•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CSPAMP V AUGUST 16th ,17th, 18th, 19th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
131 replies to this topic

#1 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

:yay: :yay: :dob: :refractor:CLASSIC STAR PARTY AT MOUNT PINOS = CSPAMP :refractor: :dob: :yay: :yay:
In August 2008 we started a epic Star Party that has become a legendary event. The friends we have made and the times we have spent under the wonderful skies at the 8500 foot high Mnt Pinos parking lot will forever be the remembered as the best of times for many of us!

This Event is a bit different in the fact there are no dues or fees. Its all free! There is no registration, No rules, No kidding. Just a great time under the stars with some really great folks. There is Tent Camping and a large Parking lot for RVs no hookup or water on site. Public bathrooms are a short walk from the parking lot. We are having it on a New Moon so there will be allot of astronomers and telescope up there. Getting there Thursday afternoon will make finding good parking easier.

This event is for the Classic forum or any other folks who can make it up for a day, night or the entire time... Hope to see you all there. Please post here with your thoughts and what scope might tag along with you.
Yes the Pearl has told me she wants to GO!! So what the Pearl wants the Pearl Gets...
(aveman
Clint & Debbie Whitman

Attached Thumbnails

• 5234064-IMG_2882 Group Edit Small.jpg

#2 Tarzanrock

Tarzanrock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hi Clint:
I've marked it on my calendar; and, I do hope that I can make it -- it's the best star party anywhere.
Bill

#3 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Bill we missed your PENTAX eyepieces last year!!! :foreheadslap:
Really we missed your persona!! Hope you make the pilgrimage.
Your friend Clint

#4 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

Da Bear and Mrs. Bear will be there -- with bells on ! Whoo-Hooo!--Can't wait.....

Da Bear

#5 jwaldo

jwaldo

Smart Mime

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Calendar marked. Now I have a deadline to finish rebuilding my DHQ :tonofbricks:

#6 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Soyuz

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Count 4 in from the Miller family. We will be renting a motorhome and doing it up big this year.

PS, new classic on the way :)

#7 gelkin

gelkin

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Just checked directions, only 2,620 mi. :foreheadslap: I can only wish. :smirk: It would be sweet though. :bow:

#8 tim53

tim53

James Webb Space Telescope

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

I'll try, but I think I'll be busy on Mars!

-Tim.

#9 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Going to this event has been a dream of mine, to see everyone in the flesh! and it looks like a great site way up there at 8000ft.
My van rear axle is still noisy and I wouldn't trust it for a trip like that not to mention 14 miles to the gallon of the distilled dinosaur brew.
I do have a new ship undergoing restoration/rejuvenation that will be perfect for hauling large telescopes long distances. If I don't have it ready this year next year for sure!
Robert

Attached Thumbnails

• 5235594-Volvo 001.JPG

#10 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• In Memoriam

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Best wishes for those attending - here's hoping for excellent viewing conditions! I'll be with you all in spirit...

#11 cphk96

cphk96

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

I would love to go.
Can anyone give me more information about the event?

Thank you
Chris

#12 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Going to this event has been a dream of mine, to see everyone in the flesh! and it looks like a great site way up there at 8000ft.
My van rear axle is still noisy and I wouldn't trust it for a trip like that not to mention 14 miles to the gallon of the distilled dinosaur brew.
I do have a new ship undergoing restoration/rejuvenation that will be perfect for hauling large telescopes long distances. If I don't have it ready this year next year for sure!
Robert

Jeeze Robert,

When I met you in Ft. Lewis a million years ago that wheel bearing was screaming then. I recently drove down to SoCal to see my brother off, went right past Clint's place, really it's not that far away!

other keith

#13 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hi Keith,

I remember Ft. Lewis! yes it's the same problem, I really should fix it. It hasn't gotten better or worse. I took the magnetic plug out and it looks like a metallic herb garden with long strings of bearing and gear material radiating out from it. I did fill it back up with synthetic oil which seems to have stabilized things. Problem is the rear axle is more expensive then the whole van is worth.

Robert

#14 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

LIST
Clint & Debbie (aveman
Nick, Tyler, Allie, Steve
J Waldo
Lee & Janice DaBear
Jake Whitman
Tim Parker Maybe
Don Bryden
William Stremel
Bob Burns
Ed Byers Maybe
Chris cphk96
AND
Lewis Chilton the historian!!

Chris I sent an email with my number!!

So Keith is it close enough for you to make it down... Maybe you guys can car pool!!

We are very excited and looking forward to seeing everyone this year.. Hoping for the best seeing to date!!
Clint & Debbie

#15 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Clint,

Please add me to the list, although I haven't decided which day to attend. Looking forward to seeing the CSPAMP gang again!

Because our Palmdale eclipse site was windy (which is apparently a continual occurence), I'm considering viewing the upcoming Venus transit from Mt. Wilson, where the Antique Telescope Society will be observing it, after its annual meeting there. I'm hoping you'll also attend with a couple of your classics.

Lew C.

#16 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Robert..if It was up to me..you could come by and pick me up on your way down.....I'll be waiting in Port Orchard..then we could catch 101 down to Olympia. :smirk:

Rob(still undecided)

#17 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

So Keith is it close enough for you to make it down... Maybe you guys can car pool!!

Are you kidding me? Look at the tire tread on Robert's new Volvo :lol:

Actually I'm just finishing out 2 weeks off from work (at home now) after being mostly in AZ for my son's wedding and the eclipse. If I stay away from work any longer, someone is bound to catch on to how unnecessary my presence there really is.

#18 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Are you kidding me? Look at the tire tread on Robert's new Volvo :lol:

Actually I'm just finishing out 2 weeks off from work (at home now) after being mostly in AZ for my son's wedding and the eclipse. If I stay away from work any longer, someone is bound to catch on to how unnecessary my presence there really is.

Keith..if we lived in a perfect world..we could hitch with Robert...he can swing in and get me..then we can fetch you....taking off 2 days of work then heading back Sunday Morning. 18 hour drive possibly. Just think of the fast fun we can have?......If it was a perfect world. :confused:

Rob

#19 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

I don't think the Volvo will be ready for this years event but next year and you guys have a very fun idea with the car pool. Split the fuel and lodging costs. The Volvo is long and skinny so I'm sure we can all fit with our refractors, that is all but your 10" Rob! I'm sure you also have a smaller one, and I know you do Keith. We will probably be very satisfied with a smaller scope at 8500ft.

Robert

#20 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

I don't think the Volvo will be ready for this years event but next year and you guys have a very fun idea with the car pool. Split the fuel and lodging costs. The Volvo is long and skinny so I'm sure we can all fit with our refractors, that is all but your 10" Rob! I'm sure you also have a smaller one, and I know you do Keith. We will probably be very satisfied with a smaller scope at 8500ft.

Robert

Well we'll have to shoot for next year then..cuz I don't have a vehicle available. Yes I just made a very heavy 6"f/6.5. I don't have anything smaller. Everyhting else is 10 times larger or more. Actually I was just hoping to tag along...I want to meet everyone and hang and enjoy the company...I'm sure I can take a peek through somebodies scope.

I also have a nice large tent that can sleep 6 people..and it's pretty compact. No more room in the car then my 6"f/6.5 and head plus tripod would take up. Something to consider when planning.

Rob

#21 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Lewis Chilton the historian!! Added

I wish all you northern Soggy bottom boys Would come on down to CSPAMP Already!!!! :roflmao: ( LINK)You are Brining me a constant SORROW :foreheadslap:

#22 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

Lewis Chilton the historian!! Added

I wish all you northern Soggy bottom boys Would come on down to CSPAMP Already!!!! :roflmao: ( LINK)You are Brining me a constant SORROW :foreheadslap:

Clint..you're sucha tempter......I would probably ride with Robert..but I currently have no transportation for the drive down..and his car is not ready either.....Man I'd love to meet you all..and now you added Lew...Dang!

What a fantastic group of folks..I want to meet everyone attending.....

Rob(Maybe I'll have my transporter finished by then) :smirk:

#23 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

I'll try and make it, but like last year - I don't get vacation time as a contractor, so "no work, no eggs". I am getting with Bob to finish up the Maynard Clark scope part that's needed. It's still nice and shiny!

#24 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

I cannot make it unless I can find someone to carpool with from Michigan(pst me please!) I greatly enjoyed reading the threads last year on the star party and was wowed by the photography and the spirit of the gathering. Best wishes

#25 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Clint count me in! I'll bring my FS152 again. Notice anything different?

Attached Thumbnails

• 5240960-IMG_0233.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics