooth and nail.

In the end, I went back to a two-in-one. Then back to regular but inexpensive Laptop.

The two in one had an 11" screen, but my currant Lapto has a 14" screen and I appreciate the extra acreage of it.

One of my biggest problems with a mini was no display and I darn near wore a path through the house dealing with the lack of a display.

I'm much happier having a display at the mount, as well as one inside where I wifi to the mount from my desk.

I take a laptop out to the mount with me and remote into the mini pc from it or I remote in with my tablet. When I use my laptops as imaging computers, I have them setup so I can close the lid and it stays running and I remote in from the house once the work at the scope is done. Often I have one mount running from a laptop and the other on a mini and use the laptop to remote into the mini when I'm outside. RDP takes almost no resources so the laptop will keep chugging along, imaging while I remote into the other rig. As long as I have 1 laptop somewhere, I don't notice a difference using a mini.

• Robert7980 and PIEJr like this

#17 PIEJr

PIEJr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Los Angeles County, Southern California

Posted 07 May 2024 - 02:10 AM

I take a laptop out to the mount with me and remote into the mini pc from it or I remote in with my tablet. When I use my laptops as imaging computers, I have them setup so I can close the lid and it stays running and I remote in from the house once the work at the scope is done. Often I have one mount running from a laptop and the other on a mini and use the laptop to remote into the mini when I'm outside. RDP takes almost no resources so the laptop will keep chugging along, imaging while I remote into the other rig. As long as I have 1 laptop somewhere, I don't notice a difference using a mini.

At the time I was trying to use the Intel Compute Stick, I didn't have a laptop.

I was trying to Wi-Fi it in to my tower computer.

But the missing display was the worst thing.

I'm much happier with the laptop wired to a powered USB hub, and Wi-Fiing into my inside compooter.

Edit In:

My old Toshiba laptop had died an untimely death. So I was running with the herd, trying the mini computer craze.

It led me back to a laptop.

Edited by PIEJr, 07 May 2024 - 09:48 AM.

#18 Juno18

Juno18

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Beach, Mississippi, USA

Posted 07 May 2024 - 05:38 AM

I live in a wet and humid environment (south Mississippi) and I decided last August to switch from laptop  to a mini PC.

I went with a Mele Overclock 3C since it had active cooling (fan) to help keep things cool on those hot summer nights and also eliminate the possibility of dew forming on or within the mini PC.

16Gb ddr4 ram and an overclocked Celeron is way more than sufficient to run NINA, PhD2, Cartes du Ceil, KStars (for image previews).

I had an extra M.2 512Gb laying around and swapped out the supplied 256 gb M.2 and also cloned the system to the built in 256Gb eMMC for an online backup.

Doing PA with a laptop or ipad is a bit different than using the laptop, but Now that I’m used to it, I like it better.

I use Remote Desktop with my phone, ipad, or inside desktop to monitor things from indoors (with Teamviewer as a backup)

There is now a faster Overclock 4C available.

Edited by Juno18, 07 May 2024 - 05:40 AM.

#19 Davemartin888

Davemartin888

Vostok 1

Posted 07 May 2024 - 06:44 AM

I bought and started using a Morefine M6 last week and it works well. Does generate some heat so don’t expect issue with dew. Used a YouTube video from Patriot Astro to set it up and was very easy to follow. 

• TDPerry likes this

#20 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2024 - 07:20 AM

I bought this one a week or so ago.
Couldn't be happier with it.

Loaded all the tools and set them up over the weekend.

Quick little box

Beelink S12 Pro Mini PC, Intel 12th Gen Alder Lake- N100(up to 3.4GHz), 16GB DDR4 RAM 500GB PCIe SSD, Desktop Computer Support 4K Dual Display/USB3.2/WiFi 6/BT5.2/Gigabit Ethernet for Home/Office https://a.co/d/83oOEnJ

I was thinking about a Beelink, then I read a thread somewhere else saying their customer service was not good. This is the reason I turn to you people.  Owners / users / experiences, not Youtubers making a living.

What made you choose Beelink, if I may ask??  Lots of other brands out here, just from people responding, it is great.

Joe

#21 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2024 - 07:24 AM

For a Paramount you’re probably looking for a Prialuce Labs Eagle. It’s designed for AP and has some nice features that you won’t get with a standard mini PC especially nice if you’re running remote. It also has far more robust mounting options. Little pricey, but for the caliber mount you have that’s what I’d be looking at… 

Other than that I’ve been running a couple MeLE quieters with zero issues for awhile, I don’t leave them outside unpowered though so I don’t know what the mileage is there. They are very robust little marvels… 

Robert,  This thing is stout as thunder.  Way over kill for me.  I love it, but too much package for me. All I need is a windows computer and 4 USB connections.

Thank you,   Joe

• Robert7980 and PIEJr like this

#22 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2024 - 07:26 AM

If you want something built like a tank (aluminum case) and are mounting it on the actual mount, you may want to consider a Minix Z100-0DB.

Dual antennas and it has a N100 processor which is plenty fast enough to run N.I.N.A./StellarMate X OS/Linux with KStars on.

If you are doing actual processing with the system you will want a faster processor.

The benefit of the Minix is it uses a barrel connector for power instead of a USB-C connector.  It's much easier to find power cables for if you are going to be running off battery.

TD,

This looks interesting, going to dig into it a little deeper.

Thanks,  Joe

#23 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2024 - 07:30 AM

I have 2 Beelink Mini S12 N95 pc's and run them outside, but not on the scope currently, in all sorts of nasty conditions including stupid cold that will form frost on most things. All I do is put a tiny square of wood on top of the PC that is about an inch bigger than the PC. This protects it from dew, frost, and even light rain. But honestly I likely don't need it, the top is always a little warm and would prevent dew from forming.

jml79,

I'm going to look at Beelink again,  this is the type of experiences I'm looking for.  No issues, no need for customer service??

Thanks,  Joe

#24 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2024 - 07:39 AM

This is interesting.  Now that you said this, a mini pc, for me at least because it will be at the base of the mount, is all about convenience.   Always there, small, out of the way.  I would have to carry my laptop out there to set everything up, I'm portable.

Time to recalculate the ride.   I have been using a laptop since the beginning, 2000 - 2001.

Thanks PIEJr,        Joe

• PIEJr likes this

#25 archiebald

archiebald

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Japan

Posted 07 May 2024 - 08:01 AM

I was thinking about a Beelink, then I read a thread somewhere else saying their customer service was not good. This is the reason I turn to you people.  Owners / users / experiences, not Youtubers making a living.

What made you choose Beelink, if I may ask??  Lots of other brands out here, just from people responding, it is great.

Joe

I was also looking at the Beelink but then I saw this video and many bad comments on reliability.

https://www.youtube....h?v=AOhFcA6JoM4

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics